The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NotDickDiver

NotDickDiver Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Although contrarian to the general feedback, in my opinion these shoes are extremely vulgar. I have no idea what would drive anyone, maybe apart from a circus director, to buy these shoes.

3. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Question for all the Vass experts: I have a high instep and a wide forefoot. G&G MH71 last in 11F is a perfect fit. Santoni FAMs and Tramezzas work well, but C&J 337 is just a bit too narrow, the instep not quite roomy enough. Will any of the Vass lasts work for me? I thought maybe an F or New Peter but then I read that the insteps were lower. Can one order different widths from Vass?

I'm not an expert, although I have been to their shop to try a few things, and bought 2 pair. And I have feet that could be vaguely described similarly to yours. High-ish instep, wide, with the maximum width pretty far forward. Or maybe I just have short toes.

New Peter is a bit low in the instep. I did buy a pair of suede brogues in that last, but while they look nice, they fit a little too snugly-- like a pair of socks. Also, the arch is either a little too flat or too far forward for me.

You may be best advised to start with 3636 and Budapest. Those fit me astonishingly well, although I do prefer the appearance of some of the others in their line. Anyway, they are wide in the forward part, and have enough on the instep for me.

As far as I know, they won't do different widths although perhaps if you were to go there to be measured they could do a semi-bespoke fitting.

I did once try a U-last pair at one of the AAAC shows. While it was astonishingly comfortable, giving great support and having enough width for the ball of my foot, the toe felt like it was 4 inches too long. Real cockroach-killer.

4. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

luck-cha - fantastic patina! Antique Cognac shell?

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Although contrarian to the general feedback, in my opinion these shoes are extremely vulgar. I have no idea what would drive anyone, maybe apart from a circus director, to buy these shoes.

Who said I wasn't a circus director?

6. luk-cha

luk-cha - fantastic patina! Antique Cognac shell?

yes they are AC shell, the pantina has not really developed as i have not really worn them enough for it to develop propper

i find myself not really wearing my shell shoes at the minute, they are just not as comfy as my calf[​IMG]

7. NORE

NORE Senior member

Who said I wasn't a circus director?

Have you thought about flat laces with those boots?

8. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I'm not an expert, although I have been to their shop to try a few things, and bought 2 pair. And I have feet that could be vaguely described similarly to yours. High-ish instep, wide, with the maximum width pretty far forward. Or maybe I just have short toes.

New Peter is a bit low in the instep. I did buy a pair of suede brogues in that last, but while they look nice, they fit a little too snugly-- like a pair of socks. Also, the arch is either a little too flat or too far forward for me.

You may be best advised to start with 3636 and Budapest. Those fit me astonishingly well, although I do prefer the appearance of some of the others in their line. Anyway, they are wide in the forward part, and have enough on the instep for me.

As far as I know, they won't do different widths although perhaps if you were to go there to be measured they could do a semi-bespoke fitting.

I did once try a U-last pair at one of the AAAC shows. While it was astonishingly comfortable, giving great support and having enough width for the ball of my foot, the toe felt like it was 4 inches too long. Real cockroach-killer.

That's disappointing particularly about the New Peter last, and the 3636 just isn't what I was looking for. But, after reading this, I'm tempted to try the U-last which I had written off. While the widest part of my foot is at the ball, I definitely don't have short toes. Have you tried the F last?

9. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

yes they are AC shell, the pantina has not really developed as i have not really worn them enough for it to develop propper i find myself not really wearing my shell shoes at the minute, they are just not as comfy as my calf[​IMG]
    It's all about comfort! That is a spectacular shell color though. Still trying to figure out what I want for my AC shell. Leaning towards single strap monk. From there it depends on F or P2 last. Will finalize once I get both lasts in soon! :^)

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

How come anytime someone sells used Vass, its a 41 (im looking at you walneal and luk cha)? Never a 43.... [​IMG]

11. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Have you tried the F last?

The ladies in the shop suggested that I shouldn't bother. Which is a shame, because their oxfords are often most attractive.

Another disappointment: the original Peter is ridiculously narrow for me. So if I try a Norweger from them it will have to be on one of the less-graceful lasts.

If you can swing the time and plan to get a lot of shoes, a flight to Budapest would be a decent investment. While I wouldn't say that Vass is necessarily better or even as good as any other choice in every circumstance, if you find a last that fits you will save buckets of money compared to a wardrobe of bespoke or even Edward Green MTO. And you might run into an un-thought-of option that surprises you pleasantly. In any case, 15 minutes on the ground there could save several months of faxes, postage, fund transfers-- and disappointments.

12. luk-cha

It's all about comfort! That is a spectacular shell color though. Still trying to figure out what I want for my AC shell. Leaning towards single strap monk. From there it depends on F or P2 last. Will finalize once I get both lasts in soon! :^)

i guess the more bespokes i get the RTW are just failing to have the same appeal right now, plus i find shell hard work to maintain a shine of any sorts unless you brush and shine after each wear where as i dont have to do that with my calf ones

How come anytime someone sells used Vass, its a 41 (im looking at you walneal and luk cha)? Never a 43.... [​IMG]

[​IMG] you better get you feet on a diet then hahaha

13. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Hey slew, do you know when this order is coming in?

can't wait!

14. Guero

Guero Senior member

^^
    If it's the Fall order with our resident Vass pusher, they're supposed to arrive in HK in early February and be shipped immediately thereafter. Fingers crossed.

15. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

i guess the more bespokes i get the RTW are just failing to have the same appeal right now, plus i find shell hard work to maintain a shine of any sorts unless you brush and shine after each wear where as i dont have to do that with my calf ones

I actually prefer the somewhat more matte finish of unpolished shell so that works for me!

^^
    If it's the Fall order with our resident Vass pusher, they're supposed to arrive in HK in early February and be shipped immediately thereafter. Fingers crossed.

That's my understanding too. Can't wait!