• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

agedashidofu

Reaction score

I think you need to read my post again. I wrote exactly what you mention, that K is less chiseled and with a rounder toe than U. I only compared the two lasts with each other. K is a chiseled last, with a rounded toe (not quite soft square, not quite round).

Crockett & Jones 337 is a last that isn't chiseled but with a soft square toe, for example.

May I ask how different is the fit (K vs. U)?
Sorry this question may have been asked a million times. I've only owned U last but tempted to try K

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you need to read my post again. I wrote exactly what you mention, that K is less chiseled and with a rounder toe than U. I only compared the two lasts with each other. K is a chiseled last, with a soft square toe.

Crockett & Jones 337 is a last that isn't chiseled but with a soft square toe, for example.

Okay - I did misread your post.
Sorry this question may have been asked a million times. I've only owned U last but tempted to try K

For me, the fit is essentially the same between the two except for K having a narrower toe box than U.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay - I did misread your post.

For me, the fit is essentially the same between the two except for K having a narrower toe box than U.

No worries!

I agree with the fit comparison, the same, but with K being a tad tighter at the toes.

Last edited:

agedashidofu

Reaction score

No worries!

I agree with the fit comparison, the same, but with K being a tad tighter at the toes.

Mr. Kuti actually mentioned to me once that K last's instep is a tad roomier vs. U. How accurate do you think? My laces are almost closed on the U after a year of wear. If what he's saying is true then I would probably want to stay with the U last

Thx again

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mr. Kuti actually mentioned to me once that K last's instep is a tad roomier vs. U. How accurate do you think? My laces are almost closed on the U after a year of wear. If what he's saying is true then I would probably want to stay with the U last

Thx again

Was a while ago I tried on the K last, but don't remember feeling a different in the instep. Roger and others who own shoes on both lasts could probably advise you more on that issue.

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspired by j ingevaldsson and rogerp!

X post from the Museum Calf appreciation thread

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was a while ago I tried on the K last, but don't remember feeling a different in the instep. Roger and others who own shoes on both lasts could probably advise you more on that issue.

My only K last is also my only dub monk from Vass. I don't notice a difference in instep fit versus U and F - but I am not comparing oxford to oxford or monk to monk.

agedashidofu

Reaction score

My only K last is also my only dub monk from Vass.  I don't notice a difference in instep fit versus U and F - but I am not comparing oxford to oxford or monk to monk.

Thanks Roger & Ingevaldsson very helpful!

@ Roger: I really like your taste in shoes. First the Carmina navy shell and now Vass' oxblood dm. How long have you had the oxblood dm btw? It's holding up nicely and I really like the depth of color (looks much better than the bordeaux). Did you go for the italian polish?

Shu Sum

Reaction score

Thx again

Yes. I have both K last and U last. K last's instep is a little bit roomier than U last's :)

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wurger got something that wasn't a black cap toe? Something must be wrong!

Last edited:

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incoming by next week (I hope!). Oxblood K last Old double monks, double to single sole and metal toe plates 40EU

I've learnt (the hard way) with sizing. I initially went 1/2 a size up from the F Last which I know some of the guys do for the U and K lasts, but I found the first pair I received to be a tad big especially in the heel.

I'm another person the category of taking the same size in all lasts...

Edited - got to say thanks to ilovelobbs, RogerP and DpprDr for the additional advice and opinions on sizing!

The perfect elegance!

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are just some no-name generic trees.  Should have sprung for the Vass lasted trees with this one, because the very chiseled toe box of the K last makes it difficult to fit standard trees.

Interesting - looks like a good fit.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Inspired by j ingevaldsson and rogerp!

]

Wow, glad I ordered one of these. I thought the gold museum calf didn't look as good as it did when it was illcea but that looks plenty good to me!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads