The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ Bordeaux / Oxblood combo (Ascot pic): [​IMG] This pic may exaggerate the difference - on my monitor the oxblood look salmost black - but Vass oxblood CAN look almost black in the right light. Not so bordeaux. Bottom line - bordeaux is not as dark as oxblood.

2. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

I understand the difference between what you're referring to as Budapesters and the Budapest style as named in the Vass catalogue. (Wing tip brogue derby by any other name) However, I think to say it can only be the straight toeboxed Budapest last is a little restrictive

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

3. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

Thanks RogerP, I've never seen the bordeaux IRL, and I try to avoid getting any color that would stand out, i'd say the vass bordeaux is very nice and right on the border, perhaps the shell version is a bit darker, great for a pair of boots

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Certainly Vass seem to think so, as they call their similar shoes on 3636 and P2 "Budapesters" too. The only time they qualify the term is when it's an oxford or a non-Hungarian last e.g. one of the Ugolinis or the R. Budapesters from other Hungarian makers seem to vary too, so Vass's calling one of their lasts the "Budapest", doesnt' mean it's their only "Budapester", or the single definition of the style.

I think it's fair to say that a "Budapester" is what you said - a full brogue derby, on some kind of Austro-Hungarian-style last with a deep toe box and substantial sole and styling. I am prepared to be abused for saying that, as I'm neither Hungarian nor a shoe maker. But I said it, so there.

Why can't we all just...get along? [​IMG]

P.S. That oxblood looks delicious in bright daylight. I think I might have to do something rash.

5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Love.

:)

6. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

awesome.

7. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Awww! That means a lot coming from you, Frank! :)

8. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Couple of things: Budapesters is not akin to Lazlo Vass. Vass may choose to call their own shoes the way they like but that does not change the significance or reference meaning.

It derives itself from world war 1 era where soldiers would stuff straw in the high walls of the toe box to keep them warm

Here is an old thread on the same topic for your reference Please read post 5 and follow the link:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/108397/what-is-a-budapest-budapester-shoe

9. rikod

rikod Senior member

They are very different, in my opinion the only nice Vass red toned color in calf (except of course bordeaux shell which is wonderful) is oxblood which is kind of a very dark red wine. Vass doesn't have any striking red like GG rioja. Regular burgundy doen't look bad but its flat and uninteresting, red cognac just ugly and 6125 cognac is another burgundy, not ugly but lighter than regular burgundy and boring.

10. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Dude 6125 cognac is a very versatile perhaps the most versatile color IMO of course. I dont have Bordeaux in calf so no idea, agree Red cognac is a color that screams look at me..
    Oxblood is versatile and beautiful but at nite may be taken as black but the true beauty comes out in the Sun. Luv it.
    cheers

11. rikod

rikod Senior member

I disagree with the 6125 my friend, I had 2 pairs and ending selling them, But I have seen many different shades of that color in pictures, so maybe mine were the redest version

12. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Yeah, I read this before. Let's defer to you and only call the strict high toebox shoe a Budapester. While we're at it; only Balmorals can from now on be called Balmorals. I'm gonna fade out of this debate now. Cheers :)

13. wurger

wurger Senior member

Love my oxblood Budapest :satisfied:

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Love my Oxblood dub monks. ;-) But I also love my Red Cognac shortwings - bold to be sure, but I like to live a little. [​IMG] Not that much more bold (in terms of shade) than my burgundy EG Derbies: [​IMG] And not nearly so bright as Carmina Ruby shell. Basically, I dig all the versions of red from Vass. Variety is the spice of life. If you are a Wall Street banker, these probably aren't for you. Not for the office, anyway.

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Any anyway, everyone should have some "look at me" shoes. :)