• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who does not?
satisfied.gif

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i want another pair of vass while euro is weak in relation to $$$$. vass for less

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand. Your consumer capacity is going to boost with regard eu items. Hope prices will not increase here, lol!!. Wait a bit, the exchange rates will be even better for you.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah i expect vass to increase prices if this continues this year. do you expect euro to keep falling?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit more, yes. The problem is good leather prices going up cause of demand, I believe.

jssdc

Reaction score
I don't know that Vass would necessarily raise prices in response to a falling euro. Their costs (leather, labor, overhead) are going to be in euro (for the leather) and forints (for the rest), while their revenue streams will be a mix of the two. So the real relationship that matters is not USD/EUR but HUF/EUR. I don't follow this closely any longer but I thought that the forint had fallen against the dollar more or less in line with the euro. But from Vass's perspective, since they don't charge in dollars and don't carry costs in dollars, this movement isn't a problem. In fact it's pure positive since it encourages NAMOR (and me) to go out and buy shoes that we may not have otherwise bought.

The rising leather prices, of course, are entirely separate from that.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know that Vass would necessarily raise prices in response to a falling euro. Their costs (leather, labor, overhead) are going to be in euro (for the leather) and forints (for the rest), while their revenue streams will be a mix of the two. So the real relationship that matters is not USD/EUR but HUF/EUR. I don't follow this closely any longer but I thought that the forint had fallen against the dollar more or less in line with the euro. But from Vass's perspective, since they don't charge in dollars and don't carry costs in dollars, this movement isn't a problem. In fact it's pure positive since it encourages NAMOR (and me) to go out and buy shoes that we may not have otherwise bought.

It was implied from my statements that prices could be risen up because of the increasing of your demand (USA). I was just playing around
cool.gif
, but it could be the main factor.

gam29

Reaction score

I don't know that Vass would necessarily raise prices in response to a falling euro.  Their costs (leather, labor, overhead) are going to be in euro (for the leather) and forints (for the rest), while their revenue streams will be a mix of the two.  So the real relationship that matters is not USD/EUR but HUF/EUR.  I don't follow this closely any longer but I thought that the forint had fallen against the dollar more or less in line with the euro.  But from Vass's perspective, since they don't charge in dollars and don't carry costs in dollars, this movement isn't a problem.  In fact it's pure positive since it encourages NAMOR (and me) to go out and buy shoes that we may not have otherwise bought.

Not entirely true...their shell cordovan is sourced from Horween in the US

grunberg

Reaction score
Hello!

I would appreciate help in determining my size in Vass, as I am going to purchase 1st pair of that brand. I feel that the more I read about fitting, I am getting unsure even more. I am not experienced in buying such shoes. Mostly I buy at Yoox and so on (testoni, santoni, fratelli rossetti). I have several pairs of English brands - C&J, G&G, AS. But due to my inexperienced past most with fitting problems (I have high instep and wide feet in ball joint area).

My fittings:
G&G - 9,5 E with modification to F in ball area (all good but due to high instep can't lace up it properly (the're Wigmores))
AS - last 99 - 9F - very, very tight fit. Again proplem with instep (they are monks)....close buckles on second holes (both)
C&J last 348 E - were tight, after long breaking in wide area - ok
C&J last 325 E - ok (only tried on)

Rezso Kuti said it must be ok for me to take 9,5 (normal width) in U last which I prefer. But I saw on the forum info that U is very very tight... I asked him to send me girth measurements of ball area and instep (waiting it after his return to Budapest).

Can someone give advice? I am considering U last 9,5 or 9 in G. Will shoe be proportioned ok in G width? And is it ok to take G if you have wide foot only in ball area? I have another not very good experience with testonis (9 size) in G (normal) and H (wide). G was tight but then came ok. But H is Wide for me (even in ball area)....strange...I can use them ok with heel holder straps - they fit very generous.

grunberg

Reaction score
I also would appreciate help in style advice. I am considering French Oxford or Old English II (1st prefer more) with toe cap. I am not sure in colour and material (their combination). I tought to make shoe in some museum calf (all colours counts except brown). Upper (lacing part) considering making of scotchgrain (maybe suede but scotchgrain preferable). I want to make shoe less formal, more stylish maybe and for everyday use and purpose.

Some variants:

1 - plum museum/lacing in oxblood scotchgrain
2 - navy museum/lacing in blue or black scotchgrain (I know that there are many who doesn't love navy
nod[1].gif
)
there, example of blue one: http://madetoorderparis.com/site/nouveaute/gaziano-girling/

3 - gold museum/lacing in ... haven't any ideas for now

and ofcourse 4 - one colour museum

Any ideas?

velomane

Reaction score
grunberg,

When I'm deciding on a makeup, I'll scroll through all the pics that have been posted in the thread to see what others have done. If you go to the top of the page, there's a window entitled "Recent Images in this thread", from there, click on "see all" and enjoy the show.

grunberg

Reaction score
Ooo, I have seen a lot of old makings... And depending on them I am considering several variants. Thought may be someone can give advice...People have ordered Vass, saw them in real life so to say... saw some fitures that can be deceaving on pictures... As someone said regards goofish look of Vass italian Oxford. There are a lot of pictures on which all Vass oxfords are goofish
smile.gif
due to taking photos from ahead, making toe looking too big, long, massive.... And it's hard to get impression on leathers colour. I see Vass (here in this thread) oxblood reddish black, than brown, them very dark burgundy... gold museum color very light (as cognac may be), then more rich colour with patina.... It's all very confusing
uhoh.gif

But mostly I wanted size advize...

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ooo, I have seen a lot of old makings... And depending on them I am considering several variants. Thought may be someone can give advice...People have ordered Vass, saw them in real life so to say... saw some fitures that can be deceaving on pictures... As someone said regards goofish look of Vass italian Oxford. There are a lot of pictures on which all Vass oxfords are goofish :)  due to taking photos from ahead, making toe looking too big, long, massive.... And it's hard to get impression on leathers colour. I see Vass (here in this thread) oxblood reddish black, than brown, them very dark burgundy... gold museum color very light (as cognac may be), then more rich colour with patina.... It's all very confusing :uhoh:

But mostly I wanted size advize...

You should take a trip to Budapest, wonderful city.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads