Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

purely comparative judgement, of shoes of assorted brands and lasts, i would say F is on the shorter side for instep profile

2. velomane

velomane Senior member

Thanks for the replies so far. How does the P2 compare to the F last regarding instep. I get the sense from having read most of this thread that it is slightly lower. Is this correct?

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:It may be a comparative thing - if P2 is highER than F, then F would be lowER than P2 - but I wouldn't remotely describe F as low instep in absolute terms - I couldn't wear the shoe in a standard width if it was. And U, F and K all fit the same through the instep for me. Though in fairness, my only K last shoe is a double monk. But my U and F last shoes are all oxfords and they all lace up nicely with no huge gaps - and most significantly - no instep pain after a long day of wear. F last, 43: [​IMG]

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:I had understood from prior posts that P2 had a lower instep than F, but as I have no direct experience with the P2 I can offer no comparison. My half dozen or so Vass pairs are all U,F and K.

5. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

I disagree. F last, and U for that matter, have higher insteps than any other shoes I have.

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

7. rc121

rc121 Senior member

so now I'm a tad bit confused. I was planning on just going up a .5 size from my F last pair (which is a little too snug over the instep) to my second pair either in F or U since I can't go up in width anymore. I have an average instep as I understand it, so would a last with a lower instep relieve some of the tightness in that area? what lasts would that be if not the P2, F, U or K?

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Why can't you go up in width any more? What width are your current F-last pair?

9. rc121

rc121 Senior member

H

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ Understood - those are some wide feet, homey. I believe the 3636 is about the widest Vass last, but again, it's not one I have any direct experience with. Sizing up a half size in F may work out for you - and won't necessarily result in a terribly compromised fit for length. You are best positioned to guesstimate how that would work out. I've certainly gone up a 1/2 size from the same manufacturer in different lasts and had very good results.

11. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

so now I'm a tad bit confused. I was planning on just going up a .5 size from my F last pair (which is a little too snug over the instep) to my second pair either in F or U since I can't go up in width anymore. I have an average instep as I understand it, so would a last with a lower instep relieve some of the tightness in that area? what lasts would that be if not the P2, F, U or K?

A last with a lower instep would increase tightness over the instep, not the other way around. Or am I misunderstanding what you ment?

12. rc121

rc121 Senior member

that was what i was confused about, so a high instep would actually give more volume around the laces?

13. rc121

rc121 Senior member

based on the fit of my 40.5 F last, I think my correct size is really a 41. The 40.5 is very snug and I tend to prefer a little more room. That being said, I was curious about how the different lasts and instep height might effect the fit. I would much prefer the sleeker F and U last since my wide feet would likely make the Budapest or 3636 look very blobby

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Oh yes - completely different look to those lasts for sure. Sounds like a 1/2 size up might be the way to go in your case.