1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. striker

striker Senior member

I am also not going to get into the GY/ HW debate. Every men wants a virgin who is also a whore. They want handwelted shoes at Vass prices with G&G leather, finishing and attention to detail. So hard to reconcile these attributes.

I think beyond those factors, my strategy going forward is just to acquire iconic shoes unique to that maker.

3 people like this.
  2. laufer

laufer Senior member

I was going to say that. I find GYW versus HW discussion ridiculous. F last fits me fine and I happy with it.
    U last does not fit me (I tried 3 different sizes) so what good is HW U last to me when some other GYW shoes fit me better.

It all about the fit.

1 person likes this.
  3. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

As far as you like them and fit you, that is another good policy.

4. mimo

mimo Senior member

Indeed. For that chisel toe, Carmina's Rain last fits me better in standard width than Vass's U. And as we all seem to have dozens of pairs of shoes, the likelihood of ever needing to resole them is distant enough, let alone gemming failure.

That said, we have our romantic notions and they're also valid: we could live quite happily with three pairs of GY shoes, at $99 from the AE Shoe Bank, re-soling them every couple of years and keeping them until we no longer walk. More or less. But hand-made means something. Sure, maybe something different to everyone. But for sure, something special to us. :)

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

It could also be said that a hand-welted Meermin is no different than any other hand-welted RTW shoe like St. C. in its structure or labour cost. I'm not sure that one can draw any meaningful inference about the quality or value of St. C. from that observation, however.

1 person likes this.
  6. agedashidofu

agedashidofu Senior member

A little bit off-topic

Just an update in case the learning could benefit anyone considering to order the loafers - they ended up too big / loose :-((

Oh well I guess you win some and then you lose some. Should have sized down by 0.5

Trading this for a 0.5 size smaller - hope that works

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

Rightly or wrongly, I do draw an inference from their making their shoes in China. Their norvegesse stitching looks great, though.

Edit: Agedashidofu, I know that a lot of makers use different lasts for loafers, as the fit is so different. Someone at Vass commented to me that they don't really like to make them, so I guess it's just a matter of the customer always being right! But just out of curiosity, what size did you take?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  8. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Senior member

So it seems Vass does not offer red dainite unfortunately. Oh well, I will stick with the double leather sole then. My final concern then is sizing, I am a 9.5B/C (L/R) US and I am tts in AE's 5 Last and 9.0B/C in the 333 last. Any sizing advice for the P2 last?

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Wow, if you are as narrow as a B width, I don't see P2 working for you.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nik Telford

I have some no show socks I can wear to fill up some of the volume if need be. It really sucks having narrow feet. I've emailed Vass as well for sizing advice.

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I hope some of our narrow-footed forum members will chime in to help you out as well. I'm pretty far removed from that description. [​IMG]

12. jokb

jokb Senior member

S last might work for you. It's a tad narrower than the U last.

13. Nik Telford

Yeah but for this shoe I'm really looking for something fairly chunky. I'll keep the S last in mind for future orders though, thanks!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  14. striker

striker Senior member

The S last is wider than the U last, both at the ball of the foot and the toes.

15. jokb

jokb Senior member

Not sure why I have a different experience with it. The S last that I have feels a little tighter than my U last. My right foot is a bit wider and it's tight on the S last but fits better in the U last. This was confirmed by Rezső as well. When I get S last in different sizes, I'll ask some of my clients and maybe we can get a verdict.

16. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

In addition to width, height of the vamp/toe box might also come into play?

The overall fit of the S sounds promising to me (lower instep) but the toe box looks too "square" from pictures. It looks wider than G&G's TG73. I was planning to pick up an S lasted shoe in the future but I might have to wait for there "other" lasts to show up and identify their fit/shape.

Interesting that there is now a Vass and Spring Line connection!

17. chogall

chogall Senior member

[​IMG]

U.

1 person likes this.
  18. jokb

jokb Senior member

will de-rail the last conversation for a sec to share a few of what I have;

I'm really in love with museum right now. The Polished look of a museum calf in Orange.
    [​IMG]
    and in plum
    [​IMG]

and lastly, a nice looking light brown suede high boot.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. JayH

JayH Senior member

Does anyone have pics of a chukka in f last antique cognac? Thinking of this for my next make up.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Jokb, excellent collection particularly the suede u last boots. I'm jealous!