1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I still think I'd choose a chukka, jodhpur or Chelsea first. But DAMN! [​IMG]

2. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

I know much of this comes down to personal preference and often cannot easily be articulated but I am curious why you guys find the Double Monk version to be unappealing but the single monk is something you would really want? Ignoring (as much as you can) the aesthetic differences between G&G and Vass.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

For me it's the aesthetic of the last. It's just gorgeous.

To be clear, I Am also a fan of Vass lasts.

I think most of the revulsion to the photo I posted had to do with the colors and mix of suede and calf. I did clearly say that I was considering 100% grain leather, either dark brown or oxblood, but words are easily missed when a picture is posted. :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  4. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

I actually really like this example by C&J:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. peppercorn78

Yes, that's the one that I fell in love with. However, not available in my size (width), and Vass fits me superbly, so I thought I'd go with their version.

6. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

If you search Google images for Vass double monk boot, there are several out there where the buckles wrap higher like the C&J. I'd just show Reszo what you really want and he probably has something similar, or can make a modification.

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Purely personal preference but I just find double monk boots a bit.... much. It's not that they are too dandified - button boots are arguably more so and I like them. It's just that I don't find the aesthetics to be appealing. Maybe it's the widely splayed buckles. Triple monk boots I find to be positively hideous.

Avoiding contrasting colours and materials definitely helps, but still just not enough to put them on my purchase radar.

But I don't expect everyone to share my preferences, nor do I perceive my preferences as marking the hard boundaries of good taste.

8. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

@RogerP thanks for the response and your thoughts. I can see certain aspects of why people would find them unappealing or less so than others, and of course personal taste and style are always a very important factor.

I probably have a similar perspective on button boots or more like what Namor had said, I can appreciate them and I like seeing the photos, but I would never buy them, or if I did they would never be worn as they just do not fit with me personal style and I would be uncomfortable wearing them, they would be wearing me so to speak. But my opinions and tastes are always evolving to some degree, I was adamant against Chelsea boots and they are really starting to appeal to me now.

I always like hearing your thoughts, much appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  9. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Vass boties will better wrap your foot around (the position of the straps). Hope you get them and post some pics.

I had no money for JL booties, so I had to go for these
    :[​IMG]

Yeah, I am pushing you to pull the trigger, hahaha.

10. peppercorn78

Yes, I have seen them, and while I think the higher wrapped buckles are perhaps more aesthetically pleasing, I thing the lower second buckle may provide more stability and also make it easier to take on and off without having to unbuckle both straps.
    I hear you, and I respect and appreciate everyone's opinion (I did ask after all). :) your photos have inspired more than one of my purchases!
    I've always wanted a Chelsea boot, and finally have a pair! I think this might be next. Or the jodhpur. Damn, I can't decide.
    Are those JL double monks? Or something else?

11. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Something much cheaper, Meermin LM, hahaha (you could say a reasonable copy of JL William). I am waiting for a JL DM WII shoe in pewter MC, hopefully they will arrive this month (no money enough for 2 JL´s, lol)

12. peppercorn78

Oh, well they look very nice. Actually the Meermin DM boot is very attractive!

To be clear, I can't really afford JL either, the only pair I own was discontinued first choice stock from Nick at BE, and the black jodhpurs I was mulling over are the same. They're about half price...

13. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

I am scared of buying any JL because of what's going on with BE but with you on jodhpur.

14. peppercorn78

I know some folks are unhappy, but I got my pair of Sauntons after 3 weeks and it was definitely worth the wait. I understand that others have had worse luck and are frustrated.

Nick didn't actually respond to any of my emails, though, as I neglected to add trees to the order and desperately wanted to but oh well...

15. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Do you have the details on this pair? This could be a great makeup to try out! Maybe on the U or K last to keep the elegance too!

16. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

It's one of G&G's new models they have been promoting this week (Cotswold, DG70). And yes, several Vass lasts would work. Plain toe F is very nice as well.

[​IMG]

17. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I could not agree more. One of the best sleek round-toe lasts out there, IMO.

2 people like this.
  18. kidvitor

kidvitor Member

Double monks on K last from Ascot

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  19. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ AbsoluteLy killer.

20. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member