1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Thank you sir, honestly it could be my picture. When I compare it to my other vass shoes/boot on U last they look same to me.

2. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

I am ordering a pair of Chukkas in mid brown suede, but I am having trouble deciding between U and F last. U seems like it would be a little more formal like a Crockett chukka, while F last seems like it is trying to be both formal and casual. Thoughts from the group, especially from those who have either?

Thanks!

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

f last is like a turkey sandwich, and u last feels likes a turkey sandwich with alfalfa and no mayo

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

Umm, what does this mean? :)

1 person likes this.
  5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I don't think either is more formal. Just chisel versus sleek round. I have plenty of Vass U last shoes. The only chukkas I have of theirs are F last. Wouldn't swap them for U. Also wouldn't rule out getting a pair in U down the road. Which is a long way of saying get the ones you like - it's just a matter of preference anyway.

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Dry and bitter?

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

youre absolutely useless to any thread ive seen you on. is there anything you can contribute to this conversation?

if the next post you make is insightful and useful, it would be your first

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

what can be said there are so many images online :(

open ended question only lead to more questions: i mean are you looking for casual shoe, are you looking to wear it formally? will it be both? do you have any other chiseled shoes? or are they mostly rounded toes?

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

just in the past 48 hours. looking at these handsome pics gives you a pretty good ideal of what an f or u last chukka brown suede chukka will look like

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Hey man. I meant the quip above in what I detected to be the tongue-in-cheek spirit of your description. If you were being completely serious, then I'm sorry that I (and several others, it seems) couldn't make sense of your reply regarding sandwiches.

As for my posts having value, I guess it would depend on whom you ask. I've given fitting advice across many brands to others like me who need extra wide fittings or have questions about "lesser" brands that you're openly not interested in. Therefore, I'll overlook this comment, since you clearly have no reason to find any of my knowledge useful.

I have, on the other hand, enjoyed your often insightful contributions, and can even appreciate the pithier ones that seem to have no purpose other than banter. Like the comment I made above that offended you.

11. sdfzs

sdfzs Senior member

So interesting given that i experience most leather sourced from Tärnsjö to be pretty thick when coming from Skoaktiebolaget. Given that i have found it excellent for more sturdy modells and never actually considered it suitable for a shaft. On the Skoaktiebolaget thread i think more was of this opinion and it was even noted that given the thickness Tärnsjö grain rolls a bit like cordovan when breaking in.

Location of the tannery in question btw, https://goo.gl/maps/RMpAEvhuaav. Note though that the county side of Sweden are not that well covered by Street View and similar.

12. oxfordsandties

oxfordsandties Senior member

Hey guys,

I would really like to get a pair of Vass on the F last but I have no experience on this last. I hear it is comparable to rain but I have some minor heel slip at 11UK so I am a bit cautious...any advice?

13. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

It is nothing like Rain, which is closer to U in my mind. Rain seems to have more "dead"—wasted?—space, but U is closer to the foot. U last appears to have a sharper chisel, whereas Rain is a soft square.

1 person likes this.
  14. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

I believe Vass to quite possibly be the finest price to quality ratio in the world today...

Every time I visit this thread I wonder why I don't own a pair...

15. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  16. ecwy

ecwy Senior member

I have both. The vass one feels thinner.

17. FrogTO

FrogTO Well-Known Member

Here is my recent addition before and after a rushing due to heavy rain:

(thanks to @Jokb for both the shoes and shine)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I always like alfalfa in my sandwiches.

I am still waiting for No Man Walks Alone to re-stock a pair of F last oxfords. It shall be my one and only black dress shoe.

19. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Nice shoes, with the rounded old buckles wich I love.

1 person likes this.
  20. papercut

papercut Well-Known Member

Hey guys, according to ascot shoes, F fits similarly to U. U last does not fit me and im into rounder lasts recently.

Have tried searching for sizing advice on R, P2 and Peter last but most posts do not have comparisons with Carminas - the only brand I have.

Carmina Rain, Inca UK8. Tried in-store and fit is great.
    Simpson UK8.5, fits well apart from the joint below the pinky toe (small portion below the toe box)

Vass: Tried very briefly.
    Vass F last: 42 length slightly long, could put a finger in.
    U last 41.5 tight in toe-box, instep is high too, could put a finger in

Seems Iike U and F aren't compatible.

I've asked Reszo for his advice but would also like 'real-world' advice.

Thank you very much.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016