The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

I actually prefer the somewhat more matte finish of unpolished shell so that works for me!

it is ok for weekend shoes or in a more casual setting where you can get away with it but not ideal i find shoes that look like that a little scuffy

2. rioni

rioni Senior member

Can anyone ID all the specs for this shoe? color/last/style? Trying to figure out which two shoes to go with for my first order. I was going to go with an oxblood plain captoe (ulast) and maybe this one? any other suggestions would be appreciated [​IMG] way too many options [​IMG]

3. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

Can anyone ID all the specs for this shoe? color/last/style? Trying to figure out which two shoes to go with for my first order. I was going to go with an oxblood plain captoe (ulast) and maybe this one? any other suggestions would be appreciated [​IMG] way too many options

[​IMG]

those are mine, so they are antique congac calf

4. economiayocio

economiayocio Senior member

5. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Can anyone ID all the specs for this shoe? color/last/style? Trying to figure out which two shoes to go with for my first order. I was going to go with an oxblood plain captoe (ulast) and maybe this one? any other suggestions would be appreciated [​IMG] way too many options [​IMG]
    "Berkeley", antique cognac calf, F last.

6. banis

banis Senior member

7. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

The question is: do you still have them? [​IMG]

8. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

[​IMG]

Banis what colour, leather and last please?

9. banis

banis Senior member

It is P2 last in cognac shell.

10. Flimsychicken

Flimsychicken Senior member

Can anyone ID all the specs for this shoe? color/last/style? Trying to figure out which two shoes to go with for my first order. I was going to go with an oxblood plain captoe (ulast) and maybe this one? any other suggestions would be appreciated [​IMG] way too many options

"Berkeley", antique cognac calf, F last.

The question is: do you still have them? [​IMG]

Actually, I believe I am the owner of said shoes. Love 'em too! Thanks again, Kolecho.

11. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

it is ok for weekend shoes or in a more casual setting where you can get away with it but not ideal i find shoes that look like that a little scuffy

There's a time and a place for both styles! :^)

12. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Wow! Those are so nice. Definitely my next vass purchase

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Another disappointment: the original Peter is ridiculously narrow for me. So if I try a Norweger from them it will have to be on one of the less-graceful lasts.

i find the 3636 very graceful myself.

If you can swing the time and plan to get a lot of shoes, a flight to Budapest would be a decent investment. While I wouldn't say that Vass is necessarily better or even as good as any other choice in every circumstance, if you find a last that fits you will save buckets of money compared to a wardrobe of bespoke or even Edward Green MTO. And you might run into an un-thought-of option that surprises you pleasantly. In any case, 15 minutes on the ground there could save several months of faxes, postage, fund transfers-- and disappointments.

this.

btw, how did your balint experience went.

14. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

The ladies in the shop suggested that I shouldn't bother. Which is a shame, because their oxfords are often most attractive.

Another disappointment: the original Peter is ridiculously narrow for me. So if I try a Norweger from them it will have to be on one of the less-graceful lasts.

If you can swing the time and plan to get a lot of shoes, a flight to Budapest would be a decent investment. While I wouldn't say that Vass is necessarily better or even as good as any other choice in every circumstance, if you find a last that fits you will save buckets of money compared to a wardrobe of bespoke or even Edward Green MTO. And you might run into an un-thought-of option that surprises you pleasantly. In any case, 15 minutes on the ground there could save several months of faxes, postage, fund transfers-- and disappointments.

If I were someone who regularly traveled to Europe, I would certainly do this. I don't, so it will be hard to justify a trip from the left coast to Budapest just to try on shoes. (I don't even want to think what my wife would say.) In the meantime, I have to be in New York next week, so I think I'll see how the JL 8000 last fits in light of comments that its fit is identical to the U last.

Did the ladies at the shop say why the F last wasn't worth trying on? Was it the instep or the width?

15. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Still can't get over how nice those p2 norwegians are. If i hadn't pre-ordered an ungodly amount of alden shell recently, i'd so be getting those on this order [​IMG]