1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

Wearing the same shoes today [​IMG]

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Frank - most excellent.

3. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

:nodding:

Thank you, Roger!

4. Yoop

Yoop New Member

Hey guys - long time lurker, haven't posted much. I am thinking of buying my first pair of vass shoes and the shoes in the links below seem to be in my size. I have tried on vass before and I am a 41 in the U last, so fit is not an issue. I am just a little hesitant as these are used - but the price, especially for the cordovan seems reasonable vs. new. Has anyone had an experience with buying used vass on styleforum? Appreciate the help.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/429812/vass-u-last-size-41-mid-brown-suede-double-monks-500
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/429814/vass-u-last-size-41-dark-cognac-cordovan-double-monks-650

5. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Is it just me or do those cordovans look like they've never seen a brush? No top down shots would have me worried

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

those double monks are a nice shade of cognac. vass shell is susceptible to spotting, not as bad as Cj for RL but pretty close. water drops can be especially problematic

7. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

It wasn't so much the water spots, more the creasing (I know that's not the right term for shell) in the last pic that appears to go some way down the toecap. They look dry as hell too

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

yeah the rolls are standard for vass shell too. lots of it in the toe cap, some would argue the best style for vass shell is a wingtip and i wouldnt disagree with them. not sure how brushing would help though. do you mean a deer bone for the rolls?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  9. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

I just meant that the areas in the dips of the rolls look really dry and rough. I have a pair of DC lewis shell that go like that after wearing and they take a bit of work to get looking good again. Maybe the guy just took the pics after wearing them

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

yeah that might be the case. all my vass looks old and none of them have been worn more than 10 times. :embar: a quick brush takes off 5 years in seconds :happy:

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I have found this to be true of Carmina shell as well. And AE shell. And Alden shell. Shell is durable as hell but a royal PITA to keep looking good if you wear it in foul weather.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

maybe in that order from hardest to easiest to maintain.. alden shell is easy like calf

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

Cordovan is overrated.

14. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Carmina shell is so hard to keep clean/shiny

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

They look OK to me, just rather ordinary photos take away some of the glamour. But also, the U last has such an extended toe, it's bound to crease at the end with a cap toe design, and I'm not sure it's ideal for shell. Each to his own.

However, the price: $650 is the price of Vass direct, with trees and shipping, or thereabouts. Upgrading to shell would make it about $750. So for a used pair, personally I'd want a better price. If you want an easy transaction and short time line, it's still a saving, otherwise, buy a new pair for $100 more: although Vass won't ship direct to new individual customers in the US now (so I'm told), if you're confident on your size, you could still order through a proxy. Switch on the bat beacon and talk to @Notch

16. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

not talking about upper - because its a matter of conditioning - but soles look like a helluva lot more worn than "5-6 times". thats what my shoes look like after a year of fair rotation (like 50 wears). unless its been walked in the rain

17. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Hi again, I have not received yet my first two pairs of Vass, and I am already thinking about next order in 2015. Is this madness or what!! (only a friend of mine here I can share it with, and of course you!!). No budget at all, but still on!![​IMG]

I am sure I will go for RTW Double Monkstraps in Oxblood calf (RogerP and some others show me the masterpiece... thank you) in F most probably or P2 last, but before deciding myself It will be much apreciated if you could kindly answer me:

a).-Will Vass charge me for HAF sole and toe metal tips on top of RTW?.
    b).-Any pics of a double sole in Double Monkstraps?. No one?
    c).-Names of the diff models of buckles: rounded one (love it) / square /others.
    d).-What do you think of the P/P2 lasts for the model compare to F last?.
    e).-Any pic in P2 Double Monks?. No one?

Gracias to you all again for your inputs and comments.

18. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

If the original owner is in NYC, I can see there to be more wear than average. JR soles are fairly durable though. When I lived in NYC, I covered 4-6 miles daily in my smart shoes (literally).

Is that the current price for shell? I thought it was higher. The last time I had something made (albeit it was a boot in whiskey shell) it was well >$1K and that was some time ago.

I'd prefer not to comment on an "appropriate" price for another SF's listing (I respect that listers can dictate whatever price they want) but maybe a discussion in PM could be had between you two and a agreeable solution can be made.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  19. 63AMG

63AMG Senior member

Xpost from worldwide group buy thread.

Double monks in gold museum on u last

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

2 people like this.