1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. mimo

mimo Senior member

1. Colours of tanned leathers, and cordovan in particular, tend to be within a range of variations, so one "cigar" shell wouldn't necessarily be identical to another, just close.

2. "Cigar" in Alden's shell cordovan terminology. It might be Horween's too, though I think they actually just give their colours numbers. Vass have their own colour terminology, so they will call their shell colours by the name of whatever is closest in their (more consistent) calf colours. For example, I've seen shoes made up in what appear to be "Saddle" and "Whisky" shell that have both been described by Vass as "Cognac".

3. Therefore, even if Vass have a colour that Alden or even Horween call "Cigar", they will call it something else. My guess would be "Antic Cognac", as that's the leather colour in their range that it most closely resembles. My advice to you is to ask them to send some daylight pictures of the shells they have in stock.

2. ghosty06

ghosty06 Active Member

I agree with Mimo, but I contacted Vass and they mentioned they have in stock Cigar & Whiskey Shell from Horween in addition to their current offerings of Beaudeux, Anique Congac, Black.

3. justsayno

justsayno Senior member

4. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Vass also refers to cigar as brown shell. Per Vass Saddle, Whiskey and Cognac shell are three different colors, with whiskey and cognac almost very similar.

5. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

6. al128

al128 Member

just to add some spice to this lovely thread:

what model of Budapest is this? ...

compared to the typical ones, the rear quarter is different - also the wing lines run parallel unlike in the other budapests ... nother odd thing ... color = MERLOT ... not a regular color of Vass

[​IMG]

here a "regular" budapest ...
    [​IMG]

any thoughts?

cheers, Al

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  7. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Does Vass have similar color ranges for Oxblood, Bordeaux, and Color 8 Shell or are people using these terms interchangeably?

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i just ask for burgundy :rolleyes: but ive heard kuti refer to all of the above

best to send a pic otherwise youre certain to get something else. thats not to say that specifying color gets what you want..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  9. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Best is to use Bordeaux Shell, remember there is a light and dark shade of Bordeaux so good to be specific.

10. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Thanks guys. They did get a picture and I requested oxblood shell so I hope I get a darker one. Kind of confusing though, I would think Oxblood = darker burgundy shell and Bordeaux = Lighter burgundy shell since that's what they do for calf.

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

The Vass shell set up is interesting.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ hows the thickness of your shell? ive noticed the shell on both of my boots is pretty thin. i foresee busted seams and torn shell in the future :/

13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

thin cousin.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

vass shell setup is :censored:

15. LS7

LS7 Senior member

How did you determine this may I ask? Is it just the experience of owning many shell shoes and boots from a variety of makers?

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

yeah feels thin to the touch. if i sandwich the shell with two fingers i can feel my finger pulsating through the shell. thin shell on the shaft wrinkles much faster and is at risk of tearing; must use shoe horn and unlace boot to avoid risk of busted vertical seam. shell thickness varies from hide to hide and then the hide can be uneven itself. I have seen shell as thick as 2 mm on the shaft of my unlined wolverine boot but my vass boot lined shaft is just under 1mm. C&J, wolverine, vass, etc doesnt have piping so you can compare side by side

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Could anyone point me to any photos of a vass shoe with a 360 degree flat welt? All the shoes I see have a closed heel and 270 degree flat welt. Not sure if I've seen it or it's offered even

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  18. joshsx

joshsx Member

Just received over the weekend. Fresh out of the boxes.

Briefcase 02 - Black Calf / Black Velour
    Roma - Oxblood Calf / Black Velour

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

+ a few belts

10 people like this.
  19. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

Is it just the angle of thhe photo or is the centre tip of the austerity line thing off-centre? (Second photo, shoe for left foot)

20. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

I just asked about that as well. There may have been some miscommunication, but I was told the only one that could be done with an open heel was the 360 goyser. All others have the 360 internal stitching with the 270 welt and closed wooden nail heel.

[​IMG]