Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. obama

obama Well-Known Member

No problem at all.

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Is there a list of other colors that vass has? Because I don't recall seeing museum calf.

3. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Check out their online catalogue.

4. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

5. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

Rumors say that the tannery is insolvent and may go inte bankruptcy. Let's hope they manage to get it up and running again.

6. steveyoo1983

steveyoo1983 Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

That's what I've heard as well. here is a picture Rezso sent me (I think the darker one is called +8 and lighter one -8)
    All of ours were done with the darker museum calf.

[​IMG]

I've had the JL museum calf loafer (which I've sold few weeks back) and couldnt tell the difference. They are quite beautiful.

7. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Both look nice...Id love to see any make-ups on the lighter one. So far only the dark one seems to be popular.

8. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Whoa: I'm a 7UK in the Rain last, but in 348 I go down to 6.5UK, not up. I am puzzled...

9. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

It would help me sir if I knew what your foot measured on the brannock device in US sizing.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

10. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Does vass have a calfskin of this color?

[​IMG]

I think they have a red cognac color, is it like this?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

11. obama

obama Well-Known Member

Hi, i have a small sizing question. Would appreciate any input. My best fit Vass is a OE II F last in size 40F. The width is perfect. The heel is a bit roomy but not enough for heel slip. The toe part is a bit long as I prefer my toe to reach farther to the shoe tip. I also experimented the 39.5G, which is a bit snug but I think it will become more comfortable when break in. Comparing both sizes, I prefer the 40F fit. So, I think I am on the small size of 40F.

I am going to order a double monk in U last. My question is given I am a smaller 40F in F last, do I need to go 0.5 size up (so 40.5F) for U-last as recommended by some members here? Does double monk wear any smaller/ bigger compared to the Oxford models, such as Melton and OE II? Thanks.

The new museum calf in gold color for reference:
    [​IMG]

12. Zarium

Zarium Senior member

I can't say whether a double monk will wear smaller/bigger compared to oxfords, but judging on the vamp opening of the shoes above, I would size up to 40.5 for the U. I wear a size 40.5 on Vass' U last too, but in regular width.

I must add that the museum calf in gold looks good.

13. obama

obama Well-Known Member

Zarium, lucky to find someone wearing the size 40.5 F (standard width) in U-last. Does it fit you perfectly? Do you have sizing references on other lasts, eg F last, Carmina Rain/ Robert last , or C&J 348 last?

I must echo that the gold museum is a very nice color in person. Depending on what color of the top you usually wear though. I found it less versatile than other darker choices, eg dark cognac, bourdeux, and museum dark brown. A drawback for me as I do not have a wide collection.

14. Zarium

Zarium Senior member

The U last fits me perfectly. I don't know what size I wear for the F last since my only experience with it is with two pairs of size 41 shoes that never fit me properly, but if I were to get a pair made on that last I'd get it done in size 40.

The other last that fits me as well as Vass' U is Meermin's Olfe. I take a UK 6.5. I also take a 6.5 for Meermin's Ama last.

I have two pairs of C&Js -- Westfield and Belgrave that I also wear 6.5 in, but those don't really fit me all that well and are uncomfortable to wear for extended periods. I attribute this to simply the lasts being unsuitable for my feet, because size-wise they're correct.

15. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

Beutiful shoe!

I did not size up on the U-last, but went to a G width insted. Fit is perfect. In my experience the insteps are similar in F and U, also lenght and general width. The "narrowing" towards the toe starts "earlier" however.