1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. agoodeye

agoodeye Active Member

NYDRH......I hear what you are saying, but if you read my original post, I have not only complained but also complimented both Vass and Karl (the owner of Ascot Shoes). My frustration is not just the complete waste of time and energy that I put into this, but that "completely hand made" does imply a level of quality that would include finishing. In anything.
    And I deal in very high end antiques and art. Yes hand made and unique can and does leave room for things not being perfect, but in my experience, this was way beyond that. And as I mentioned in another reply, I have two pairs of RTW that I really like and Ascot knows that. But they are simple and therefore less that could go wrong in the process.

RogerP your comment doesn't deserve and won't get a response from me

2. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

^^ Yes, since I buy directly from Vass, I sometimes forget what others are paying. The price is higher through retailers, but still not at G&G/EG levels. So I think my observation about tradeoffs still holds. It does sting not to get what you hoped you paid for, though. If you like what you have, I suggest enjoying them and looking for another brand that can provide the things that you value most.

I'm also glad that Namor mentioned "Vass charm," since genuinely, I just kind of chuckle to myself when I see crooked clicking.

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I'm crushed.

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I'm not sure what you hope will happen as a result of reposting your entire other thread here. You garnered several responses, some sympathetic, some not. Now you found a year old article that's mostly positive and says practically the same thing that others here have told you.

So now that THIS thread has become the grounds for your rehashing of grievances, I have to ask: what is the endgame here?

2 people like this.
  5. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

We all know what your frustration is because you started your own thread to complain. Then, when some people said "hey, thats a shame", and some people said "You're a trolling douche, HTFU and go away"**, there really wasnt much left to say...

You can imagine our surprise of course, when you come to this thread to re-state exactly what happened in the thread you started.

Tell me what you want us to say so you will lose interest in this and go away and I promise I will say it. Please, I beg you: Have mercy on the entire SF community...

** (Full disclosure: it may have been me who said this or something like it)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    2 people like this.
  6. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

@agoodeye, why are you buying Vass anyway? I'm being serious here, not merely rhetorical. By choosing to buy Vass you are purchasing a handmade and hand welted shoe. The handmade nature of the clicking, gimping, brogueing, stitching, etc. is probably not going to be exactly perfect, especially at this price point. Aside from the excellent fit I get from their lasts, one of the main selling points of Vass for me is the handwelted construction which takes time and skill to do. If you are purchasing Vass I would assume this is important to you as well, and you realize there will likely be trade-offs against brands featuring machine stitched shoes in the same price range. Complaining over and over again about these trade-offs is not accomplishing anything. It's like purchasing a Porsche 911 and then complaining about the cabin noise level. No, your 911 isn't going to be as quiet as a Lexus 600h, but that's not why you buy a 911. Maybe I've just had good luck as I have no complaints about the finishing on any of my Vass, but restating everything again in this thread is just a waste of everyone's time. We saw your other thread. If finishing is a huge priority to you over method of construction, there are many Goodyear and Blake stitched brands that specialize in finishing. Move on and order from one of them.

7. agoodeye

agoodeye Active Member

bdavro23.

You and RogerP ought to get together "dude". You can't say anything. And people like you who post like this from behind the safety of a keyboard are people who don't have the courage to say this stuff face to face. I've said everything I've posted here to Karl Chu who's the owner of Ascot. I've said it to Reszo who's the manager of Vass. AND if you read that review, you'll see I'm not the only one who thinks this. What's pathetic here is that no one moderates this enough to stop morons like you from trying to instigate an argument. Thankfully thee have been a couple of people who've made some appreciated and intelligent posts.

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Nope. That's not what's pathetic here.

9. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

^Agreed

Also, Roger P seems like exactly the type of person I would like to get together with, thanks for pointing that out.

Roger, we really should try and make time for this. Maybe dinner with the wives sometime?

10. agoodeye

agoodeye Active Member

RogerP......kudos to you for admitting your bad behavior.....now that's growth.

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Cheers. But if we run into agoodeye carrying a pair of Vass in one hand and a magnifying glass in the other, screaming at everyone about the horrid defects, I suggest we spare the ladies and discreetly cross the street.

2 people like this.
  12. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

I can handle Vass' finishing imperfections - part of the charm, and wholly acceptable for the price. Give me sizing imperfections, when they are supposedly built on the same last, and I come over all @agoodeye

1 person likes this.
  14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

That's certainly a more significant issue. While I haven't encountered any wonky sizing over a great many purchases, I do sympathize with those who have.

15. peppercorn78

...and yet the supposed "bad behavior" is all you've responded to. Again, I ask: Why come here now? Are you simply looking for an argument? We call that behavior "trolling."

16. agoodeye

agoodeye Active Member

Wrong Peppercorn78. I've responded to several people who've posted thoughtful and intelligent posts. Go back and read.

17. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

When I first read this, I was very confused. Then I realized I had a dyslexic moment, and it made much more sense.

Then I laughed :)

3 people like this.
  18. peppercorn78

OK, so you ARE trolling at this point. That makes sense because you have literally added NOTHING to the SF community other than to belly ache and fight. Your post history confirms this.

gotcha. aaaaaaannnnd....blocked.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  19. agoodeye

agoodeye Active Member

Are you just ignorant or stubborn. Read my response to MrSix and to several other posts..........

20. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Vass thread has too much negativity, not enough Vass ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14 people like this.