• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Leave the U last if you have a wide forefoot. I have some, we're about the same size, and the wide width on U is OK across the ball but then sloppy in the heel and instep.

Get the F last in a 43G (wide). 43.5 will probably be a shade long. Go for the dark gold or brown museum, or for something more classic, I can strongly recommend oxblood or dark brown. Both the OEII and French Oxford are gorgeous. Get one of each.

striker

Reaction score
I've been thinking of a greek wingtip but not sure how versatile it might be.

Where in the hierarchy do they stand in terms of how formal they are in say a Navy or museum brown?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leave the U last if you have a wide forefoot. I have some, we're about the same size, and the wide width on U is OK across the ball but then sloppy in the heel and instep.

Get the F last in a 43G (wide). 43.5 will probably be a shade long. Go for the dark gold or brown museum, or for something more classic, I can strongly recommend oxblood or dark brown. Both the OEII and French Oxford are gorgeous. Get one of each.
How many pairs of Vass you have handeled Mimo?. You always give good advises.
smile.gif

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I currently have six pairs. I also visited Vass in person last week (among others).

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure you have handled quite a few more in your visit then.

grunberg

Reaction score
You should take a trip to Budapest, wonderful city.

Yes, I was there in teenage period.... Roman bathes were my main pleasure....The weather was bag though(((( Dark and gloomy, not a period for sightseeing....

May be some time in future I will visit it again and ofcourse will get bespoke Vass
nod[1].gif

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I was there in teenage period.... Roman bathes were my main pleasure....The weather was bag though(((( Dark and gloomy, not a period for sightseeing....

May be some time in future I will visit it again and ofcourse will get bespoke Vass  
nod%5B1%5D.gif

Yes Roman baths were my pleasure too. Visiting Vass in person is best solution, not only because you can try on shoes but also see what they look like in the real life.

grunberg

Reaction score

Mimo,

Does F last not sloppy in the heel? To tell you the truth I loooove sharp lines and Italian classic models.... Something a la G&G....It's a dream. If I was righ, I would have home overloaded with G&G... and etc.

I am not very wide in forefoot. To be more precise I have a little bunions on feet. I guess my width is standart. When I have tight fit (AS 99 last), I know it'll be ok with time.... But some models/last of shoes will have some deformation in ball area... some less, some more, some will stay as they are...

It's more aestetic precaution
biggrin.gif

Regards colour: What do you think of upper scotchgrain? I like gold museum....But want some other color (corresponding... a couple of shades darker may be) in scotchgrain in lacing...

By the way, I think darker lacing area must make the shoe more elegant... And to soften high instep.

grunberg

Reaction score
Yes Roman baths were my pleasure too. Visiting Vass in person is best solution, not only because you can try on shoes but also see what they look like in the real life.
Agree 100%, but it wan't be this year
ffffuuuu.gif
And I want Vass in this May as my birthday present to myself
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
F last is extremely elegant in person, and has the best-fitting waist and heel of any shoe I've tried. Rather similar to G&G in that regard, also JM Weston comes to mind. But unlike either of those, hand-welted and finished to a perfect smoothness in the lining. If you're a genuine 9.5, and only needed a touch more room in the ball on a standard E fit G&G, then take Reszo's advice and go 43.5 - the last should suit you well.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Sort of, yes, but I've decided U isn't the right last for me. I'm basically a 43G in either, but the instep becomes a bit sloppy when I go up a width in U, while the toe still isn't quite the right shape for me. It's OK, but needs to be better than OK. I have an F in 43.5 that is OK, but down a half and up a width is my true fit. Sizing up in U would make the extended toe a bit silly.

43 regular size is fine for me in Budapest and P2 - though I like the more snug waist of the F.

P.S. Talking of last names, we all know that F is for Firenze, U is for Ugolini, and K is for KevinFromAscotShoes. S, I discovered, is for Springline: 'twas they who developed this "English" last for Vass. It looked very similar to the Tricker's I was wearing when I was there last Thursday, though I didn't try it on.

Last edited:

grunberg

Reaction score
F last is extremely elegant in person, and has the best-fitting waist and heel of any shoe I've tried. Rather similar to G&G in that regard, also JM Weston comes to mind. But unlike either of those, hand-welted and finished to a perfect smoothness in the lining. If you're a genuine 9.5, and only needed a touch more room in the ball on a standard E fit G&G, then take Reszo's advice and go 43.5 - the last should suit you well.

Thanks for advise... I will definately consider F once more))))

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sort of, yes, but I've decided U isn't the right last for me. I'm basically a 43G in either, but the instep becomes a bit sloppy when I go up a width in U, while the toe still isn't quite the right shape for me. It's OK, but needs to be better than OK. I have an F in 43.5 that is OK, but down a half and up a width is my true fit. Sizing up in U would make the extended toe a bit silly.

43 regular size is fine for me in Budapest and P2 - though I like the more snug waist of the F.

P.S. Talking of last names, we all know that F is for Firenze, U is for Ugolini, and K is for KevinFromAscotShoes. S, I discovered, is for Springline: 'twas they who developed this "English" last for Vass. It looked very similar to the Tricker's I was wearing when I was there last Thursday, though I didn't try it on.

Wow that's interesting!

S looks like the 980 http://www.springline.net/mens.htm

jazzsol

Reaction score

Sort of, yes, but I've decided U isn't the right last for me.  I'm basically a 43G in either, but the instep becomes a bit sloppy when I go up a width in U, while the toe still isn't quite the right shape for me.  It's OK, but needs to be better than OK.  I have an F in 43.5 that is OK, but down a half and up a width is my true fit.  Sizing up in U would make the extended toe a bit silly.

P.S. Talking of last names, we all know that F is for Firenze, U is for Ugolini, and K is for KevinFromAscotShoes.  S, I discovered, is for Springline: 'twas they who developed this "English" last for Vass.  It looked very similar to the Tricker's I was wearing when I was there last Thursday, though I didn't try it on.

You went to Vass shop wearing a Tricker's shoe? Surprised they let you in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads