1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Chanklebury

Chanklebury Senior member

Thank you Ozzy, good observation - on looking again I can see what you're referring to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Not sure if it would work for you, but someone has a good deal on a new 43 Budapester with trees on eBay...check out the measurements. I don't know about 3636 comparisons, but the Budapester is about 5/8" shorter than F and P2 in size 43...however, it is about 1/4" wider.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380970379278?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

3. Chanklebury

Chanklebury Senior member

Wow, those are very nice. I had been looking for a light tan, but still! I wonder what the seller did with the box given they are stated as new. Could they have been a sample sale perhaps.

edit - Is anyone who wears a Trickers 4444 - or perhaps a Loake Pennine? - able to post experience of sizing v the Budapest?

4. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

A half size smaller and those would've been GONE!

It's strange; the guy quite often lists NWOB Vass. He has bags and trees but no boxes! Maybe they're walking out the back door! [​IMG]

5. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

I just had a major revelation. I know probably every one realizes this but I didn't really appreciate it or understood why I liked the old english so much better than similar brogues. I think this is because of the way they hand cut the leather rather than have a machine cut it but there aren't any triangular edges when they sew the pieces of leather together. That's seriously amazing! I checked all the major brands and they all have the triangular edges (though better ones are minimized). I always thought the handmade part just made the construction and quality better but this is very visible. Seriously good stuff and makes it look so much more elegant. <3 vass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

are you referring to the pinking? i agree OE is a signature vass

7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

pinking to my understanding takes slightly more work, not less work, than straight edges.

8. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Pinking is just styling, you either choose to have it, or you don't. Has nothing to do with handmade or not, and for what it's worth many Goodyear welting RTW brands hand click their upper parts,just like Vass do. Pinking is often used with brogue pattern, but if you look at the plain cap toes etc of same makers who pink their brogues you see that they obviously isn't pinked.

That said, I definitely agree that brogues without pinking can look much cleaner, and do prefer that in many cases.

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

I agree with the styling point, though: having the brogueing without the pinking (or "gimping", as I believe it's also known in shoe world) keeps the shoe just that little bit more smooth and formal. The two do go together almost always, but taking that one element away somehow keeps the visual interest while making it less like a "country shoe". Anyway, everybody knows that F last OEII is awesomeness. It's just interesting to pick over this one detail of the "why". :)

10. dlind

dlind Senior member

Thanks! Just spreading the love!

11. LS7

LS7 Senior member

I concur with your preference for the straight edges (and I own the OEII myself). However your post reminded me of a feature often found on Vass with broguing, perhaps only noticeable with the OCD eye of an SF'er who has slightly too much time on his hands. By this I mean inconsistencies in the broguing pattern.

[​IMG]

It's not a major flaw by any means, but it bothers me more on an formal Oxford style shoe than it would on a rustic Derby.

12. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

...while we're on the geeky subject of shuu details, I must admit that I've grown bored of broguing. Smart pairs just look cleaner, more formal and rounded without all those holes to stop eyes gliding from back to front. Austerity, plain or gimped pairs for me from now on, thank you.

1 person likes this.
  13. techaview

techaview Senior member

I noticed that also. Hence the reason I go for austerity on my oeii.. To minimize the chance of inconsistency on the broguing should that really happen. Morever it has a more formal feel.

That being said, I am already setting my sight on a full brogue antique cognac f last ... :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. Shouldaville

^ I have asked about the OEII without broguing myself...that is perfect. Vass should just fit it in as a standard 65.5 model and sell a ton of them.

15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

meh, I have both and like both equally well. Choice comes down to the specific shoe / boot and where it fits in the rotation.

1 person likes this.
  16. rc121

rc121 Senior member

pretty sure that's a standard Vass model, the OEII plain

17. Shouldaville

Hmm...maybe it is. Seems like most standard models have some stock, but the last time I checked there weren't any and I'd have to order...not a big deal.

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

@stmaier yeeeeeeee

[​IMG]

But you still have plaza indys :(

2 people like this.
  19. Shouldaville

I know I'm late to the party on the NMWA u-cap, but wow, what a nice shoe and a perfect fit. The vamp/toe box seems just a shade higher than my other P2 in the same size.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ Those are absolutely fantastic.

1 person likes this.