1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

I do not see anything at all in pic 1 &2. I would not be much concern much about pic 3 (I could live with that).....but it is up to you.

2. joelmax

joelmax Well-Known Member

Pic 1 I think it is the reflection on the photograph, it is a 3/4 inch scratch sort of in the middle of the Pic. Pic two the sole is just a bit rough on the side.

I really just don't know if these imperfections are to be expected or not. If they are expected, that's fine, i get it. If they are not expected, i would speak up.

3. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Whoa, I got JL factory rejects with less flaws than that.

4. emidyl

emidyl Senior member

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

What am I looking at in photo 3 - is the leather cracked?

6. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

If you paid full price and these are not seconds I personally would not be happy with that scratch in new shoes. But that's just me, but some times stuff happens but if you buy again & it happens again I would seriously reconsider. May I ask were did you get them from? Just asking because I myself placed an order now wondering. Because two people have complained.

7. joelmax

joelmax Well-Known Member

Here are close ups of the photos from earlier. Seems like these little defects should not be there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Aside from the scratch in the first photo (corrected with shoe polish and 30 seconds of work) I still don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for.

1 person likes this.
  9. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

These are handmade shoes, and very reasonably priced for handmade shoes. Imperfection is perfection.

I think you've got to live with those sort of issues - I see nothing that can't be cured with a decent polish and a walk of a couple of miles.

Edit to add - unless the leather has cracked at the welt. That should be fixed.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Excels for that last photo where the leather cracked by the welt. I can deal with superficial scratches and I don't even worry about the sole as long as it's attached but that last photo of the toe looks bad. I would just emphasise that and forego the others.

11. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

It's Cordovan antic cognac.
    Markings on the soles don't concern me. Within 10 steps outside the soles will be marked far beyond what the factory did.

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:That's why I asked for confirmation on what the last photo (which is really quite dark on my screen) actually shows. If the leather is cracking at the welt, I'd return the shoes. The rest of the issues wouldn't be much of a concern to me.

13. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Scratch will go away with some leather creme. Pic 2 is fine. Pic 3 idk if it's a leather crack, or just a crease or what. Should be fine if it's just a crease.

Lol at the guy complaining about a scratch that will literally fix itself on its own, and the guy who compared Vass to John Lobb. Hold on while I go compare my 30k 3 series to a 70k M3.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  14. jokb

jokb Senior member

Scratch from what it looks like is a minor one, can be easily fixed with cream polish. For me, as long as it's not a tear or the defect doesn't affect the structural integrity, it's all good.

1 person likes this.
  15. anzo

anzo Well-Known Member

Got replacements for the size 44 ones which violently tried to dismember my toes ;-)
    These are size 44.5 and feels great. Might need to pad up the tongue sometime though as the instep is quite generous on the U. Also went from metal toe taps to rubber ones as I don't want to vandalize any indoors floor surfaces.

Speaking of Q check issues: they forgot THE WHOLE HEEL COUNTER on these Old English plains!

But I quite like the seamless heel so they are keepers.

Pictures taken at 9.50 PM in the swedish midsummer night so no direct sunlight on the oxblood calf.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Gentlemen,

Is it alright for me to ask you dear chaps to tell me a bit about the Vass Budapest Last and how it fits?

Thanks for your help.

17. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

18. MonteCarlo

MonteCarlo Active Member

These are so very classy. I love how the U-last looks in larger sizes. Seemless heel also looks very clean.

19. anzo

anzo Well-Known Member

Thanks @TtownMD and @MonteCarlo! First test wear for three hours today feels great! And they are beautiful to look at from top down.

Also I was not 100% correct referring to the "missing heel counter" as a quality issue or fault. They actually made me another model as they do have the Old English model both with and without heelcounters. With the ancient - but very personal - ordering system this slight mishap does not come as a big surprise
    :)

20. Staffer18283

Staffer18283 Senior member

Battle of the split toes !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]