1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. agedashidofu

agedashidofu Senior member

Ok, weather is really good this Sunday morning, so after last night's brushing & polishing

Vass - Bordeaux Cordovan on K-Last - direct sunlight.

While my vass are all U-lasts, I decided to take a risk w/ the K-last for the 1st time. A couple of differences that I noticed:

1. Instep on K-last is a tad roomier vs. U-last. On the U-last, the V-gap for me is ~1.0 cm on the right foot, while on the K-last, it's only 0.75 cm. Yes, I did measure :)
    2. Toe box is shallower vs. U-last. No issues on the width - almost the same.
    3. It looks so chiseled from the side. I do find it a bit weird (completely fine when looked from the top.)

I think I prefer the looks & the fit of the U-last (especially the instep.) Enjoy the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  2. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Oh wow! I'm not a fan of the K last but those look fantastic!
    I need me some Vass shell in Bordeaux or oxblood

3. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Stunning shoes. Is there any length difference between the lasts?

EDIT: I'm asking because I've been thinking of getting a pair of Vass on the K-last. While I'm really eager to get an exact pair of RogerP's oxblood double monks on the K-last (they're really awesome, RogerP) I'm thinking that maybe the K-last is better suited for wholecuts/oxfords without a toe cap because, at least to my eyes, it looks shorter and thus a wholecut on the U-last may be looking to long in real life. What's your thought on this?

4. bozzkeren

bozzkeren Senior member

that one is K last and yes because of my first attempt at Vass i've got my sizes wrong, i went half size up

i used Boot Black neutral polish, quite soft and waxy polish, not that kiwi dry kind
    yeah i think vass have batch variation in their oil green leather, mine was very soft and more olive in colour
    i've read way back that earlier and latest antique cognac and red cognac batch also have different tone

5. bozzkeren

bozzkeren Senior member

great make up!!
    btw what do you mean the toe box is shallower in K last?
    does U last have more elongated nose? i thought it was vice versa

6. agedashidofu

K-last is actually a tad bit longer (on the same size) vs. U-Last. Not noticeable at all from 4 - 5 feet away though :) I can post a few comparison pics when I get the time next week.

7. agedashidofu

K-last has a more elongated nose vs. U-last - you're correct. Shallower means smaller volume in the toe box (height is lower vs. U-last in the toe box.) U-last has a more gradual decline from the Instep to the toe-box, while the K-last is steeper (it makes it look more angular.) If that makes sense. I can try to post comparison pics when I have time next week.

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

@agedashidofu - damn, awesome makeup dude!

@DonRaphael - thanks - my K and F last are the same length. Bottom line is there is less room in the toe box in K, whether one wants to attribute that to less lateral or vertical space. or a combination of both. I definitely perceive a narrower (i.e. pointier) toe box in K versus U.

Edit - very quick and dirty comparison shot. K on the left, U on the right:
    [​IMG]

9. agedashidofu

Thanks Roger! I'm planning to get the gold museum calf next (but when they start re-sourcing from Ilcea again.) Your gold museum Calf F-last makes me drool every time I think about it :)

Btw - now that I measure the K & U again - they're definitely the same length (thanks for the correction Roger.) Somehow the pointier toe on the K makes it look longer...

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ Cheers my man.

11. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Wow. I gotta say, your DM is not for the faint hearted. I need to get me a pair. Immediately.

And thanks for clarifying about the length.

12. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

[​IMG]

Here's my oxblood K last DMs, for me the narrower toe box is no issue.These are built like a tank with the HAF soles, I've taken them out once but looking forward to plenty more wear!I'm now trying to decide what to get next

13. Bonney

Bonney Senior member

is there any site to buy Vass online?

14. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

BEAUTIFUL colors

15. wurger

wurger Senior member

my brown museum calf U Cap from Vass

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Nice, Wurger! K last?

17. wurger

wurger Senior member

18. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

@wurger another great make up there brother!Would be good to see your Vass in a group comparison shot on this thread to help educate others especially on the differences in lasts.I don't own any U yet however leaning towards it for my next oxford MTOs

19. wurger

wurger Senior member

Thank you, Torsion, I only have F and U last, I personally wear the same size in both.

1 person likes this.