The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Not sure if VASS does this for MTO, but I know other makers can add an extra piece to the instep (or other places if needed) on the last. Hence adjusting only for a higher instep, while keeping the width, length, and heel the same as before. Might be worth looking into...

2. rc121

rc121 Senior member

they will do this but I believe last adjustments constituted bespoke or "semi-bespoke" prices. It was mentioned previously in this thread, but it was also mentioned that they would only do this type of adjustment in person

3. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

Absolutely!

4. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Which one runs bigger? 42.5 F-last or the 9.5D 5-last (allen edmonds)

Are they approximately the same?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  5. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I fit P2 oxfords quite well, but the F oxford of the same size is unnecessarily tight across the laces. The gap at the top of the laces is about 1cm too much, and there's a real lack of comfort. So, P2 is higher/wider as far as the instep goes. Whether that is a good or bad thing will depend on your feet.

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

:S

7. timotune

timotune Senior member

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

9. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Seriously. Though he needs a pair of low-tops, yo.

10. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Anybody recently bought directly from Vass and shipped to the States? What were they priced at? Thanks.

11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I got two Vass in September, no taxes/customs.

Edit, apparently misunderstood. 420*2, and 40 for shipping.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  12. rc121

rc121 Senior member

iirc, €420 plus €40 for shipping

13. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I don't know anything about the lasts that Vass uses but it may be worth remembering that with the exception of boot lasts, for instance, few lasts will have a significantly higher instep than other lasts used for the same purpose.

Raising the instep of a last will distort the shoe and not necessarily address the issues of people with high insteps.

It's really all about "girths." The measurement around the instep of the last.

To address those issues, or the issue of some lasts not fitting a particular foot while others do, the substance, the girth of the last through the waist needs to be increased or decreased. That can be done by designing the last with a higher instep...that's one way. But as I mentioned, it comes with its own set of issues. Another way is to add substance under the instep--in the waist. Chances are the results will be near-as-nevermind identical. Substance can be added on the medial side of the last or even in the region of the "root of the fifth" on the lateral side--where there is often a large muscular pad.

All of those tactics will create more space for the larger higher instep. But even the width of the heel can affect the way a shoe laces over the instep.

Again, I don't know Vass' last but I would caution that unless you were to set identical sized lasts next to each other...not the shoes...it would be hard to definitively say one last has a high instep and the other does not. Or, for that matter, the reasons why one fits a foot and the other does not.

--

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  14. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

+2; Really good pick.

15. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

After having initiated my first ever order 7 months ago, receiving and discovering they were half a size too big, sending back for a remake, I received these F last OE II in 6125 cognac which fit correctly (fit pics to follow in the week when I take them out on their maiden voyage)
    My advice for those unable to try a pair on and chancing by researching on here and other forums-have patience!!
    I've almost failed 100% when trying to research sizing online when not able to physically try a pair on.Had the same experience with my first two pairs of Meermin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've got another on the way - K last oxblood dub monks which I sized up half a size...after reading certain experiences on here I hope I made the right choice! o_O

FWIW- C&J 348 6.5EUK
    Vass F last 40EU

Apologies for the phone quality pics as I don't have a decent camera like some of you lads on here do.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014