• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

agedashidofu

Reaction score
Stunning shoes. Is there any length difference between the lasts?

EDIT: I'm asking because I've been thinking of getting a pair of Vass on the K-last. While I'm really eager to get an exact pair of RogerP's oxblood double monks on the K-last (they're really awesome, RogerP) I'm thinking that maybe the K-last is better suited for wholecuts/oxfords without a toe cap because, at least to my eyes, it looks shorter and thus a wholecut on the U-last may be looking to long in real life. What's your thought on this?

K-last is actually a tad bit longer (on the same size) vs. U-Last. Not noticeable at all from 4 - 5 feet away though :) I can post a few comparison pics when I get the time next week.

agedashidofu

Reaction score
great make up!!
btw what do you mean the toe box is shallower in K last?
does U last have more elongated nose? i thought it was vice versa

K-last has a more elongated nose vs. U-last - you're correct. Shallower means smaller volume in the toe box (height is lower vs. U-last in the toe box.) U-last has a more gradual decline from the Instep to the toe-box, while the K-last is steeper (it makes it look more angular.) If that makes sense. I can try to post comparison pics when I have time next week.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@agedashidofu - damn, awesome makeup dude!

@DonRaphael - thanks - my K and F last are the same length. Bottom line is there is less room in the toe box in K, whether one wants to attribute that to less lateral or vertical space. or a combination of both. I definitely perceive a narrower (i.e. pointier) toe box in K versus U.

Edit - very quick and dirty comparison shot. K on the left, U on the right:
orig.jpg

Last edited:

agedashidofu

Reaction score
Thanks Roger! I'm planning to get the gold museum calf next (but when they start re-sourcing from Ilcea again.) Your gold museum Calf F-last makes me drool every time I think about it :)

Btw - now that I measure the K & U again - they're definitely the same length (thanks for the correction Roger.) Somehow the pointier toe on the K makes it look longer...

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@agedashidofu - damn, awesome makeup dude!

@DonRaphael - thanks - my K and F last are the same length. Bottom line is there is less room in the toe box in K, whether one wants to attribute that to less lateral or vertical space. or a combination of both. I definitely perceive a narrower (i.e. pointier) toe box in K versus U.

Edit - very quick and dirty comparison shot. K on the left, U on the right:
orig.jpg
Wow. I gotta say, your DM is not for the faint hearted. I need to get me a pair. Immediately.

And thanks for clarifying about the length.

Last edited:

Torsion

Reaction score

Here's my oxblood K last DMs, for me the narrower toe box is no issue.These are built like a tank with the HAF soles, I've taken them out once but looking forward to plenty more wear!I'm now trying to decide what to get next

Last edited:

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, weather is really good this Sunday morning, so after last night's brushing & polishing Vass - Bordeaux Cordovan on K-Last - direct sunlight. While my vass are all U-lasts, I decided to take a risk w/ the K-last for the 1st time. A couple of differences that I noticed: 1. Instep on K-last is a tad roomier vs. U-last. On the U-last, the V-gap for me is ~1.0 cm on the right foot, while on the K-last, it's only 0.75 cm. Yes, I did measure :) 2. Toe box is shallower vs. U-last. No issues on the width - almost the same. 3. It looks so chiseled from the side. I do find it a bit weird (completely fine when looked from the top.) I think I prefer the looks & the fit of the U-last (especially the instep.) Enjoy the pics!
BEAUTIFUL colors

Torsion

Reaction score
@wurger another great make up there brother!Would be good to see your Vass in a group comparison shot on this thread to help educate others especially on the differences in lasts.I don't own any U yet however leaning towards it for my next oxford MTOs

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads