1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. danielyam

danielyam Well-Known Member

I wear the same size too.. I think you will do well with either 41 or 41.5 for f last

2. Eddielch

Eddielch Well-Known Member

Size 40 for F last

3. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

That seems... Odd. The guy is approximately an 8.5 US, yet a 40 maps to around a 7 US.

4. Eddielch

Eddielch Well-Known Member

sorry thats a typo, should be 41...haha

5. rc121

rc121 Senior member

I'd still go 41.5, especially with a chukka. You could always wear thicker socks if it's a hair big, but I'd rather have that then too small and uncomfortable.

6. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

1 person likes this.
  7. DrizztD

DrizztD Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

Thicker socks are not ideal, it's perpetual summer here.

Hope i have an incoming to show you guys soon!

8. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

If you can wait over the weekend I can give you comparo pics of 41 F Last vs Other lasts I have.

9. DrizztD

DrizztD Well-Known Member

I'm pretty set on F last, but pics are always welcomed!

It was between the F or P2, but since i would mostly be wearing this for work (shirt and trousers), i chose the slightly sleeker F, while retaining the option of wearing with jeans over the weekend.

The other narrower lasts would've looked off with jeans, and also for chukka, i prefer round toes.

Do these make sense?

10. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Yes it makes sense, F is likely your best choice if it fits of course. I love the aesthetics of the U last, but it is certainly more aggressive and "dressy".

11. kumarshyam42

kumarshyam42 New Member

So here I am, a new SF member, about to finalize the order for my first Vass shoe with Reszo.
    F last, Double Monk Cordovan, in Burgundy.

Still debating over Dainite or Leather sole. Reszo suggests Leather - so unless somebody else wants to convince me otherwise... :)

And now I just found out I am going to be in Romania in a couple of weeks (for work).
    Budapest is not that far, should I take the time out to go there for the weekend, try on different pairs and then buy?

What would you do?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  12. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Vass JR leather soles are top notch, I would not hesitate to get them for my first order, especially for DM.

1 person likes this.
  13. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

14. kumarshyam42

kumarshyam42 New Member

Thanks for replying. I am assuming DM means doublemonk.

Do you think a short trip to Budapest is warranted before the order?
    I live in Singapore, so not likely to go there that often!

15. kumarshyam42

kumarshyam42 New Member

Could you elaborate or point me to a post where you've already done so? Thanks!

16. ThunderMarch

ThunderMarch Senior member

There's nothing wrong with dainite, especially in our local climate, and if you intend to use it for wet weather.
    However, a little weird if you're pairing it with shell.
    That being said, JR soles are very sturdy. But even the sturdiest leather soles will suffer in the monsoon. You just need to be caught in the rain once, and coupled with our local 80/90% humidity, and you're GUARANTEED to have mold growing on the soles in a few days. Once it sets in, it's irreversible.

17. justonemore

justonemore Senior member

Dainite is not as pretty as leather soles...That's many people's problem here. Mention toppies or Dainite, or anything capable of handling being walked on in snow and rain, and some people just flip out. Some of these people have no idea what snow is let alone alone walking up and down hill in it a couple hours a day. Last year I fell 3 times on the same freakin hill on a single journey down. I'm a big guy..and although I hate to admit it, I'm not 20 anymore...When I fall, it hurts...and it hurts for a week...So to me, I don't much care what someone on the other side of the planet thinks as to what soles I have on my footwear during the winter months in Switzerland. Do I think Dainite looks good? No...But just as with sizing, a shoe need to be practical for what it is expected to do. So although the very vast majority of my collection is leather...I myself find a that there is a call for Dainite (on winter shoes/boots). These same types pretty much just take the elevator down to their car and can't understand why someone that walks miles a day over cobblestones and up and down hills might put toppies on their shoes...as if the leather soles are going to look decent after being pounded pounded on anyways. Of course someone might have a preference over Dainite...but as of yet, it seems Dainite is the main contender for most makers.

3 people like this.
  18. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I tried Dainite for just that reason with some EGs. Didn't take long at all before the spikes got worn down by pavement, which then made the shoes behave like roller skates. Got them resoled with double leather.

Now if I get rubber soles, it's the thin flat kind from EG or G&G. You can get those double thickness if you want. Ridgeway could also work, I guess. Last I checked, Vass doesn't offer either one.

1 person likes this.
  19. justonemore

justonemore Senior member

Excellent to know...Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for that in the future. I only have 3 pairs with Dainite and I just started trying it out this past winter.

The soles you're mentioning look a bit like a toppy? If so Vass does offer this...At least according to this chart (last option).....

[​IMG]

20. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

amazing skins. what did you do to get them to not use the typical caiman?