• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed many times, but may I ask you guys the best address to email the guys at Vass? I am planning a trip to Budapest in September.

Is their workshop in the city?

Thanks.

Email Mr. Kuti. I just emailed him regarding the same (a trip to Budapest).

Here's the email address: [email protected]

Rock on.
Thank you!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Vass are made in Hungary while EG are made in England. Labor costs, tax and regulatory compliance costs, and other general costs of doing business are much higher in the UK than in Hungary.
What about Saint Crispin's? They're made in Romania and costs even more than EGs.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about Saint Crispin's? They're made in Romania and costs even more than EGs.

Volume and quality, I suppose. St.C makes only 1500 pairs per year. And they target the G&G/JL section of the market (read: the top), so their quality is commensurate with that goal.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Volume and quality, I suppose. St.C makes only 1500 pairs per year. And they target the G&G/JL section of the market (read: the top), so their quality is commensurate with that goal.
It's true that they target the top tier market, but that doesn't legitimize the pricing given their costs, especially vis-à-vis Vass' pricing. From a production cost perspective I believe there isn't much difference between StC and Vass. Although, I believe if Vass wants to raise prices, they need to have better quality control and eliminate mistakes such as forgetting specs etc. But I'm not complaining, excellent shoes for a very cometitive price.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
You have great info on all things Vass. Thanks for sharing.

No special insight; I just happened to be there a couple of weeks ago, asking about many of these things - first time I've been to Budapest, and went solely for shoe-related business.

Mimo, do you know when the new last will be released?

Not sure, but I do know that it's being made in England, and I think there might be more than one.

This is very interesting. It'd be interesting to know 1) why the collaboration with Ugolini for the U and F lasts wasn't a happy one, and 2) "a couple of new lasts"? Not just one?

Yep, I think he said they wanted to bring in two new ones. The thing about the U and F is that the arrangement was rather imposed upon them by Isetan: as a big customer, they had that leverage, and they asked Ugolini to go and make Vass's lasts "less ugly"! You can imagine that this dynamic is not exactly flattering to a man of Mr Vass's standing, and apparently Mr U wasn't especially respectful about the Austro-Hungarian tradition either. So I think that somehow the lasts are associated with a negative experience in their minds - even though they've sold so well internationally.

Hopefully they continue with the lower instep trend

All of Vass's own lasts have a more normal instep in my experience - along with wider standard width. The high insteps I would associate with the F, the U even more, and its Ascot lovechild the K, more still.

I know this has been discussed many times, but may I ask you guys the best address to email the guys at Vass? I am planning a trip to Budapest in September.

Is their workshop in the city?

Thanks.

Use the normal address - [email protected]; they will get back to you eventually. But visiting is definitely the way to go if you can.

Email Mr. Kuti. I just emailed him regarding the same (a trip to Budapest).

Here's the email address: [email protected]

Hungary should celebrate the contribution Vass is making to quality tourist numbers!

It's true that they target the top tier market, but that doesn't legitimize the pricing given their costs, especially vis-à-vis Vass' pricing.

St C versus Vass might also be explained by St C's having a more expensive retail presence: I'm sure having shops in Vienna is a lot more expensive than having them in Budapest. And I have to say, St C's QC standards do seem to be exceptional.

But for me, the more pressing point is about the Vass (or even St C) versus G&G/JL/EG: the latter are all machine-welted shoes, gemmed with glue to the insole, and therefore essentially no different to any other GY shoe in their structure, or labour cost. The lasts are lovely in many cases, the leather might be top notch, and the QC standards high. But for me the value proposition has never quite been good enough, and I can say honestly that I've never paid more for a GY shoe than I would for Vass - the most expensive being some AE shell and some C&J, on special offer.

I think St Crispin's are something of a middle way. Vass have their quirks, but remain great value for me. There will be other options, and I intend to arrange one personally by this time next year. ;)

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's true that they target the top tier market, but that doesn't legitimize the pricing given their costs, especially vis-à-vis Vass' pricing. From a production cost perspective I believe there isn't much difference between StC and Vass. Although, I believe if Vass wants to raise prices, they need to have better quality control and eliminate mistakes such as forgetting specs etc. But I'm not complaining, excellent shoes for a very cometitive price.

SC is selling through distributors/trunk shows, with shoes constructed in much finer quality compare to Vass.

Also, they do cater much more to their customers via tons of trunk shows world wide, which warrants part of the high price.

Vass, on the other hand, is still selling to Japan primarily. Their quality isn't as high as some of the other hand welted guys costing ~$1,000.

Good shoes. Price is great for the quality but doesn't mean they could easily increase the price. NMWA or Ascot shoes are selling it at ~$800+ already.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass is hand welted and hand stiched and SC is only hand welted.

Meermin (both lines), Carmina and Vass are best value for shoes IMO. Although I have no Meermin and many others GYW shoes.

Spanish GYW shoes (I will only mentión Berwick, Meermin, Carmina, Lottusse.... ) are top notch compare to english/americans for less than 300-350 euros.

The value proposition of Mimo is quite clever.

Just my two cents.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meermin QC is meh. Vass is slightly better but still not as good as higher end guys.

Vass hand stitching is pretty crude.

But Mimo is right. I always ask myself when I see new EG or G&G shoes: can I get the same at Vass.

I am experimenting something with Vass.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Meermin's Chinese GY shoes are what you would expect for the money. Carmina I like, a favourite in their price range. But I have just the same mental process as Chogall when I see those thousand dollar GY brands.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Vass is hand welted and hand stiched and SC is only hand welted.

Meermin (both lines), Carmina and Vass are best value for shoes IMO.  Although I have no Meermin and many others GYW shoes. 

Spanish GYW shoes (I will only mentión Berwick, Meermin, Carmina, Lottusse.... ) are top notch compare to english/americans for less than 300-350 euros.

The value proposition of Mimo is quite clever.

Just my two cents.

Add Bonafè to the list: hand-welted for under $600. Great lasts and leather quality.

Carmina is a great value, but leather quality isn't that great; I'm especially surprised that the colors/dying of the skins seem sub par compared to other stuff I've seen.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often read where people speak of value when comparing HW shoes to GYW shoes. However I've yet to read anyone state that because a shoe is hand welted that would equate to it lasting any longer than a GYW shoe, or that it would look any better than a GYW shoe, or that it would fit any better or wear any better than a GYW shoe. So where's the value?

It appears that the major difference is how the shoe is crafted and the effort that goes into making the shoe. An appreciation for the craftsmanship which is no small thing, but this again doesn't mean you can expect any better results. I mean gemming does not appear to occur that terribly often.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I often read where people speak of value when comparing HW shoes to GYW shoes. However I've yet to read anyone state that because a shoe is hand welted that would equate to it lasting any longer than a GYW shoe, or that it would look any better than a GYW shoe, or that it would fit any better or wear any better than a GYW shoe. So where's the value?

It appears that the major difference is how the shoe is crafted and the effort that goes into making the shoe. An appreciation for the craftsmanship which is no small thing, but this again doesn't mean you can expect any better results. I mean gemming does not appear to occur that terribly often.

I think DWF was saying by doing the shoe in handwelt, the maker have to use better material for the insole compare to GYW.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I often read where people speak of value when comparing HW shoes to GYW shoes. However I've yet to read anyone state that because a shoe is hand welted that would equate to it lasting any longer than a GYW shoe, or that it would look any better than a GYW shoe, or that it would fit any better or wear any better than a GYW shoe. So where's the value?

Well said.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add Bonafè to the list: hand-welted for under $600. Great lasts and leather quality.

Carmina is a great value, but leather quality isn't that great; I'm especially surprised that the colors/dying of the skins seem sub par compared to other stuff I've seen.
+1

agedashidofu

Reaction score
Not taking any sides on the HW or GYW argument as I own and enjoy both.

But none of this matters if the shoes don't fit :))

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads