1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I love them. Color is great. Really deep. And yes, wear with all those. They seem to go really will with denim in fact. Could wear for business as well, I'd think, though the Goyser makes for better casual wear.

2. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

There's s a difference. Some people size down 1/2 size from U to F and dome don't. I've never tried F in size EU41. But I can tell you that the U in EU41,5 is a much better fit on my foot than the F in the same size.

3. hentaisan

hentaisan Well-Known Member

Do you think the 41.5 F last is slightly too big?

Can you describe how the Simpson and Rain fits on you?

4. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

The F is roomy in every aspect. I would say a little more than I want it at least around the ancle. I don't know if i could fit into EU41, but I surely would like o try at least.

The Rain fits snug and comfortable, as I would like it. I get some, not much at all though, heel slip. Nothing serious, I don't need pads or anything like that but I can feel that the Rain is a better fit. Also I wish the Simpson was slightly wider. All in all, U fits me best and most comfortably. Hope this helps.

5. hentaisan

hentaisan Well-Known Member

yea, my experiences have been pretty similar. I'm still torn between 41 and 41.5.

Do you compensate for the extra room by using pads in the F (or wear thick socks)?

6. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough, the slip is in the Simpson, not F last. I haven't experienced slipage in the F, just roominess as in generous volume compared to my other shoes. I never compensate to get a good fit. My rule of thumb, since I have relatively normal feet, is that if I need pads etc to have a good fit the shoe ks probably the wrong size. So it's nothing drastic that calls for assistance, but it's a little fuller than I would like it.

7. agedashidofu

agedashidofu Senior member

X post from another thread.

Seems like they're keeping old formulas as well as the technical stuff. From my discussion with Mr. Kuti he mentioned that they're making samples for Vass (due in May.) They (vass) are not sure yet of the quality until they've seen the samples and therefore not yet ready to promote Ilcea. The soonest timing of taking ordes (assuming samples are good quality) is around sept / oct.

1 person likes this.
  8. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. partyof6

partyof6 Senior member

My first pair of Vass shoes arrived last Friday: Austerity Brogue in antique cognac on F last.

Thank you @RogerP for recommending them and for the spot-on sizing advice! Need to give a plug to No Man Walks Alone too for the great service and fast shipping.

Before wearing them for the first time, I was going to coat entire upper with Saphir or Collonil medium brown cream followed by Saphir wax on toe. Sound about right? Or should I apply Reno first?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    5 people like this.
  10. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

since the shoes are direct from the factory, I doubt you need any cream on it.

11. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

Beutiful shoes! I typically use Reno, then cream and finally wax on any new shoe.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  12. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Vass has a really nice finish already. Do you think it's necessary to wax a new pair of Vass?

13. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Thank you guys!

I'm not 100 sure, but think the latest plum batch is from Bonaudo.

14. partyof6

partyof6 Senior member

Thank you!

Not sure. I typically treat all of my new shoes before wearing them to add a layer of protection. These are nicer than any others that I own, however, so perhaps this is an unnecessary step for footwear of this level of quality? They do have a few scuffs on the sides, but they will buff out.

15. agedashidofu

For folks here who have owned and worn both Vass and Carmina, what has your experience been so far, in terms of comfort and quality? I've owned and worn both for ~4 years now, and am still undecided on which one is better...:) would be interested to hear others' experiences.

Here's my humble long-term review so far (limited to rain, simpson last for carmina, and U, K last for vass)

1. Comfort
    Soles generally start out really stiff for Carminas but very comfortable once broken in. Vass is normally more flexible from the start (maybe bcs they're hand welted)

Footbed on Carminas really mold to the shape of your feet over time - not as much for Vass (Carmina uses cork porridge for the footbed while Vass uses cork sheets, just like St Crispin.)

Heel grip is much better for Vass (heel shape is curvier and hugs the heels better.) Never had any heel slip problems with Vass. I always have heel slip with new Carminas, but gone once sole becomes more flexible. Still, the heels don't grip as well as Vass.

2. Longevity
    I have a 3 year old Pair of Vass which still looks as perfectly balanced as when they were new. My carmina pair had gone off balance over time.

Leather upper still in good condition for both (they're Horween shells.) I don't own any calf skin for Carmina, only Vass, so can't comment there

The insole for Carmina has held up very well (not so much for Vass.) the full insock lining on Vass deteriorates over time (though can be replaced easily.) I generally prefer carmina's traditional half sock lining.

Am really itching to include St. Crispin in the long-term review, but I would have to own one first :))

16. agedashidofu

Would love to hear Roger's point of view. I know he has maaaaany pairs of Vass & Carminas

17. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

I own two Carminas, and four Vass (have owned more), and to me they are really in different leagues. Carmina are really great shoes for the price, no word about it, but Vass is definitely at least one step above. Vass has better leather quality (although they do use a bit too much from each hide to be perfect, the quarters are often a bit lower in quality), better soles, real leather heel and toe stiffeners instead of leather board heel and plastic toe, better insoles, and, obviously, better construction method.

2 people like this.
  18. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

What J said goes for me, too. I am a huuuge Carmina fan, but Vass is at another level in pretty much all respects.

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i dont know all that much about construction, gemming, hand welt, etc so i cant speak to the specifics however vass are some of the best built shoes ive ever handled. if EG and G&G had an uncle from the old country, it would be vass and he has bread with every meal

1 person likes this.
  20. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

I also own both and agree with both former members. Vass is on a completely another level in all aspects. (Lower) price hasn't been the reason why I purchased Carminas, but the color choices and differentiating lasts in my rotation. I find the Forest, Simpson and Rain last appealing. And I've always found Vass' dark brown calf dull and a bit boring to be honest (haven't tried the museum brown yet). Color and lasts are the reasons I even try new stuff. I'm extremely satisfied with Vass construction wise, price/quality ratio etc.