• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bah - your shoes, not your photo.
fight[1].gif

Seriously nice.

Jakezero

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the advice, I decided to take the boots as is. The decision between a U-cap and a wingtip was basically a "hey, why not?" moment for me.

Might get a U-cap at a later date, or maybe not. I think it might be time to move on to bespoke. Then again, I said that last year as well... :D

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of you might remember that I ordered a U-cap boot a few weeks ago. They're finished now, but a mistake was made: They were made with a normal wingtip, rather than a U-cap. They'll either remake them for me, or offer them to me at a discount. I'm seriously considering taking the discount as I was originally going to order a wingtip, but there's another reason: they look GREAT.
Opinions?

Great boots..compliments...

yace

Reaction score

Welcome! That is a sloppy welt stitch, and I would definitely contact Vass about it, and think that they will exchange it without a problem. It's a mistake that sometimes happens, but haven't seen it from Vass before.

My Vass has the same problem......

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ordered a couple pair of Shell boots and been discouraged to order further pairs dues to limited shell supply.

I simply stick to Calf when it comes to Vass shoes - I compare my John Lobb (Paris & London) and Edward Green RTW
and find the Vass Calf skin highly superior. 

I have challenged Lobb to source their calf from the same French suppliers as Vass - I am still waiting for a response from Valerie.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have hit the nail on the head when it comes to vass leather quality. Or perhaps opened a pandoras box

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for my first Vass to come in. One of the reasons being, to see how their box calf compares to some crust...

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I'll be interested in your thoughts - I find it a tough comparison - my Vass and EG leather are both very nice, but different. I'd be hard pressed to delcare one to be definitevely superior. @ilovelobbs - what aspects elevate the Vass product in your assessment?

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some of you might remember that I ordered a U-cap boot a few weeks ago. They're finished now, but a mistake was made: They were made with a normal wingtip, rather than a U-cap. They'll either remake them for me, or offer them to me at a discount. I'm seriously considering taking the discount as I was originally going to order a wingtip, but there's another reason: they look GREAT.
Opinions?

I know I'm late here since the event have passed and the (correct) decision was made and I also will annoy (again) a few, but that was not a mistake, they just realized the u cap would not look good on the boot (which is correct too) and they fixed your choice. Nobody believe me but that's excactly what they do. I can't imagine anyone turning down those gorgeous already made shell boots to exchange them for U caps and they knew it.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^ If they knew it, they wouldn't have felt compelled to offer a discount.  The offer of a discount seems like a pretty clear acknowledgement of a mistake.

Come on, you know it wasn't a mistake, that medallion would look horrible in a ucap, they didnt felt compelled to anything, they do that all the time

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on, you know it wasn't a mistake, that medallion would look horrible in a ucap, they didnt felt compelled to anything, they do that all the time

I don't know it wasn't a mistake - and neither do you.

I do believe it was a mistake as to whether the boot was to be rendered as a U-cap or a wingtip.

My belief is based on:

a) Both versions were apparently discussed with the customer - which provides the basis for a mixup, as opposed to a random different style being pulled out of the air by some unnamed person at Vass deciding to impose his personal aesthetic preference over the specs of the customer's clearly defined order.

b) They offered a discount for the customer to accept the boots as delivered, or else the option to remake according to spec.

Offering a discount is pretty universal language for "we goofed, but we're trying to make it right". And offering to remake it in a U-cap is not terribly consistent with your interpretation that they refused to make the boot as a U-cap because they felt it wouldn't look good that way.

What happens on the remake, then, if your interpretation is correct? They once again accept an order they have absolutely no intention of delivering on, then again "pretend" to make a mistake and craft the boot as they see fit? What is offered to the customer then - a deeper discount for a double "mistake". Heck, if he re-orders enough times, I guess he'll get them for free.
smile.gif

Anything is possible, I suppose. But that doesn't add up for me. At all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads