1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. brax

brax Senior member

Three new pairs that just came in. All are on the F last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

when i have been to the folks at handmacher recently and "we" were comparing the same shoe in the three widths they offer a thought came to my mind.

imo, vass is compensating the usual width system through their lasts.

F = narrow
    P2 = medium
    3636, Budapester = wide

keep in mind that vass and their fellow competitors from the austrian hungarian school were mainly producing derbies/bluchers and most of the knowledge went into them.

having the F & U last in the line up is only a recent "phenomen". also, that the oversea and anglo american client is more on the bals train. i don't have numbers handy but as far as i know, they still sell/produce more open laced models, e.g. due to the distinct budapester design.

apparently, some also mix up the budapest model with the last, which is a different animal.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

They look fine to me. I've noticed with a lot of leathers that after the first initial wearing the creases are a bit lighter in color than they normally are. Not sure what causes it exactly, but it almost seems like the minor creasing upon the first wear is equal to a slight cracking of the leather which almost gives off a dust like impression. When you wipe that away they look fine. No need to worry about such little things or you'll drive yourself crazy.

ah, the mystery of the creases: my theory is that this is the wax surface cracking, not the leather creasing. I've noticed this happening when I pile on too much polish and wear the shoes next day. Fine white cracking all over the place. Solution is to strip them back and start again.

4. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Three new pairs that just came in. All are on the F last.

[​IMG][/url]

Excellent stuff. Gotta love the F, the fit it's just perfect for my very average feet and as an altitudinally challenged person I'm partial to the heel elevation. The F last is a new design but almost identical in 3 dimensions to the AS 48 which I believe is quite an old English last.

5. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

ah, the mystery of the creases: my theory is that this is the wax surface cracking, not the leather creasing. I've noticed this happening when I pile on too much polish and wear the shoes next day. Fine white cracking all over the place. Solution is to strip them back and start again.

Thanks as that's probably more of what's going on.

Brax - great stuff!

6. JMasa

JMasa Member

7. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

As always, this thread needs more photos.

NST high boot
    P2 last
    dark brown calf
    double sole tapering to a single

I've been loving this boot recently and I don't understand why people don't seem to order it more often. Very versatile and sturdy. I included some detailed shots so you can see the stitching and waist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

London derby
    F last
    dark brown suede
    double sole tapering to a single

I think this gives off a great example of the classic qualities of the F last. Tough to beat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Damn, that NST high boot is great.

9. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Great stuff, David.

If I were to ever go the Vass route, I'd probably go with the P2.

10. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Wow at that NST boot - just ordered one from alden otherwise i'd get the same. Really like those Bluchers though...

11. Frank Davis

Frank Davis Well-Known Member

Nice boots they all look so stunning I can't even look for fear to get jealous and go buy one and later end up broke and homeless.

12. Yooxaddict73

Yooxaddict73 Well-Known Member

I don't get it. Most of the shoes on the pictures look like AE or some other generic brand on a bland, slightly rounded last. What is the attraction? Construction., and the fact that they might be hand-made?

Save for U last and occasional apron stitch model the shoes are unremarkable imho.

13. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

I don't get it. Most of the shoes on the pictures look like AE or some other generic brand on a bland, slightly rounded last. What is the attraction? Construction., and the fact that they might be hand-made?

Save for U last and occasional apron stitch model the shoes are unremarkable imho.

To each his own, I guess. Though they are substantially nicer than anything from Yoox [​IMG]

The construction is tough to beat in RTW shoes and impossible to beat for the price. I find both the F and U last to be quite remarkable and see why others enjoy the more traditional shapes.

14. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

[​IMG]

Is this the first ever pic of the 5 eye London in F? Great idea to go suede, understated elegance. love the balance. Could be nice in cognac pebble too. I find I like the simple 'boring' classics more than bells and whistles, and this is plain and solid.

15. Guero

Guero Senior member

I don't get it. Most of the shoes on the pictures look like AE or some other generic brand on a bland, slightly rounded last. What is the attraction? Construction., and the fact that they are hand-made?

Yes and yes.

16. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Thanks guys! Glad you like them. I agree that the straight London derby really highlights the F last which was my exact intention.

yooxaddict - I too wasn't enamored by Vass when I first saw photos. They grew on me a bit over time, but when you actually feel them in your hands you can immediately tell just how much of a step up they are from most manufacturers. They're just different enough from the English makers to make them unique while retaining classic qualities. Exciting is the word I usually use for Vass. Trust me that they're fantastic and I'm sure you'd feel the same if you saw them in real life.

17. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

you're pretty new to shoes?

18. theyare

theyare Senior member

New acquisition, which I'm bummed are too big. Also a couple of belts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. brax

brax Senior member

While I know that that Vass offers antelope leather as an option, I don't think that I have ever seen a pair. Does anyone have any experience with Vass antelope leather shoes?