1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I've ordered 3 pairs that were 0.25 size different. I didn't know that they also lower the instep. I'll ask Rëzso on my next order.

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

Your problem is trying to stretch shell.

Otherwise you can stretch leather stiffeners...

3. KingPSQ

KingPSQ Well-Known Member

I wanted them to look as close as possible to the ones shown below, which are also 4-eyelet. So I made sure to only change the leather and the last (+I have no Italian polish on them). I also think that the it makes the toebox appear stretched.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Color 8 shell cordovan Osloer. I mentioned getting one in every color...I'll try to stop at a light and dark one. Perfect finishing and construction from Vass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  5. Webbo

Webbo Senior member

6. Shouldaville

I've seen a few names...burgundy, bordeaux, color 8. Probably all about the same, although some seem lighter at times. I saw Vass post one specifically calling it color 8, so that's what I asked for.

7. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Really nice boots @Shouldaville We were disccussion the finishings in Vass with regards shell (apron stiching in Osloer models) in the Boots thread. It seems that the best skilled workers at Vass stich the shell shoes.

1 person likes this.
  8. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Those are very nice boots congrates

1 person likes this.
  9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Those look fantastic! Love that dark shade of burgundy, congrats. Wore the cigar cousins out yesterday

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    3 people like this.
  10. Shouldaville

Thanks @NAMOR !...yours as well. Fit looks good. I think Vass has nailed it with the slight modification to the shaft design/sizing.

11. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

these are very nice. i may look into something like this. what's the cost if i may ask?

12. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Since I had to get rid of my RL Marlows I was considering getting a pair of vass. Just not sure what color shell

13. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Yep, That was my experience, but it worked out for @J.Ingelvadsson.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i concur the p2 last is a great one once youve played with sizing (and after selling off the sacrificial trial pair)

15. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

My shoes weren't shell, never said they were. I was talking about leather toe stiffener with my experience. Regarding stretching shell I know it's been long debating whether it's doable or not, I leave that up to guys who know shell more than me, I only owned two pairs and it was long time ago.

16. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Ok, I assumed that cause we were taking about a pair of shell shoes. Shell stretches, but the shoe toe stiffener does not, IME (as said is really hard and rigid). I have never tried to stretch any other plastic/celastic toe stiffener (I thought it was not possible either)

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Does shell stretch? Anyone have any links on the subject? Ime shell doesn't stretch. I know new shell shoes can feel stiff but soften and mold to the foot after a couple wears. Is this the stretch that people refer to?

18. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

I have streched 2 pairs of Vass shell . Just the ball area. It took me time.

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i dont for a second doubt that a shell shoe made from shell uppers, leather welt and linen threads can stretch. i am however skeptical that the stretch or give came from the shell having expanded. for example, all of my shell vass feel tight or snug when they are new, but only after an hour or two they already feel slightly on the big side. this significant change (approx 1/4 sizes bigger) over such a small period of time suggests the components of the shoe are responsible for the sudden difference in fit

20. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Well, I do not know. My feeling is that is very rigid and it takes much more effort to stretch than calf leather. Furthermore, it stretches less.