• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kayhill

Reaction score
Just want to confirm, does anyone got experience in Vass U last & other brand names?
It seems that a lot of comparison is between F last & U last here

My size: Carmina Rain UK9EE (a bit long, 4cm gap between longest toe & shoe tip) / UK8.5EEE
G&G MH71 UK9F
EG 888/82 UK9E

Will my safest choice in U last a 43.5 / 43 or 42.5 wide?

Thanks a lot.

I own a Carmina Rain in 8.5 (a bit tight, but broken in nicely) and a Vass U Last 43.

The Vass U Last 43 is a little bit big. If I push my feet all the way forward in the shoe I can easily slip a finger behind my heel.

I wouldn't go as far as to say 'definitely size down', but in my experience if you're in between 9 and 8.5 in the Carmina Rain last you may be able to size down.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just want to confirm, does anyone got experience in Vass U last & other brand names?

My size: Carmina Rain UK9EE (a bit long, 4cm gap between longest toe & shoe tip) / UK8.5EEE
             G&G MH71 UK9F
             EG 888/82 UK9E

Thanks a lot.

Me:
Carmina, Simpson: UK8
Carmina, Rain & Forest: UK7,5
C&J, 337 & 348: UK7,5
G&G, MH71, GG06 &TG73: UK8
EG, 888 & 82: UK8
Vass, F & U: EU41,5

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some help over here. I want a Dover-like shoe, but don't want to pay the EG premium. My choice is either Carmina Taylor model or a Vass model of some kind in museum brown. While I have a good understanding of how the Carmina Taylor model looks like, I've seen very few, if any, split toe derby models on Vass U- and/or K-lasts. In order to decide what to get I'm turning to you. I'm thinking a split toe derby (U- or K-last) or a London model #73 on Vass website (http://www.vass-cipo.hu/Eng/Modellek_08_Olasz/Modell_08_073_Kicsi.html). If someone has pictures in action of either of those models, I'd be highly appreciative. Thanks!

Last edited:

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
I have both pairs - I personally prefer the way EG hand-stitched the upper section and inner stitched the split toe, that makes the Dover a timeless classic, not even my John Lobb Chambord is on par. My Dover was made on the 82 Last using Willow Calf (Rare & EG have discontinued) However, the EG did come at a 35% premium - so it's a trade-off you need to consider. The upper stitches takes about 2-3 hand-hours using a pig's bristle - see picture 2 closer up.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score

G&G MH71 UK9F
EG 888/82 UK9E

Thanks a lot.

I have the above models in EG, G&G and Carmina - and you're safe to go with EU 43 in the Vass U last.

I think Roger can also vouch for this.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Quote:
Hello Roger,

1) The overall thickness of the Vass Calf (I have seen the sheet of calf and crust from Saint Crispin and Edward Green, and Vass Calf is thicker & durable)
2) The finished product of the Vass calf leather
3) I have never been a fan of crust - high maintenance and lots of TLC required
4) I still recognize my Vass after walking in the rain compared to me EG's and Saint Crispins

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Thanks my man.

I'm with you on 4, and have no similar basis for comparison for 1.

3 is subjective as to preference - I happen to like both - I'm all about variety of styles, colours and materials in my rotation. I like the fact that I can more easily alter the shading and tone of my EG crust as well. I agree that crust requires more maintenance, but not "lots". I've worn my Galways a lot this winter and haven't had to fuss with them constantly.

If you're saying that the Vass calf is better finished, then I'm not sure I agree with 2. I think the EG crust is very well finished, and likely involves a lot more hand work in the burnishing etc. as compared with Vass. The finishes are different, but absent personal preference I don't see an objective basis for saying one is better finished than the other.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Ilovelobbs, can you please post up the vass dover too? thank you
Wurger,

I am on holiday, hence spending my free time on SF and these Appreciation thread to properly "chill out".

Will post when I am back home.

LL.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need some help over here. I want a Dover-like shoe, but don't want to pay the EG premium. My choice is either Carmina Taylor model or a Vass model of some kind in museum brown. While I have a good understanding of how the Carmina Taylor model looks like, I've seen very few, if any, split toe derby models on Vass U- and/or K-lasts. In order to decide what to get I'm turning to you. I'm thinking a split toe derby (U- or K-last) or a London model #73 on Vass website (http://www.vass-cipo.hu/Eng/Modellek_08_Olasz/Modell_08_073_Kicsi.html). If someone has pictures in action of either of those models, I'd be highly appreciative. Thanks!

I don't think Vass can do the split toe stitching the way Edward Green does it. Nor the apron stitching for that matter. I believe member stmair (sp?) enquired about it but ultimately came away unsuccessful in that endeavour. Below is a picture of the two kinds of split toe stitching Vass does. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong. If Vass can duplicate the Dover I'd be more than happy to buy a pair.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Didn't you recently submit a MTO for the Gaziano & Girling Hove? I thought you posted that you believed the Hove to be the superior implementation of that particular style?

I do think the Hove is more stylish, but I can't get the Dover out of my mind either. Might have to get them both...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads