• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "Vass charm"

Vass sometimes have an "interesting" way of interpreting orders so that you what you think you ordered is not always what you get.

I suppose that it's all part of the charm of ordering from a relatively small, Hungarian shoemaker!

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a bit of a joke in this thread that occasionally the folks making the shoes don't conform exactly to what's on the order sheet. Some have even reported Mr. Vass deciding that the order was wrong and making the shoes the way that he thinks they should be made. We've collectively decided to treat this as charming, which it mostly is.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any recent prices on re-soling at the factory?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having had a Vass wholesale account for 5 or 6 years, the reports of "charm" are real. The frequency of mistakes on orders rose dramatically after Rezso left, at least in my experience. The other interesting thing about ordering from Vass, whether wholesale or retail is the pricing. I honestly cant say I was ever confident I knew what the price of a given shoe was going to be before receiving the invoice as there appeared to be some "charm" involved there as well. I should note that this sometimes manifested in me being charged less than I should have. I also ordered a pair of cordovan Budapesters once and had the price go up 200 Euro while they were being made because they updated the price list...

Still, I have 10 or 12 pair now and really love most of them.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Even when made according to specifications there can be substantial differences. As is well known sizing can be quite different from one pair to another. And I have two pairs in antique cognac that are a totally different colour. Same goes for the finishing of the shoes where one pair can be better made than another... Like @bdavro23 points out even pricing is not consistent, Ive never paid the same price for similar pairs, sometimes being surprised at how low their price quote was. All part of the charm indeed :)

maczach

Reaction score
Even when made according to specifications there can be substantial differences. As is well known sizing can be quite different from one pair to another. And I have two pairs in antique cognac that are a totally different colour. Same goes for the finishing of the shoes where one pair can be better made than another... Like @bdavro23 points out even pricing is not consistent, Ive never paid the same price for similar pairs, sometimes being surprised at how low their price quote was. All part of the charm indeed :)
Quite right, poor consistency between pairs... visiting their shop seems to be the best if you could fly all the way to Budapest LOL

LThomsen

Reaction score
Having had a Vass wholesale account for 5 or 6 years, the reports of "charm" are real. The frequency of mistakes on orders rose dramatically after Rezso left, at least in my experience. The other interesting thing about ordering from Vass, whether wholesale or retail is the pricing. I honestly cant say I was ever confident I knew what the price of a given shoe was going to be before receiving the invoice as there appeared to be some "charm" involved there as well. I should note that this sometimes manifested in me being charged less than I should have. I also ordered a pair of cordovan Budapesters once and had the price go up 200 Euro while they were being made because they updated the price list...

Still, I have 10 or 12 pair now and really love most of them.
[/QUO
When did Rezso leave?
I ordered a pair of oxfords from vass last fall and they were very nice especially for the price. At that time they were offering free shipping. I just checked and the vass website is not up.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite right, poor consistency between pairs... visiting their shop seems to be the best if you could fly all the way to Budapest LOL

I've only purchased my Vass (3 pairs) from visiting their store, trying them on first and pay cash. I even had the chance to meet Rezso.

Obviously this is not feasible in today's climate but Budapest have so many handmade shoe shops it's worth the visit for shoe lovers. It's a great city also with lots of history.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only purchased my Vass (3 pairs) from visiting their store, trying them on first and pay cash. I even had the chance to meet Rezso.

Obviously this is not feasible in today's climate but Budapest have so many handmade shoe shops it's worth the visit for shoe lovers. It's a great city also with lots of history.
I met Reszo in the London Trunk Show last year. Very nice person! Glad to see he started his own line now! I have been itching to visit Budapest for a while now, but traveling at this moment is ehm...not a great idea.

classybison

Reaction score
Personally not a fan of the Vass charm at the moment, just got a pair in (44.5 F) that is noticeably tighter than a pair in the same size and last that I tried on previously.

These are a fight to get on my feet and painful once they're on, but when I tried them on in a store the 45 had some slippage while the 44.5 was still snug but not uncomfortably so.

I love how they look and the quality of the construction of course, but I'm resigning to return these and look elsewhere (maybe AM or C&J) in the immediate future because I can't trust the sizing.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Personally not a fan of the Vass charm at the moment, just got a pair in (44.5 F) that is noticeably tighter than a pair in the same size and last that I tried on previously.

These are a fight to get on my feet and painful once they're on, but when I tried them on in a store the 45 had some slippage while the 44.5 was still snug but not uncomfortably so.

I love how they look and the quality of the construction of course, but I'm resigning to return these and look elsewhere (maybe AM or C&J) in the immediate future because I can't trust the sizing.
This has often been discussed on this thread and I've had the same experience with both the F and U last. But it keeps surprising me that sizing is still not consistent. Nowadays Enzo Bonafe is my first choice, similar quality of construction and more consistency in sizing and finishing. And EB's lasts are better suited to my high instep as well.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has often been discussed on this thread and I've had the same experience with both the F and U last. But it keeps surprising me that sizing is still not consistent. Nowadays Enzo Bonafe is my first choice, similar quality of construction and more consistency in sizing and finishing. And EB's lasts are better suited to my high instep as well.

How long have you worn EB for; when you say construction is similar do they handle use and wear as well as Vass does?

Meyboom

Reaction score
How long have you worn EB for; when you say construction is similar do they handle use and wear as well as Vass does?
My oldest pair of EB is about 5 years old, a full brogue oxford in etrusco calf on dainite sole. This is without a doubt the pair that I have worn most of my entire shoe collection. They hold up great, since they are on dainite there is no need for a resole and the uppers are still in perfect condition. So yes I think EB shoes are very well made and handle use and wear just as well as Vass. I do think however that the leather soles of Vass (JR soles) are sturdier than the ones used by EB, but most of my EB are either dainite or have factory installed topy.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could I get some sizing advice on the P2 and BP lasts? I'm a 12.5 UK in Carmina Forest, 13D in Alden Barrie.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, if I put in a UK address, it is deducting VAT and charging outside EU shipping charges.

So, anyone has any idea if VAT / any other duty will have to be paid during delivery ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads