• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

here are some Alt Wien boots that arrived the other day...P2 last, burgundy cordovan...larger "classic" medallion...
These are really great. At some point I should probably add a pair of Vass Burgundy shell and medium brown suede to my collection. Just need to ponder the model and design.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
If I can add my 2 pence on this subject and good to see you back.

John Lobb has 150k Laser cutting machines for the uppers and patterns, and other 100k machines to now put the uppers onto the last (you won't see any of these machines in their promotional videos) so I expect every single pair to be cleanly cut and consistently well made. You pay double compare to Vass to obtain the bare maximum from Lobbs. Don't get me wrong, but every shoe manufacturer makes mistakes, some are smarter at hiding them.

Vass shoes has a uniqueness about them, not one shoes are exactly the same. If you ordered 2 pairs of the old English 2 in size 42, they may vary slightly if you had 2 separate guys doing the hand stitching. That's the beauty of Vass. Variety in life great.

Chogall, mediocre a harsh word to use against Vass.

LL

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm, in what universe would one consider Vass as "mediocre"?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LL, please let me know how does laser cutting machines relate to lasting.

Without repeating myself from another thread and going full eristic, Vass manufactures for its spec determined by its price. ~$800 retail price (including customs) is NOT too notch but mediocre. It's better bang for the buck for sure as the labor cost in Hungary is much cheaper than UK. But the same thing could be said for the labor cost at Bangladesh.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
I never said they were related. Lobb has 2 separate machines, one for placing the uppers on the last and the other for pattern cutting.

1/4 million £ of machines to keep up with churning out 500 pairs per day. LOBBS finally made a profit in 2012.

HRoi
maybe someone from the Royal Family would consider the word mediocre. End of the day, it's all relative.

Hmm, in what universe would one consider Vass as "mediocre"?

LL, please let me know how does laser cutting machines relate to lasting.

Without repeating myself from another thread and going full eristic, Vass manufactures for its spec determined by its price. ~$800 retail price (including customs) is NOT too notch but mediocre. It's better bang for the buck for sure as the labor cost in Hungary is much cheaper than UK. But the same thing could be said for the labor cost at Bangladesh.

dlm4114

Reaction score
I can't wait to see a pic of that grey museum calf. Notch -- do you think that the plum will be one of those leathers that pops a lot in sunlight?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to see a pic of that grey museum calf. Notch -- do you think that the plum will be one of those leathers that pops a lot in sunlight?

Plum looks close to black in artificial lights but pops in sunlight. If you prefer seeing the museum calf patterns, go for the lighter color options...

JL made Hermes gray museum calf.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass are on their way!! I have the strangest feeling I'm going to be staying home from work sick tomorrow

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads