The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ I don't consider it "crapping" on Vass shoes - I asked for the experiences of others and you have given yours. Our experiences quite naturally inform our opinions and perceptions.

If your experience was the same as mine, your perception might be closer to mine. My Vass shoes don't have obvious defects, so when I look at a pair of EG and a pair of Vass - both defect-free - I don't see a difference in quality of finishing or perceive a difference in the quality of the leather. Whether one views the difference in price as substantial or not is perhaps a red herring, as the difference can actually be quantified.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

2. LS7

LS7 Senior member

I'd tend to agree with the comments above. My first pair of Old English have slight flaws in the consistency of the broguing, i.e. the pairs of punched holes are a little awry with respect to each other (don't line up neatly). I've seen this on other pairs posted in this thread and on B&S. Personally I don't consider it a major issue and I just chalked it down to the charm of a hand-made product, however an EG with such flaws would be marked as a reject.

3. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Interesting perspective/experience Jerry, though far from my own, I must admit.

I think my sentiment for EG is well known around these parts and I have rarely, if ever, been disappointed with their shoes. My experience with Vass has been equally good.

Aesthetics aside, the main difference I see is that EG (and Lobb for that matter) is essentially a factory that produces a relatively large number of shoes per year and has what I would call an assembly-line approach to their production. Vass, on the other hand, is still making shoes in a one-off manner which, by definition, increases the likelihood for defects.

An apt analogy might be...Will Charvet and and Fray have a cleaner stitch than a shirt that is made by hand? Almost certainly. Will the handmade shirt sometimes lose a button or see a stitch come unraveled, again in my experience, almost certainly. This comes along with territory in a handmade article and we can either live with it or not, but to expect cookie cutter perfection (not implying this your expectation Jerry) from a handmade operation will always lead to disappointment.

4. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

I agree with the above, and greatly appreciate the variability of a totally hand made (one off) shoe. It is part of its charm and I rarely purchase RTW now. I put up with the minor issues of finish that come as part of the package. Does not mean I don't grumble now and then about minor issues.

I do consider what I saw with my Vass shoes as defects however. Maybe I was unlucky.

The two pair I have left are great.

5. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Nice to have you back BTW.

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

That's a lot of EG...

Good to hear a civil debate for once. I've read too many heated threads lately.

I have a couple of Vass products on order so I should receive them by the end of the year (not sure what the turn-around time is right now). :D

7. aportnoy

Thanks Jerry!

And we are in complete agreement...variability is charming but a defect is unacceptable!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

8. aportnoy

I not sure I would call that a lot.:slayer:

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Great post.

10. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

OFFS! I haven't even got my first pair yet and you guys are giving me the fear! (Otherwise known as the Meermin)

11. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I forget, now that you're back you've raised the baseline. :nodding:

I can now defer to a couple of guys when my fiance says I have "a lot" of shoes. :thumbs-up:

12. laufer

laufer Senior member

I have exactly the same problem. That is where the stitching is located and it is unlikely to stretch after wear. I might take my shoes to cobbler but Nick is the only one I trust to do that job.

13. prettywish

prettywish Active Member

finally got confirmation from Kuti, I will pay 10 more and use SHA to make the wire transfer.

14. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Not even close!

15. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Quote:Gawd, I hope not!