• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LS7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just had a major revelation. I know probably every one realizes this but I didn't really appreciate it or understood why I liked the old english so much better than similar brogues. I think this is because of the way they hand cut the leather rather than have a machine cut it but there aren't any triangular edges when they sew the pieces of leather together. That's seriously amazing! I checked all the major brands and they all have the triangular edges (though better ones are minimized). I always thought the handmade part just made the construction and quality better but this is very visible. Seriously good stuff and makes it look so much more elegant. <3 vass.

I concur with your preference for the straight edges (and I own the OEII myself). However your post reminded me of a feature often found on Vass with broguing, perhaps only noticeable with the OCD eye of an SF'er who has slightly too much time on his hands. By this I mean inconsistencies in the broguing pattern.

It's not a major flaw by any means, but it bothers me more on an formal Oxford style shoe than it would on a rustic Derby.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...while we're on the geeky subject of shuu details, I must admit that I've grown bored of broguing. Smart pairs just look cleaner, more formal and rounded without all those holes to stop eyes gliding from back to front. Austerity, plain or gimped pairs for me from now on, thank you.

techaview

Reaction score

I concur with your preference for the straight edges (and I own the OEII myself). However your post reminded me of a feature often found on Vass with broguing, perhaps only noticeable with the OCD eye of an SF'er who has slightly too much time on his hands. By this I mean inconsistencies in the broguing pattern.

It's not a major flaw by any means, but it bothers me more on an formal Oxford style shoe than it would on a rustic Derby.

I noticed that also. Hence the reason I go for austerity on my oeii.. To minimize the chance of inconsistency on the broguing should that really happen. Morever it has a more formal feel.

That being said, I am already setting my sight on a full brogue antique cognac f last ... :D

Last edited:

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I have asked about the OEII without broguing myself...that is perfect. Vass should just fit it in as a standard 65.5 model and sell a ton of them.

rc121

Reaction score

^ I have asked about the OEII without broguing myself...that is perfect. Vass should just fit it in as a standard 65.5 model and sell a ton of them.
pretty sure that's a standard Vass model, the OEII plain

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pretty sure that's a standard Vass model, the OEII plain

Hmm...maybe it is. Seems like most standard models have some stock, but the last time I checked there weren't any and I'd have to order...not a big deal.

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I'm late to the party on the NMWA u-cap, but wow, what a nice shoe and a perfect fit. The vamp/toe box seems just a shade higher than my other P2 in the same size.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Some Vass Appreciation for everyone
excellent thanks for posting. Is the first one in Antique Cognac shell and black derby in 3636 last? very nice
Sstomcat, the first one is oxblood while the black derby is on the R-last. For those who are planning to order, I urge for you guys to wait for next week.There may be awesome news and pictures coming :D Ilovelobbs, they are not mine.It was ordered for people.I just sold a few pairs and only have 1 left in stock; a 42.5 in the U-last, Budapest Oxford,black calf/pebblegrain. OEII is my favourite
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
sf'er terrorsquad's pic R-last r last took forever to find a captoe on r last. thanks btw looks great

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah f last looks great on just about everything. a no brainer

r last looks like p2 last but slightly shorter and with a sloping toe box (shorter side walls)

width

width

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
82 reminds me of f last (photo by sf'er crat)

r last = 202?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads