1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Like RogerP, Reszo suggested doing a bit of wearing to determine fit, and was willing to exchange if they don't work. I went home and gave them a shot and am left struggling a bit. They certainly don't first badly, but the laces fully close right off the bat and there's a bit of heel slip. I'm concerned that this will get worse over time as the leather stretches. So maybe 42.5 would be better, but emotionally I want to stay with the 43 so that I can wear them tomorrow.

2. wurger

wurger Senior member

I think Vass only started marking sizes this year. 39 - for 39.5, I have quite a few other pairs without markings, only the one that came in Feb did.

Vass will confirm size in Euro before accepting your order.

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i would send them back. ive been in your situation before (trading short term pleasure for long term enjoyment) and it doesn't end well. your first instinct, that they were too big is correct. the fit will only become more generous as the shoes break in.

its definitely worth the wait though, good luck!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Agree with NAMOR. Fully closed laces and heel slip will not improve with wear. Sounds like a half size down is where you need to be.

1 person likes this.
  5. prettywish

prettywish Active Member

here is the picture about the rusting.
    [​IMG]

6. striker

striker Senior member

Those metal polish cream should get rid of it. If not, a fine sandpaper and some mineral oil.

7. prettywish

prettywish Active Member

metal polish cream can get rid of the rust? I never know this. actually I use my nail file to do the job. but you can see the buckle is silver metal coated on brass, it becomes ugly after removing the silver metal coat.

8. striker

striker Senior member

The metal polish would be more gentle than a file.

Once this has happened, you will have to oil it if you ever want to put it away for long term storage.

I should add that it is not rust. If indeed they are brass.

9. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

well done, these look great

12. Junior

Junior Senior member

Also have a normal width feet (I think) and the U-last pinches my little toes. Considering going up in width on my next pair (probably S-lasted, supposedly fits like U) and sizing down to my F-last size.

13. mimo

mimo Senior member

They will do U in wide and extra wide.

14. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

A couple of quick snaps taken from the second outing with my Vass MTOs, made on my bespoke (well, "semi bespoke" to be exact) F-last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pictures to follow in a few days.

5 people like this.
  15. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member

Those is purdy shoes.

16. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

What do you mean by "semi-bespoke" last?

1 person likes this.
  17. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

looks great. what modifications did vass make on your bespoke last? and how would you compare the fit to your other vass shoes, specifically those on the f last?

18. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Bespoke = the maker makes a completely new last based on your personal measurements.
    "Semi-bespoke" = the maker modifies an existing last so that it conforms to your personal measurements. This is why I am saying that it is "my F-last", since it's an F-last that was made for my feet. Maybe you could call this "MTM", but that wouldn't be the whole story...

Not sure what modifications they did, since I am not that well informed about the shoeymaking process in general. However, since I have very flat and narrow feet with narrow heels, I guess the lowered the instep considerably and made the last more snug fitting overall. But that's just my guess.

The fit is awesome. So much better than any other of my shoes from EG/GG/CJ/AS/Vass/JL etc. But then again, due to my problematic feet, I've always had a tough time finding a good fit in RTW shoes.

19. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I feel like I tried to get Vass to do this last time I ordered from them. I will have to ask Mr. Kuti about this as my feet are also....problematic.

20. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Well, AFAIK you need to be measured by someone from Vass - you can't order this kind of thing without visiting Vass in person. Or have Vass visit you, of course. [​IMG]