• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Monday all.

As of about two weeks ago, I didn't even know that this colour existed in the Vass stable. But once I did, it was love at first sight. My thanks to the good peeps at Ascot for the always excellent purchase experience.

Red Cognac on the U-last:

orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg

Very, very nice shoes Roger! I've never been a big fan of goyser/norvegese, but I love the subtle take on these. Among the best norvegese-stitched shoes I've seen.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Very, very nice shoes Roger! I've never been a big fan of goyser/norvegese, but I love the subtle take on these. Among the best norvegese-stitched shoes I've seen.

I was thinking about getting the 270 white goyser stitching on red cognac, but was worried about it being too flashy. (I didn't want natural because it sometimes looks dirty)

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm a fan of goyser stitching, though this is only the second pair of shoes that I have that are so equipped. My worry about the white stitching would be that it would actually get dirty, not to mention the risk of coloured polish or cream getting on it. It's a very cool look on the right shoe, though.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks guys.  I'm a fan of goyser stitching, though this is only the second pair of shoes that I have that are so equipped.  My worry about the white stitching would be that it would actually get dirty, not to mention  the risk of coloured polish or cream getting on it.  It's a very cool look on the right shoe, though.

That's true. There is also this look I was pondering with yellow goyser.

What would match well with Antique edge dressing?

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
veni - it really comes down to personal preference. I think the goyser stitch works better in general with a brogued shoe versus smooth leather - it can look somewhat stark against the latter to my eye. But I remember that Notch had one for sale in cordovan that I quite liked.

Not sure how I feel about the yellow. I think if I were going for contrast it would be something in a neutral tan colour. But that's just me.

sstomcat - that's a very handsome pair. Nice to see so many shoes being posted of late.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some Budapest love.
tomcat, beautiful pair of budapesters sir. I love their 270 degree goyser welt. Your posts of this particular style of old school shoe making has really excited my interest in Lazslo Vass handmade footwear. Are there any particulars about this make-up, like the last and material, that you can share?

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Some Budapest love
[/IMG]

These are lovely shoes. I am really very fond of this last. I also like that the shoes appear to have ther own glass of wine and place setting. They make an elegant table guest.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
is that peter last?

i think this is p2

Last edited:

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sstomcat - that's a very handsome pair.  Nice to see so many shoes being posted of late.

Thank you.

tomcat, beautiful pair of budapesters sir. I love their 270 degree goyser welt. Your posts of this particular style of old school shoe making has really excited my interest in Lazslo Vass handmade footwear. Are there any particulars about this make-up, like the last and material, that you can share?

Thank you. This is the Budapester in black cordovan with 270 goyser(the standard) Please note this is a short last and somewhat tight fitting in the forefoot area as compared to the 3636.

These are lovely shoes. I am really very fond of this last. I also like that the shoes appear to have ther own glass of wine and place setting. They make an elegant table guest.

lol they do.

looks like 3636. great last indeed

They are on the Budapest last.

Last edited:

mtc2000

Reaction score

I was thinking about getting the 270 white goyser stitching on red cognac, but was worried about it being too flashy. (I didn't want natural because it sometimes looks dirty)

The different colors on the goyser stitchings as well as the sole edges are actually painted on. This is well documented in Vass' book.

When in doubt, order white or natural color goyser, with natural color sole edges. See if you like the finished shoes. If not, any competent cobblers should be able to convert (i.e. paint) the sole edges and welt to dark brown or black relatively easily. Understandably, this can't be done as effectively the other way around.

I ordered those rather flashy yellow goyser Cordo's, knowingly that I might get tired of them and have the goyser/sole edge converted someday.

Ecstasy

Reaction score
Happy Monday all.

As of about two weeks ago, I didn't even know that this colour existed in the Vass stable. But once I did, it was love at first sight. My thanks to the good peeps at Ascot for the always excellent purchase experience.

Red Cognac on the U-last:

orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg
Such a wonderful shade of red!
fing02[1].gif
Are they pure red in real life?

I would love a side-by-side comparison of red cognac and the new cherry red that surfaced not too long ago.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ecstasy - they are not pure red in real life. On my monitor, the images show a very close representation of the true colour. The examples that I saw of he cherry red definitetely look more like a pure red. I'd say these follow a progression in "redness" from Oxblood to Bordeaux to Red Cognac.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads