• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sforum1

Reaction score

Thanks! So if I did my calcs right, it looks like each size you go up in Vass translates to approx. 0.7815 units in UK sizing, which, as I also learned from reading this, is equivalent to 1 inch in length increase (and the same would be for US sizing).

With that being said, this also shows something else that is rather questionable. A UK size 10, is not equal to a US size 11 but somewhere between 10-10.5. Not what we've been told so far at all. Not sure what to make of this.

Last edited:

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! So if I did my calcs right, it looks like each size you go up in Vass translates to approx. 0.7815 units in UK sizing, which, as I also learned from reading this, is equivalent to 1 inch in length increase (and the same would be for US sizing).
Based on what I heard from Vass directly that's not the case. The caveat is I only asked them for advice on my own size, not their whole scale.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just took delivery of these from NMWA. Very happy.
44A48863-9824-4155-9393-E0E550AC9B25.jpeg
9FF3F565-2A70-41E2-82C6-ACC1F217DD15.jpeg
11C2BC1E-967C-4BE0-AD45-9F06CCECD030.jpeg
093555DA-EC8B-4830-93D0-89279AA2A915.jpeg

Andrew0409

Reaction score

With that being said, this also shows something else that is rather questionable. A UK size 10, is not equal to a US size 11 but somewhere between 10-10.5. Not what we've been told so far at all. Not sure what to make of this.

I feel like that's wrong. I wear a US 11 or a UK 10.

Andrew0409

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on some black cap toe oxfords in the F last. It's my first pair of nice shoes, am I supposed to condition the leather when it comes?

andrel42

Reaction score
Perhaps just my 5 cents if I can help with sizing as I have several pairs on the U and K lasts.

I wear a 44 in both Vass lasts (except loafers in in 43.5) and:

9.5 UK in Carmina / TLB / Meccariello / Crockett / Norman Vilalta
10E in Gaziano

Keep in mind that hand-lasting also means that sizing may differ very slightly.

Hope this helps!

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well to follow up on my earlier post; the two pairs of P last shoes I ordered just arrived and the fit is good in a size 45, which is a relief.

At the sale prices, these really are incredible value - handwelted shoes from great materials, lasted trees, and bags and good sturdy boxes as well.

Oh, and great service from Vass - I ordered last weekend, and originally the shoes were scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday. It was only due to the ongoing impact of Covid-19 on international couriers that they got held up a little.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well to follow up on my earlier post; the two pairs of P last shoes I ordered just arrived and the fit is good in a size 45, which is a relief.

At the sale prices, these really are incredible value - handwelted shoes from great materials, lasted trees, and bags and good sturdy boxes as well.

Oh, and great service from Vass - I ordered last weekend, and originally the shoes were scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday. It was only due to the ongoing impact of Covid-19 on international couriers that they got held up a little.

How's the length on the P last? I'm a perfect fit in the F last at 43. I'm considering a pair of the penny loafers myself which are of course on the P. I'm a little nervous about sizing down but they do look considerably wider than the F.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's the length on the P last? I'm a perfect fit in the F last at 43. I'm considering a pair of the penny loafers myself which are of course on the P. I'm a little nervous about sizing down but they do look considerably wider than the F.

Going on recall of trying on the F, I would say the length is probably similar between the two lasts but the (slightly) narrower toebox on the F means that depending on the shape of your foot you might want to go half a size up on F / down on P.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
83CA7373-CB66-42D6-90EF-7EA621DE5806.jpeg

From the sale - Budapester size 43. Pretty much a perfect fit. Ordered Saturday evening, received on Thursday afternoon in San Francisco.

Starlito

Reaction score
Being 8,5UK in EG 82 (a bit tight) and between 8 and 8,5 in Church’s 173 (consul) what size should I take in Vass F, U , K, 3636 lasts ?

My feet are 274 mm long x 110 mm wide with a quite high instep.

thanks a lot :)

Last edited:

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Sizing is a bit odd at the lower end. I am a 7g in church‘s 173 and found 41 in the 3636 slightly large. I’d say that page posted above with the conversion is accurate to my limited experience, where 7 was closer to 40.5. But who really knows.

ashellfan

Reaction score
Hi guys, my first pairs of Vas’s shoes arrived and it’s the first time I received shoes with patina polish and mirror shine done.

I normally brush, condition with Bick 4, cream polish the new shoes with other makers. For Vass, can I do the same? How would you guys do when you first received your pair?

Thanks in advance!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^If they already have patina and mirror shine, I wouldn't do anything to them for the time being.

It seems to me that it's not necessary at the moment and furthermore, if you add conditioner and new polish, you may spoil the existing finish.

Jblaze36wv

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

i recently purchased some Vass Alt English in Gold Museum calf. What do you all recommend for polishing and maintenance?

thinking Saphir Renovateur and mirror shine. But what color polish?

thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads