• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

my first pair of Vass: F last OE II in oxblood, size 40.5 in H width. There is hope for us really wide footed people!

They fit wonderfully but are a little snug on the top of my foot around the bottom two laces/eyelets. Is this due to the high instep or low tow box on the F last? I am hoping they loosen up after a few wears, but is there a similar last that might fit me better considering these issues? Can't wait to start working on another pair.

Great shoes, unfortunately that area is snug for my oxfords in F last as well and it doesn't seem to loosen up. My F last bluchers on the contrary fits extremely well.

rc121

Reaction score

Awesome shoes. Didn't know they have H fitting. What's your size in AE/American, EG, or JL?

I was told they only do H fittings on certain lasts/models so I asked rezso and he said they could do the F last OE II in H.

This is my first pair of high end shoes so I don't own any JL or EG, but my standard AE size is an 8EEE (same size in the 5, 8 and 333 last although there is a little variation in how snug/loose they all are). I would say the 40.5 H width fits more snug then my 8EEE AE, but I bet the 41 H would have fit almost identically. We'll see though, as I've only worn them twice and they may continue to loosen up.

n-domino

Reaction score
Some posters wanted to see better pictures of my Theresianer high boots. I tried my best with an iPhone camera. These are on the F-last with a Vibram sole. I added Alden flat-waxed laces because the stock ones Vass uses would tear easily. Some of the creases stand out more than they usually do as a result of dirt that accumulated from walking along some trails.

Last edited:

stgrim

Reaction score
Dear Sirs,

I am looking to commission an MTO Austerity Brogue with either Gold or Plum Museum Calf.
However, I am entirely new to VASS lasts and sizing.
What do you think would be the most attractive last for an Austerity Brogue?
Also how would you think I would size in the last that you would recommend?
I wear US 9D in the 341-last Crockett & Jones for Peal & Co 341 shoes, an 8.5E in the Allen Edmonds 5-65 last and 9D in the AE 1-last

Finally, would the cheapest way to obtain a pair of VASS shoes, save for being in Budapest itself, be to wire money directly to them and have them send it over via their local post option?

Thank you for your advice!

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^Nice boots...got mine in 2008!!

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dear Sirs,

I am looking to commission an MTO Austerity Brogue with either Gold or Plum Museum Calf.
However, I am entirely new to VASS lasts and sizing.
What do you think would be the most attractive last for an Austerity Brogue?
Also how would you think I would size in the last that you would recommend?
I wear US 9D in the 341-last Crockett & Jones for Peal & Co 341 shoes, an 8.5E in the Allen Edmonds 5-65 last and 9D in the AE 1-last

Finally, would the cheapest way to obtain a pair of VASS shoes, save for being in Budapest itself, be to wire money directly to them and have them send it over via their local post option?

Thank you for your advice!

U or F last for austerity. For a boot, maybe F last, so it's rugged and yet still sleek.

bleu

Reaction score
I have two Old English 2, 38.5 F (normal width) which I am wearing two thin leather insock (by Vass). (two in each shoe). This should be roughly translated into 0.5 size difference. So after those, I bougtht 38E (narrow last), not OE2 but oxford style shoe again. Length is OK but not snag.

Having said that, all of those are really comfortable to wear. Heel and insteps are holding well and their sole and upper are quite soft so added insocks do not bother me at all.

It could be just me and I have a narrow foot.

I would think that we have about the same size, what UK size do you usually wear? I'm for example UK5 in Loake Capital-last, Crockett & Jones 348 and 236, i think my feet measure about 24,5 cm. Do you have any Vass in U-last, if, what EU size do you wear?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Those look awesome.
looks cool.
Thanks!
Some posters wanted to see better pictures of my Theresianer high boots. I tried my best with an iPhone camera. These are on the F-last with a Vibram sole. I added Alden flat-waxed laces because the stock ones Vass uses would tear easily. Some of the creases stand out more than they usually do as a result of dirt that accumulated from walking along some trails.
These are fantastic. The Vibram lug works really well on them. I really do love me some scotch grain.
^^^Nice boots...got mine in 2008!!
See above... :)

rc121

Reaction score

A cobbler could stretch that area.

I'm trying to do it a little myself right now. I put a sock around the shoe tree and will leave it in for a few days, then check the fit. I will try a thicker sock after that if it is still too snug.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm trying to do it a little myself right now. I put a sock around the shoe tree and will leave it in for a few days, then check the fit. I will try a thicker sock after that if it is still too snug.

That won't be enough. Too mild to create the stretching effect IMO.

Better tape some paper around the area you want to stretch on the tree, use a stretcher, or use stretching spray and wear the shoes for a few days straight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads