• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are very similar in colour to mine. I think that's the Bonaudo version?

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ I think you should be safe, Don. One other forum member (Swede?) got a Vass pair from the same batch at around the same time as me, but since then I haven't seen a pair of gold museum with that strong of a reddish tone from Vass or from anyone else for that matter.

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are very similar in colour to mine. I think that's the Bonaudo version?

^^^ I think you should be safe, Don. One other forum member (Swede?) got a Vass pair from the same batch at around the same time as me, but since then I haven't seen a pair of gold museum with that strong of a reddish tone from Vass or from anyone else for that matter.
I guess so. Maybe the best thing to do is to shoot Vass a mail and ask about their current batch as compared to that specific shoe and also ask if their current stock is from Ilcea or Bonaudo (given that this less reddish shoe is from Bonaudo).

Bonafè currently supplies the kind of Gold Museum I prefer. But then again, I would like to have the Gold Museum made on the U-last like the one I posted. I took a look at Vass' new website, and the Gold Museum they're displaying there is more in line with what I want. If it's the Bonaudo calf I should hurry up as it will disappear from their stock since they've gone back to Ilcea (I think?).

Junior

Reaction score
Went with cognac-ish coloured flat laces instead of the old round dark brown ones. Did a lot imho.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know if it's how they come out in pictures, or if there's a great color variance with Vass' Gold Museum Calf. I feel RogerP's pair is flame-ish and has a dominant reddish undertone. Pinkpanther's pair isn't as red as RogerP's, but falls inbetween RogerP's and the following (I'm sure it's someone's from this forum) This pair above is what I would want mine to look like when/if I actually commission a pair in Gold Museum Calf. The color variance have held me back, though. Do you, @RogerP and/or @pinkpanther , have any input regarding this? Does Gold Museum appear like the picture I provided above in natural light or is there actually a great variance in color between those and yours? Thanks.
IRL my gold museum doesn't have much (or really any) red in it. Love the color, conservative yet interesting.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are inbound: blue museum calf Norwegian New Peter boots with natural welt and white stitching atop Dainite soles. They are my very first blue shoes and I guess green will be the next high in this never-ending shoephilia.

Edit: wrong photo, d'oh.

Nice boots. Can you ask Rezso which leather was used for the brown galosh oxfords in the picture? Thanks!

Tell me more (read: everything) about the brown shoe in the top right. Last (U/F)? Model# (126)? Color (Museum Brown or is that antiquing your work)? Close up pic? They look spectacular.

Agree that the brown balmoral shoe looks awesome. I'd say U-last, model 126 with medallion, in either dark brown museum or dark brown with burnish.

Don't know if it's been that much talk about the fact that Vass offers burnishing on their shoes now, a bit similar in look to Edward Green or Gaziano & Girling, with darkened toe and a bit on heel. They showed it at the Stockholm trunk a couple of months ago, looked pretty good. Here's a pic:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree that the brown balmoral shoe looks awesome. I'd say U-last, model 126 with medallion, in either dark brown museum or dark brown with burnish.

Don't know if it's been that much talk about the fact that Vass offers burnishing on their shoes now, a bit similar in look to Edward Green or Gaziano & Girling, with darkened toe and a bit on heel. They showed it at the Stockholm trunk a couple of months ago, looked pretty good. Here's a pic:

Thanks. I must have missed the burnishing part during the trunk show. How much do they charge for it?

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've now asked Reszö about that brown oxford that you fell in love with. I'll update the info here once I've his answer.

On another note, how could we even enjoy shoes before there was museum calf? All shoes seem to look better with this manna from out patron saint, St Crispin, bestowed from the heavens to our feet. All hail museum leathers!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Personally I think they've been rather over done. But that doesn't mean I'm not thinking of some. :)

techaview

Reaction score

I don't know if it's how they come out in pictures, or if there's a great color variance with Vass' Gold Museum Calf. I feel RogerP's pair is flame-ish and has a dominant reddish undertone. Pinkpanther's pair isn't as red as RogerP's, but falls inbetween RogerP's and the following (I'm sure it's someone's from this forum) This pair above is what I would want mine to look like when/if I actually commission a pair in Gold Museum Calf. The color variance have held me back, though. Do you, @RogerP and/or @pinkpanther , have any input regarding this? Does Gold Museum appear like the picture I provided above in natural light or is there actually a great variance in color between those and yours? Thanks.
Bro, this pair is mine... To give you a clearer I have uploaded bigger image for you to view. These are taken using my iPhone 5 camera indoor under natural lighting and no editing was done. I prefer this gold museum to the ilcea gold museum for it is more subtle and conservative... Cheers!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads