1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

J, sharing solid information from sources like these is an invaluable contribution. You have my thanks.

2 people like this.
  2. JLopez

JLopez Well-Known Member

Dear All,

I am thinking to get my first vass shoes and I need your advice to choose the right size.

I like the F last and to give you some examples I wear 9 UK E widht in the last 341 of C&J, last forest of Carmina 9,5 UK, 9,5 UK last hiro Meermin.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

3. JayH

JayH Senior member

I can't speak for sizing vs C&J, but i run Carmina Forest in 9.5 Cordovan Oxford and Vass F last in 43.5 Calf Oxford, although they don't fit the same.

F last has a higher instep and an extended toe box, whereas the Forest last is a bit more restricting in those areas. This may be to do with the leather used, Vass calf is vastly softer, and has stretched more than the crup.

I have a Meermin in 9.5 in a loafer, Ron last. Fit wise it is slightly tighter than both Vass and Meermin, the calf is nearly as hard and pliable as crup.

Some size down, from U to F, but i run the same size in both.

It might be better for some other members to weigh in on this but i would say either 43 or 43.5, dependent on the shape of your foot.

4. projectlasvegas

projectlasvegas Member

I am a Uk9.5 in Meermin Hiro
    UK9.5 in Carmina Rain l
    Uk10 in Carmina Simpson
    EU 43.5 in F last
    UK 9,5 in AS 109 Last

Hope it helps

1 person likes this.
  5. JLopez

JLopez Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for you answers, from Vass told me to get a 9,5 UK but other people told me that F last is very close to 341 last C&J so they advice me to get the same size than C&J (9UK).

So I am confused even though Vass told me that if there is any problem with the size they would change the shoes for another ones or refund me the money.

Thanks againg for your help.

Cheers

6. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

I feel that I have learned a lot from your posts here regarding shoemaking. With your logic, I haven't really learned anything at all, I can't understand it at all, since I'm not a shoemaker. Funny thing is, that when I write things that goes in exactly the line of your opinion, I have understood things, but when I write things that's not to your line, I can't understand anything at all. And may I ask why you think it's worth posting on StyleForum (where there's very few shoemakers), when no one here really can't understand what you write, since they "don't have the whole picture", just "see the details"? (Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that you write here, I feel that I learn from you, although you don't seem to think that I can do that. Just try to see it from your perspective.)

And sure, I can revise what I said before. You say that there's a "real and on-going risk of failure", but when I talk to Janne Melkersson about gemming failure, he says that it’s so rare that a shoe break down because of it that it’s almost no reason to take it into account. I'm not saying he's right and your wrong, but that's what he said when me, him and a couple of other guys discussed the issue at a dinner recently. I haven't "bought into a common mythology that no one can actually verify." I was asking why I should believe you more than him, that's what I did.

You are more than welcome to sit down with Daniel or Janne and talk about these things. I have a hard time morphing myself into them, unfortunately.

Regarding rubber soles, the post I think you are referring to is where he talk about a 2 mm midsole. If you read this post by him, they do send their shoes to a factory for stitiching on synthetic soles. Since you were referring to it before, I assume you take this as a first hand source for you. So pardon me, but when you write "James Ducker agrees with me...as do almost every bespoke maker I have ever talked to. The people who most vociferously disagree with me are invariably those who have virtually zero knowledge or experience. What does that tell you?", I have a hard time seeing that.

So, enough nagging about this, let the Vass discussions continue.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    4 people like this.
  7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

vass galway

r last
    burgundy shell
    red brown suede
    double dainite

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  8. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

That is awesome :slayer:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  9. Cal135

Cal135 Active Member

Here some older and used ones, in U-last and size 41. The Budapest-Oxford in burgundy is about 9-ish years old, and the boot in cognac about half a year younger. Both have had plenty of use and abuse thanks to rain, sleet and snow. The discoloring at the front of the shoe is caused by the wet conditions. Boots have commando rubber sole (I will switch into Dainite soles at some point) and shoes have the original thin rubber sole glued on top of the leather.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

@NAMOR - well done!

11. zarkov

zarkov Well-Known Member

Does anyone have pictures of an Old English on the new S last?

12. agedashidofu

agedashidofu Senior member

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Amazing NAMOR! Beautiful makeup and should age wonderfully

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Great makeup Namor, well done. Congrats!!!

15. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Nice NAMOR! But why doesn't Vass hand sew double Dainite?...J/K, J/K!

1 person likes this.
  16. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Like very much both pairs of boots!!. Congrats.

Could you please Namor tell me your feeling about the fitting of R last compare to F last?. Thanks

17. agedashidofu

agedashidofu Senior member

Is that a fact or is it hearsay? Please make sure you don't fall prey listening to a fourth party...LOL

18. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

My perspective?! Honestly, what do you know or want to know about my perspective?

Again, I'm not wearing a badge, here. I can't force you to alter your habits or allegiances or ways of thinking about things. The information I offer is neutral, it is objective analysis from someone who is steeped in the issues to the point that the tail and the leg are automatically perceived as an intrinsic part of something else.

My perspective is that a good many people here on this forum take sides about anything and everything--like how long pants should be worn. Apparently they cannot help themselves.

My perspective is that people want the answers to be easy and not require anything of them.

It's not rocket science, it's not heart surgery but I suspect it's a lot more intricate than you want to believe. If it wasn't, this forum would be full of shoemakers.

Which suggests another question...why are there so "very few shoemakers?" Do you think it might have anything to do with the attitude you've and others have expressed?

I admit I am perhaps foolish to post to a community where there are so many for whom "Style" is all and substance is nevermind. Yet there are people on this Forum that agree with me. Who accept that experience and knowledge...and yes, even a willingness to share it...is far more worth listening to than speculation and unfounded and esp. dismissive, opinion. Or hearsay.

Why is that, do you suppose? What have they seen in my remarks that you have missed?

I don't know much about anything except shoemaking--it's my life, my field of expertise. But, again, many here--especially those who know everything about everything--seem to resent that. I wonder if all the other shoemakers who have been here encountered the same attitude?

And I told you--no reason and every reason...but only if you're looking for reasons and not justifications. I suspect you slid right past that part.

The real question is...and it's one that many here (you as well?) can't seem to get their heads around...is why does it have to be Janne or DW? Why can't it be both? Why can't we both be right?? This isn't a rhetorical question--in the end, it's all about context...and maybe the depth of the answer.

As I said, it's taking sides...of course, that's easier than thinking or researching, much less honestly admitting that you don't have the background to understand.

That's my point, exactly.

I was talking about the awls (in response to you), nothing else. You brought up all these other issues...not me. So who's nagging who?

Where was your concern about "Vass discussions" then?

--

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. Junior

Junior Senior member

Just ordered my second pair of Vass!

Austerity brouged derby boots
    U-last
    Burnished antique cognac calf
    Single dainite sole

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.