1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Today's hooves vass whiskey norweger

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  2. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Just to understand (from pictures is really difficult to tell). What are the differences you can tell between this horsehide/shell and the rest of shell shoes you have?. Texture, thickness, finishing, wrinkles?. I have never handle horsehide leather. Mr. Kuti is always a profesional and a pleasure to deal with. Thanks for clarification.

3. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

[​IMG]

From a recent visit to the shop of a fellow.

4. hazwanazani

hazwanazani Well-Known Member

5. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

I understand the shoe has a lot of wear so the cork filler is completly compressed (you can see it in the toe area although). I wonder what material is in between the upper leather and the lining; it seems to me like a kind of felt for lining reinforcement in grey/black colour. I have not seen that before, even in Vass´ Book.

6. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

I forgot to explain you that the cork filling in Vass goes from the waist to the toe. The metal shank is covered with a leather layer and then pegged.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  8. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Thanks gdl203. I thought there was no cork filling on top of the leather cover of the shank spring.

Dou you know what is the material in between the lining and the upper?

9. hazwanazani

Not sure what it is, but it serves to create a gap for extra comfort as the lining and the uppers wouldn't rub against each other. This is also to prevent any squeaking noise caused by the rubbing.

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

the boots are made from shell cordovan. the uppers are made from shell cordovan. the shaft and tongue are made from shell cordovan. the problem i think is that some of the shell cordovan sent to to vass' supplier from horween was a generous piece of shell so the fringe, outer limits pieces used began showing the some of the creasing typical of horsehide. whats really remarkable (and easy to forget) is that the uppers were made from a single piece of shell in the style of the edward green galway (a large piece no doubt as i am 45 in f last). i happen to be wearing the boot today. it didnt take many steps before the shell bloom appeared:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  11. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

I got it. Yeah, it looks quite weird to me (I own 5 pairs of Shell). Thanks and good luck.

12. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

I thought hand-welted shoes did not have or need cork filler, just GY welted shoes. Isn't that one of the things @DWFII always mentions?

13. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

The gap in HW shoes is very small, but still you need something to fill in the hollow . All HW shoemakers I know use cork filler. DW uses felt.

14. hazwanazani

Current museum calf colours from Ilcea, which Vass offers, under natural light.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. cakv

cakv Senior member

How did you write on the image like that?

16. bobbers

bobbers Senior member

I was in Budapest last week, and I have a picture of seven museum calf swatches as opposed to the six above. [​IMG] My picture of the regular calf swatches didn't turn out good, one color was lost in the store lighting. I was hoping someone could help with identification. [​IMG]

17. hazwanazani

[​IMG]
    @bobbers If I'm not mistaken, I believe Vass will no longer be carrying the lighter gold museum calf in the photo you posted.

@cakv This was actually Mr. Kuti's hand writing. I had emailed him earlier today asking which colour would be closest to an english chestnut colour and he said it would be either the 6125 cognac or the gold museum calf. As regards to the editing, I believe you could do it in any inbuilt image app on a tablet, maybe picasa, paint and definitely photoshop.

18. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

They're here, model 1006 "F" last, plum museum from Ascot shoes. Very pleased with the service, took a while but well worth it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Happy to report the fit is just right. I was worried with the fickle Vass sizing.
    These are 43.5 normal width, the instep has enough room (I have a high instep)
    In "U" last I take a full size larger? Haven't tried the "K" yet.
    For comparisons I wear 9.5 in almost all Carmina and also 9.5 in John Lobbs
    Photos "in the wild" soon to follow.

9 people like this.
  19. Faster

Faster Senior member

I found C&J english chestnut close to the Ilcea/Museum Gold; side by side with a C&J Chestnut

[​IMG]

20. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

@hazwanazani What is Vass' selection like at their Budapest shop? Were there a lot of boots?