The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Guero

Guero Senior member

My P2 PTB in antique cognac shell, and white Goyser.

Does the appearance of these new P2's mean that packages from Hungary by way of Hong Kong will be arriving soon to brighten our dreary winter days??

2. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Does the appearance of these new P2's mean that packages from Hungary by way of Hong Kong will be arriving soon to brighten our dreary winter days??

I dug these out from my stash. Good things come to those who wait [​IMG]

3. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

[​IMG]

Is this an F-Last austerity brogue in oxblood? If so, that is the exact shoe that I am thinking of ordering. Does anyone else have pictures of this (or other) F-Last austerity brogues?

Thanks a lot!

4. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Does Vass offer a re-crafting service for when you need your soles replaced? And what's the pricing like?

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

My P2 PTB in antique cognac shell, and white Goyser.

I really like the Alden shell PTB, but I think the Vass P2 lasted PTB might be even nicer looking (in addition to being better constructed). I'd love to get a pair of matching P2 lasted Longwings and PTBs. They really are very nice.

6. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

I really like the Alden shell PTB, but I think the Vass P2 lasted PTB might be even nicer looking (in addition to being better constructed). I'd love to get a pair of matching P2 lasted Longwings and PTBs. They really are very nice.

[​IMG]

I like the 3 eyelet blucher very much. Sleek and simple. Thinking of getting one just like this on the F last, but in black - rather than getting the Oxford. Any thoughts on whether to go for Italian polish or plain, and on whether to add a toe-cap?

7. tsasls

tsasls Well-Known Member

Italian polish might make a black shoe stand out among other shoes,but some have mentioned the polish does not last over time.
    A cap toe would counter the sleek 3 eyelet blucher look. If you choose a cap toe it would look better on an oxford.

8. Guero

Guero Senior member

I like the 3 eyelet blucher very much. Sleek and simple. Thinking of getting one just like this on the F last, but in black - rather than getting the Oxford. Any thoughts on whether to go for Italian polish or plain, and on whether to add a toe-cap?

No thoughts on Italian polish or plain, but I would not put a toe cap on these shoes. It would look a bit like a Frankenshoe as the three eyelet derby is really meant to have, at most, a medallion on the toe -- it is most frequently simply a plain toe that demonstrates the elegant shape of the last.

9. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

Some Vass double monk damage

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. theyare

theyare Senior member

^ what last are those on?
    look too sleek for F and too rounded for U

11. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

^ what last are those on?
    look too sleek for F and too rounded for U

They are almost certainly the F last. IMO, the larger the shoe, the sleeker and more appealing the F last becomes. I find the reverse is true with the U last.

12. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

13. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Italian polish might make a black shoe stand out among other shoes,but some have mentioned the polish does not last over time.
    A cap toe would counter the sleek 3 eyelet blucher look. If you choose a cap toe it would look better on an oxford.

cheers I guess it's like any paint: gloss goes to matt eventually. the Italian polish in my experience has developed a kind of pearly patina - and under it thousands of almost microscopic wrinkles like a slightly deflated football - it actually looks pretty good

No thoughts on Italian polish or plain, but I would not put a toe cap on these shoes. It would look a bit like a Frankenshoe as the three eyelet derby is really meant to have, at most, a medallion on the toe -- it is most frequently simply a plain toe that demonstrates the elegant shape of the last.

thanks guys yeah it was a bit of a uh dumb idea and having slept on it I agree with you the cap would prob mess up the lines of a shoe that 's pretty terrific anyway

14. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

They are almost certainly the F last. IMO, the larger the shoe, the sleeker and more appealing the F last becomes. I find the reverse is true with the U last.
    think you could be onto something there but not sure why - something about the balance of the design. I'm 10.5 in U, which is not huge, but they can look dare I say a tinsy bit snouty from some angles. The F on the other hand being more restrained looks good in any size IMO cos no element features over any other, everything is well-proportioned - very similar to the AS 48, but slightly pointier in the toe. F = [​IMG]

15. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]