1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Cal135

Cal135 Active Member

Brown cordovan, U-last. I have 15 pairs of shoes/boots made by Vass. Three pairs in cordovan. I would recommend calf or grain instead of cordovan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SHS

SHS Senior Member

^Why would you not recommend cordovan?

3. Cal135

Cal135 Active Member

Nothing wrong in cordovan as such. Good and strong leather, relatively easy to maintain, but for me it has become boring. I prefer the patina that you can get from good calf (assuming you take good care of your shoes), cordovan just doesn't age as nicely. Cordovan could be ok for a hard wearing boots, but even for those my pick would be grain.

4. alloy13

alloy13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Many say the F last looks plump in pictures but is sleek in person.

It may have to do with the high instep, which is partially hidden when trousers are worn.

My 41.5 F last Italian oxfords above. For the small size, they are really quite pointy, almost like the G&G Deco last.

5. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

alloy13 - I think the perception of the plumpness of the F-last is more in comparative (with, say, K and U lasts) than absolute terms. I have a pair of black F-last punch caps. Love the shoes. They are far from blobby, but I'd have a hard time calling them "sleek" - particularly if they are sitting on the rack next to my K-last monks.

Nice wholecuts, by the way.

Last edited: May 30, 2013

6. RogerP

I'll have to completely disagree with that - even allowing for differences in subjective perception. Shell cordovan has always represented a small minority in my shoe rotation as comared with calf, but ages just as nicely in my opinion, assuming both are equally well cared for. Franky, I find much of this rhapsodizing about the "patina" of calf shoes rather overblown.

7. sstomcat

sstomcat Distinguished Member

Thanks for posting..

8. RogerP

Huge Vass fan here, but I have seen those Carminas in person and they are gorgeous.

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Stylish Dinosaur

nephew, good looking suede wt, wear in good health

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Stylish Dinosaur

good people can agree to disagree. the patina on #8 is the best

11. justinkapur

justinkapur Distinguished Member

Its hard to say but to me it looks like the fit of those doesnt seem to work for you. I mean I only have a few pairs of cordovan but my creasing is not as bad as yours are. I think my cordovans have aged wonderfully and its been a short time since I have had them and I love them.

12. RogerP

I was thinking the same regarding fit - none of my cordovan shoes reflect anywhere near that level of creasing - almost looks like the shoes are a full size too big.

13. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

I had some creasing with my pair (although not as close to the tip as the pair being discussed) and I'm wondering maybe part of it is Vass' toe puff/stiffener does not go as far up as other shoes. Just thinking out loud as I do not know if this would make a difference. I also wonder if wingtip designs tend to do this more.

14. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Nice looking, although I'm not sure that I associate suede with Dainite. I'm thinking of getting that model in either black or oxblood calf in the P2. There is a wide F, but Reszo says that it is essentially a P2 with just a little difference in the toe shape. I could experiment on this, but P2 looks its sleekest with a wing-tip, if you don't count the Norweger.

Last edited: May 30, 2013

15. chogall

chogall Distinguished Member

How do you know how well they age if you only have them for a short time?

And regarding creases, it might or might not be a fit "problem" as all RTW shoes will have fit problems one way or the other. And sometimes even bespoke shoes will have fit problems...