1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Distinguished Member

2. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Senior Member

I will be going to Budapest in Dec and I'm looking forward to visit Vass in person.

Do you guys think it's a better idea to get fitted and order a pair and have them shipped to me instead of picking up a pair in person which I have to pay VAT? I know VAT can be refunded at the airport but I understand it's a bit of a scam since you'd lose half the refund to pay for the commission to get a refund!

3. Bonggoy

Bonggoy Senior Member

Pay cash and they will remove VAT, or so I heard ;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

Bring cash. They do 10% off if you pay in cash.

And is that museum calf the new tannery's leather, or the old tannery??

5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

Have to chime in here and say this are absolutely stunning: design, leather, and photos. My goodness.
    No experience in buying in person in Budapest, sadly, but it seems as if you'd have to take into account the cost of shipping (which is about $45 to the US, for example) compared to the discount afforded by avoiding VAT. It seems as if there's been discussion here about a cash discount that may be available for in-store purchases. Those who have visited, can confirm or correct this (Already answered...). Anyway, wish I were visiting Budapest and Vass myself.

6. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Distinguished Member

Saywhatnow!?
    Next stop Budapest!!

7. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Senior Member

Thanks for the tips guys! I will be sure to post photos of my experience visiting Vass. :)

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I think there's a little mixing of apples and oranges here. I've not been there myself, but my understanding is that you have two options:

First option: buy stuff while you're there that is ready-made. You know it fits, you get a 10% cash discount, and you take your shoes home. However, Vass cannot "remove the VAT" as the sale is being made in Hungary. The discount is for cash and convenience. And Hungarian VAT is 27%, so removing it would give a reduction of about 21% off your bill, not 10%. As stated above, to get the VAT back as you're exporting the goods, requires use of a VAT refund facility at the airport. In my experience I've never had time to do this at any airport, whatever the fees!

Second option: try on stuff that's there, know your size and last and style. Either choose something they've made, or order something not in stock in your size, pay there, get the 10% discount, and leave. Let them send your shoes to you, which means they can also deduct the VAT as their postal or courier receipt is proof of export.

Personally I'd go with option two. However, if I were going to all the trouble of flying to Budapest, I'd be getting measured up for (semi)bespoke and making it really worthwhile. It costs about 40% more, but for lasts adapted specially to your foot, it's got to be worth it. Man, I want to go to Budapest now...

9. Swede66

Swede66 Senior Member

SOOO nice!

10. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Thanks very much for the comments gents - appreciated. j ingevaldsson - while the dark brown has its own subtle beauty, having seen the gold in person I am exceedingly happy with my choice. This will look stunning in an austerity brogue - I predict that you will love it a bunch.

11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

Wrong thread, my bad, beautiful shoes distracted me

12. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Distinguished Member

Wrong thread maybe?

13. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior Member

Roger one word: Delicious.

Is this rtw or MTO order?
    I WANT. I WANT IT NOW

14. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

This is the 'old' museum calf, from the now bankrupt Ilcea. I haven't seen anything from the new source (I don't even know what that source is) but I sure hope it is as nice as this.

Here you go:

[​IMG]

Thanks my man - I got these from Notch - it was one of I think only two Ilcea calf in his latest offering here on the forum.

15. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Distinguished Member

Thanks, yes, I think they will be great.

Regarding the new museum calf, I know Rezso has been in contact with both Italian Zonta and French Tannery Haas, not sure though which tannery they ended up ordering from. But since he sorted it out very quickly and that this was in August, I think it was Haas (since Italians is on vacation in August, and in general don't work that fast..). I actually think that John Lobb gets their museum
    calf from Haas as well, since they switched supplier about a year back or so. Not certain about that though.