1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. wurger

wurger Senior member

Just factory applied topy, that is normal heel

1 person likes this.
  2. arahat

arahat Senior member

Cheers, I sourced those kangaroo myself. Let me know if you are interested, I'm happy to help.

I think I can say with certainty that I doubt anyone here speaks on behalf of Vass on the matters of kangaroo leather supply or quality.
    I can only make judgement from the kangaroo leather I have at hand and from what I have seen, felt and learnt at the tannery.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  3. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

arahat, those kangaroo chukkas are awesome!

Here are mine in navy suede.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. arahat

arahat Senior member

Oh navy suede, nice. Those are excellent tchoy.
    Why didn't I think of that?

5. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Thanks! I love my suede shoes.

6. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Beautiful color...For me these are the most comfortable shoes. I have a similar pair and they are perfect.

7. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Arahat,can you PM me the price of the kangaroo leather :)

8. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

My question was whether it is possible to ask for a toppied heel aswell.
    I have never had a shoe toppied before and thus don't know if it makes sense to have the heel toppied aswell.

9. joiji

joiji Senior member

1 person likes this.
  10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Excellent. Chukkas are my fave shoe style. When I retire and have less need of more formal dress shoes, I'll be in chukkas every damned day. [​IMG]

11. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Thanks Roger! I am lucky I can get away wearing suits or sports coat for work with my chukka boots. i was going to order the Carmina blue suede chukka boots but decided on the Vass as it's a better fit for me.

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

@tchoy Ascot has that blue suede pair in my size and I was tempted even though I have the Carminas. Yes, I have issues....

They have a sleek looking pair in black calf as well, but I need to sit on my wallet at least until the fall as home renovations are eating up discretionary cash.

I wear my St. C. chukkas with a sport coat and tie, but generally go with a dress shoe for suits.

Enjoy those blue suede beauties!

13. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

You me and a few of us here all have issues :).
    I have more shoes then I care to admit. If budget wasn't wasn't an issues I think most of my shoes will be coming from Saint Crispins. Your Stc chukka a are just stunning.

14. Staffer18283

Staffer18283 Senior member

I am at the upper end of that scale at UK8 so hopefully the issue is less amplified for me than what it would be for someone ordering a UK6 (ie someone ordering EU40). I ordered EU42 on Reszo's recommendation.

15. glyoung

glyoung Member

Love your choice in goyser with a closed-laced shoe. You have another pair with that make-up, correct? Your photos helped me from second guessing myself as I have an order with goyser on the OEII on the way =)

16. SimplyLime

SimplyLime Well-Known Member

Is it just me or the more I look at these kinds of shoes, the uglier AE/alden/c&j benchgrades/etc look.

17. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Epaulet x VASS scotch grain captoes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Yes - this pair below is essentially the same make-up - and thanks! [​IMG] rydenfan - love that scotchgrain pair.

19. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Hey guys, I'm placing an order for two cordovan shoes and I was wondering if I could get some input on whether or not this makeup makes sense and has a place in one's shoe wardrobe. First of all, I have no derby or cordovan shoes and I usually wear business casual clothes. I'm probably over-thinking this but I'm dropping a lot of money and I don't want to have any regrets.

#1 Punched cap toe derby, basically the same as below (F Last / Single Sole) but in oxblood shell.

[​IMG]

When I see this style it's mostly in calf and shell seems much more prevalent with other styles of derby shoes (PTB / LWB). Is there a valid reason for this? Does the fact that it has features pulling in opposite directions make it more or less versatile? On one hand there's the sleeker F last, quarter brogue, and single sole and then in the opposite direction there's cordovan and derby. I love the design, it's just I'm wondering if the shell would make it worse and I'd be better off getting a LWB.

Also, the other shoe is a Budapest in antique cognac cordovan so I thought a punch toe would make sense. Am I going to regret the punched cap toes? Will this makeup not look good or have no place in my wardrobe? Thanks.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have the latter model in Antic Cordovan, P2 last, single soles. No complaints. The basic wing-tip (Budapester) works wonderfully well on their more modern lasts.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.