1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

U last oxblood monks with baggy BB Madison fit trews...

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  2. jokb

jokb Senior member

Not exactly what you mentioned but here's an example of double monks in gold museum (dark) in K last. I think the double monk looks sleek on a chiselled/narrow toe last like the U or the K. As for the leather, if it were mine, the double monk is versatile enough so I'll go with any museum colour

[​IMG]

3. peppercorn78

If this is your first time and you haven't been able to nail your sizing down, Mr. Kuti may try to dissuade you from taking the first plunge with museum or shell, since they're both more expensive. If the sizing doesn't work out (and it truly can be a gamble), your tears will be $100 or $200 bigger.

If you're going for a chiseled, Italian look, then U and K are awesome. But they do both run quite narrow. I think F and R are also good options for a more rounded, English look.

I was sold on oxblood calf for mine after seeing RogerP's incredible pair. It is truly a super-versatile chameleon color: can look either dark burgundy, dark brown, or even black under different lighting conditions.

1 person likes this.
  4. mgrod17

mgrod17 Member

Thanks for all the input! I've spoken with Ascot, and luckily for me, the owner has the same pair of CJ's as me, so it appears sizing won't be an issue. Sammy at Ascot suggested calf burgundy over museum plum because it will contrast better with a burnished toe. Has anyone seen either of these combos?

My concern is the pics of calf burgundy on the Vass website appear a bit browner than I'd like. I'm looking for a true burgundy shoe here, so any thoughts would be appreciated. The $200 upcharge for the cordovan seems a bit steep, so I've narrowed my choice to the burgundy calf and museum plum.

5. ThunderMarch

ThunderMarch Senior member

There seems to be a fairly diverse interpretation of what constitutes burgundy, among different shoe makers. If it is a purplish shade you are looking for, then go for oxblood. If it is a more reddish tone you are looking for, then go for their bordeaux calf.
    I do agree, plum museum would prob not go very well with burnishing, as the mottling and burnishing together, may look too "busy". Burnishing probably goes best with "plain" calf.

6. peppercorn78

I don't have any Bordeaux calf, but I've got plenty of color 8 shell, and both plum museum and oxblood. Oxblood is most definitely the brownest. Plum is very purple, and color 8, of course varies by maker and by batch.

For the reddest, definitely go with Bordeaux / burgundy.

1 person likes this.
  7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

You should check out the premium EG charges for shell. Even Bonafe has a steeper surcharge.

I'm not sure what you mean by true burgundy, but this boot is in Bordeaux - calf and shell.

[​IMG]

Oxblood is a much deeper shade, with more brown in the mix.

[​IMG]

Actually, I've seen Ascot do a few shoes and boots with a combo of Bordeaux and Oxblood and they were awesome.

4 people like this.
  8. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

RogerP my man, your pictures are just killing it [​IMG][​IMG]

9. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

@RogerP What last are those monks on and what size did you take?

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Thanks bud.

K last and I wear the same 43 that I take in U and F.

11. deecee147

deecee147 Member

I'm a 8.5uk (43.5) in Joseph Cheaney 205 last, I like a snug, close fitting shoe and i'm after a similar fit in some Vass boots. I'm looking at the U-last, would an 8.5uk be ok? I'm not able to try and on and appreciate it's a difficult thing to judge/answer online.

Also, as far as MTO goes do any particular leathers increase price (other than cordovans). I'm thinking things like the museum calf leathers.

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I don't know anything about Cheaney, but I would not have thought that 8.5 UK translates to 43.5 in any brand. I generally wear a 9UK (EG, G&G, Cleverly, most Carmina) and take a 43 from Vass for all lasts except P2 where I size down by a half. 43.5 would be more of an equivalent to UK 9.5 in most brands, I believe. Do you have any other make / size / last data points to go on?

13. deecee147

deecee147 Member

Apologies, my mistake I meant a 42.5.

No Cheaney were the first "proper" shoe that I have purchased. Now I'm onto my first "proper" boot!

I'm a uk9 in all other standard shoes, trainers etc. But the 8.5uk in the Cheaney felt lots better, the 9 in the Cheaney just felt too big all round.

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Okay well you're clearly either a 43 or 42.5 in Vass U. This last is reasonably snug-fitting to begin with (primarily in the toe box). If you are a UK 9 in most other brands (as I am) then I think it safer to go with 43 since the Cheaney seems to be an outlier for you at UK 8.5.

15. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Totally agree, go with 43. I think the Cheaney last is likely roomier and this is why you find them to fit better than your UK9.
    The one caveat I would give is that if the toebox is where you're lacking room then U may not work for you at all

16. deecee147

deecee147 Member

Hi @RogerP - what colours do you have on these here - i'm trying to decide which colour boots to get (looking through the various Brown's in the Vass images on here).

17. peppercorn78

@RogerP do you have any examples of Vass grain leather IRL? I'm trying to decide between brown or oxblood grain for a chukka makeup.

18. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Those are three shades of Cognac,of which Vass has about 5 different shades. I don't recall the exact names. Best to send the pic to whomever you are ordering through if this is the combo you want. I know Ascot does a lot of shoes and boots in this combo.

Peppercorn, I had a brown grain / calf combo tall boot and will post the pics for you later today.

Cheers

19. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

See the boots in my sig for an example of brown scotch grain

20. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

^First time a see a boot on the 3636 last. They are great!!.