1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Huh, I have 2 P2s...I had called buda.

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

My first pair...trying on my scotch grain norwegers from NMWA

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  3. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

I don't know if it's how they come out in pictures, or if there's a great color variance with Vass' Gold Museum Calf. I feel RogerP's pair is flame-ish and has a dominant reddish undertone. Pinkpanther's pair isn't as red as RogerP's, but falls inbetween RogerP's and the following (I'm sure it's someone's from this forum)
    [​IMG]

This pair above is what I would want mine to look like when/if I actually commission a pair in Gold Museum Calf. The color variance have held me back, though.

Do you, @RogerP and/or @pinkpanther , have any input regarding this? Does Gold Museum appear like the picture I provided above in natural light or is there actually a great variance in color between those and yours? Thanks.

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Mine defintely have a reddish tone, but then they were the last batch of the old Ilcea product.

I will add that there is DEFINITELY some variability in Vass' current museum offerings, just going from my navy museum as compared with VRaivos above.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  5. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Yeah, that's what I suspected. Not to take anything away from yours, they're beautiful and even more unique than the Gold Museum provided atm, but I can't sport shoes that reddish. I'm even struggling with my C&J Westbourne in chestnut calf. Yeah, I know, I have no imagination/fantasy :(

6. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Those are very similar in colour to mine. I think that's the Bonaudo version?

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ I think you should be safe, Don. One other forum member (Swede?) got a Vass pair from the same batch at around the same time as me, but since then I haven't seen a pair of gold museum with that strong of a reddish tone from Vass or from anyone else for that matter.

8. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

I guess so. Maybe the best thing to do is to shoot Vass a mail and ask about their current batch as compared to that specific shoe and also ask if their current stock is from Ilcea or Bonaudo (given that this less reddish shoe is from Bonaudo).

Bonafè currently supplies the kind of Gold Museum I prefer. But then again, I would like to have the Gold Museum made on the U-last like the one I posted. I took a look at Vass' new website, and the Gold Museum they're displaying there is more in line with what I want. If it's the Bonaudo calf I should hurry up as it will disappear from their stock since they've gone back to Ilcea (I think?).

9. Junior

Junior Senior member

Went with cognac-ish coloured flat laces instead of the old round dark brown ones. Did a lot imho.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

IRL my gold museum doesn't have much (or really any) red in it. Love the color, conservative yet interesting.

11. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Thanks. I've emailed Vass regarding the matter now.

This is what they have on their website, and the picture is relatively new so I suppose it's from their latest batch: http://vass-shoes.diego.5net.hu/sit...rge/public/shoes/shoes_5300.jpg?itok=LlULEz7Y It looks much like the one I linked to above. Would you say yours looks like those calfs?

12. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

13. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Agree that the brown balmoral shoe looks awesome. I'd say U-last, model 126 with medallion, in either dark brown museum or dark brown with burnish.

Don't know if it's been that much talk about the fact that Vass offers burnishing on their shoes now, a bit similar in look to Edward Green or Gaziano & Girling, with darkened toe and a bit on heel. They showed it at the Stockholm trunk a couple of months ago, looked pretty good. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Thanks. I must have missed the burnishing part during the trunk show. How much do they charge for it?

15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Great. Now I need burnished Vass.

16. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Don't know if it's free, or if you pay as with Italian polish.

You're welcome [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

[​IMG]

18. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

I've now asked Reszö about that brown oxford that you fell in love with. I'll update the info here once I've his answer.

On another note, how could we even enjoy shoes before there was museum calf? All shoes seem to look better with this manna from out patron saint, St Crispin, bestowed from the heavens to our feet. All hail museum leathers!

1 person likes this.
  19. mimo

mimo Senior member

Personally I think they've been rather over done. But that doesn't mean I'm not thinking of some. :)

20. techaview

techaview Senior member

Bro, this pair is mine... To give you a clearer I have uploaded bigger image for you to view. These are taken using my iPhone 5 camera indoor under natural lighting and no editing was done. I prefer this gold museum to the ilcea gold museum for it is more subtle and conservative... Cheers! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014