1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. papercut

papercut Well-Known Member

Thank you guys for the amazingly fast response, unfortunately i left out the Simpson sizing.

Still 42?

2. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Maybe 42.5 on U?

3. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Yes, you're like me. 1/2 size larger. 42 will do.

4. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Hmmmm, curveball, but yeah still 42

5. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

How's the length? Could you drop a half size in length and go up a width? My reasoning being that a 10 wide might be too big in the heel and instep

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

@hazwanazani - very classy!

7. techaview

techaview Senior member

Mine is roughly the same as yours

Simpson 8uk (perfect fit with about 2mm gap at the heel when I pushed my feet towards the front)
    Uetam 7.5uk (snug but has break in and perfect now)
    U last 42 F width (similar to Simson)
    I have yet to try 41.5 on U last. Maybe I should go just that in my next order

8. papercut

papercut Well-Known Member

what's the standard width when you order direct from Vass?

I assume the recommendation would be a U last in size 42E?

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

Vass use F for standard. As do Church's, Cheaney, Loake, Barker, Grenson, Alfred Sargeant.

G&G, C&J, EG and some others use E for standard. Easy to be confused - I bought G width C&J not realising that this was extra wide for them.

So bear in mind that different makers all use different designations - "E" is not standard size. For Vass it would be narrow. And in the US of course, wide.

5 people like this.
  10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ I need to preserve this post somewhere. I am always forgetting what is standard for what manufacturer.

11. hazwanazani

hazwanazani Well-Known Member

12. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Just an additional heads up on the Vass policy.

The 10% cash discount and VAT deduction cannot be combined. You will have to decide what is better for you.

I believe the Hungarian VAT is 27%, however, I think it is not possible to have the full percentage amount of VAT back. It ranges from 13-15% as the agency refunding is taking a vast amount for it self..Correct me if I'm wrong.

Perhaps the chance you get the full VAT back is when you personally come back to the store again after you have left the Hungary with the custom stamp confirmation goods have left the EU.

13. Jorge

Jorge Senior member

I clicked the thumbs up button for this post, not sure what that means/does other than register my approval, are the thumbs up searchable?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  14. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

I'm not sure why this makes sense. If you're reclaiming your VAT at the airport (the "agency" you mention) then Vass has nothing to do with it and the discussion should be separate from your cash discount. If the VAT reduction is direct from Vass then there shouldn't be an "agency" and it's the straight 27%, which far exceeds the cash discount...although should still be separate.

I've only paid with a card, so no cash discount, but I've received the full VAT reduction.

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

I suspect that some of the confusion over VAT deduction from Vass might be a result of a rather...er..."Greek" attitude to paying it? Wouldn't want to do them a disservice, but...maybe.

16. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

I think it's because in case you decide to opt for the VAT refund they have to issue you a fiscal receipt and therefore to declare a sold pair of shoes to the state of Hungary and their "IRS".

In case you choose to pay in cash and opt for a 10% discount they just do not declare the sold pair at all to the IRS, and have a internal book of sold pairs. It is a common thing done in most east European states. The 10% cash discount is something that would a local guys have most use of, as they cannot have the VAT back, and better to have a cash discount than nothing .. Not so much use for the foreigners as even with the agency commission, the VAT refund will still be more than a 10% in any case.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  17. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Vass OE2 in Antique Cognac, F-last

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    5 people like this.
  18. striker

striker Senior member

I didn't realize Vass does topy with flushed toe taps.

19. hazwanazani

hazwanazani Well-Known Member

Such a beautiful and rich hue

20. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Terrific shoes and I really like the sole treatment.