1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Mica2015

Mica2015 Well-Known Member

I am asking because I feel like the whole ordering process advertised online is for MTO only. I just want a RTW pair.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  2. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

I am sure you guys do not want to know.[​IMG]

3. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Yes this is correct. I have the narrow width.

If you are in between you can also get a full sock liner to add in, which would help raise your foot up slightly, effectively decreasing the width by about 1/4 - 1/2 width.

Hope that helps.

4. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Yes width for a shoe is the overall volume or circumference around the shoe. When width goes up or down the actual sole "width" does change but the height of the shoe changes as well because volume is a three dimensional measurement. Just because someone's foot is wider doesn't mean that their foot won't have more volume due to a change in the height of the instep.

This can vary from the soft tissue (i.e. Fat, muscle, skin) but can also be the osseus (bone) structure of their foot. This is why some people will be able to tolerate different widths for sizing even is their foot has the same measurements. You need to evaluate if the width or lack there of, for your foot is soft tissue or bone. If it is bone, you will need a better fitting shoe because the foot will not change shape as much. If you have a lot of soft tissue, the foot can move around a bit more due to the nature of that tissue, which allows that person to tolerate tightness in some places by that same tissue moving to fill in other areas of the shoe to get a better fill of the shoe.

A Boney narrow foot will need the best fit because nothing moves and the foot needs a near perfect last or the shoe will have many areas of leather that cause weird creasing due to the lack of volume.

A wide or high volume but Boney foot needs a good fit, because any tight spots can cause added pressure and irritation on the bones that doesn't have extra soft tissue cushioning them.

Hope that helps to clarify things a bit.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

For what it's worth, greater width doesn't automatically necessitate extra height, esp. not when we focus on the foot itself. Unfortunately standard lasts seldom reflect real life feet...a statistical average of common foot types, perhaps. This is why...all other things being equal...obsessing about last shapes (esp. in RTW footwear) for any reason other than aesthetics is wildly misinformed and misguided. It's magical thinking and not much else.

As a maker, whose primary concern is the foot...with all its idiosyncrasies...but nevertheless ever mindful of the shoe and how it affects the foot (and vice versa) I have to express some reservation regarding a...shall we say...somewhat more ready tolerance vis-a-vis fit for any foot configuration.

It's true that a meaty, high volume foot has more cushioning and so may not experience immediate discomfort. But cushioning is not fit and the worst part of it is that any cushioning...internal or external...tends, more often than not, to camouflage a misfit. Sometimes egregious misfits. And if not fit properly, the meaty, high volume foot will create and experience problems just as surely as a boney foot, if only in the long run. It will almost always walk over the welt, for one obvious example.

Fit is fit, cushioning doesn't confer any immunity to foot problems that can develop from misfit footwear.

--

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  6. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

They still have some hides left of a vegetable tanned grain leather from the Swedish tannery Tärnsjö from when we made a collaboration boot with it last year. Here's pics and more info about the leather.

1 person likes this.
  7. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

[​IMG]
    Vass Whiskey Shell Boot Maiden Voyage !!

6 people like this.
  8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

those look fantastic! were those from notch? would love to see how they age

1 person likes this.
  9. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

NAMOR yes sir !!

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Whoah how did u get whiskey from Vass??

I thought they only had Bordeaux and cigar right now.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  11. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Pepper not sure what all they have but I picked these bad boy from notch

12. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Has anyone seen Vass scotch grain cordovan?

13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

no, have you??

14. mw313

mw313 Senior member

I agree in that the meaty foot will be able to tolerate more for the short term and may start to develop problems in the long term but it also depends on how much that shoe is worn too.

Of course it is best for one to have a personal last to accommodate all of the options and idiosyncrasies of a foot, but since most can't do that they have to make due in the best way they can.

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

both! r last looks like cj 325 while the f last looks more like an elongated 341

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

any updates on how these have worn???

17. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Thanks Bro.

I've been tryin to get me a pair of Vass for a minute...

But my boy @Notch done fell off...

Everybody else is sayin no exotic hides...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  18. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

you want exotic? order burgundy and cross your fingers!

3 people like this.
  19. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Is Notch no longer doing his proxy service?

I know he told me (late August, if memory serves) that he would be out of country for roughly 3+ months, so this could be what's accounting for any issues?

20. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

I hope so. Glad you told me that.

At first, everybody was like; "No more cordovan oxford boots..."

Then, they was like; "No more whiskey and the like..."

Now, their like; "No more cordovan at all..."

I'm about to roll the dice with some burgundy and hope for the best.