1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:I'd say that's a pretty sound recommendation from a very informed source.

2. member2000r

member2000r Senior member

I want to buy a F last double monk too...for a typical UK9 shall I go down to 42-42.5 instead of 43?

3. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

+2

4. barky

barky Senior member

I find it funny that this thread is littered with postings that indicate the F last fits large on most people, with those with wide width and/or high instep being the exception, but people are still going with their direct conversion from their normal UK/US sizes. I have posted a conversion chart earlier and if you compile even just a handful of sizing posted and study that chart closely, you can work out a fairly accurate correlation between the F last and UK/US sizes. And yes, the F last do, FOR MOST PEOPLE, fits larger.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

It did for me, I went down 1/2 size
    9uk
    F last 42-5

6. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

How does the F last compare to the New Peter last? If I wear a 43 in New Peter (I have this one), should I go down to a 42.5 in F or stay 43? I've been kinda lusting after these in F last lately:
    [​IMG]

7. barky

barky Senior member

I don't have any experience with P2 but the common wisdom is that it fits similar to F, just slightly roomier in the toe box.

8. barky

barky Senior member

I would like to add that if you have low instep/ low volume/ flat feet/ narrow width, you are going to have to size down even more.

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

Great. Another self proclaimed Vass expert.

Now if I take the flip side of your expert suggestion, are you implying that "most people" should buy U last in half-size-up from their F last size???

But Mr. Vass thinks otherwise.

Hmmm. Whom to believe...

p.s., why would anyone suggest going down half a size for too wide a shoes is beyond me. The proper way to fit is to go down a width. Insufficient allowance between toe and edge of the shoes will result in toes pinched; but if you have nurtured and deformed feet...

1 person likes this.
  10. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

For me both F and U fit slightly on the large side. I am a 8 UK in most brands and with "traditional" conversion a 42, which Rezsö recommended at first. Came out big though and I now wear 41 in F and U.

11. barky

barky Senior member

Certainly not from me. All I have said on U last is that most people here size down but some don't. I have no opnion on that last. As for the F last, you are certainly more than welcome to test my hypothesis for you ownself. The conversion chart is here.

[​IMG]
    I do agree with you that sizing down a width is the correct way but most people just size down.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  12. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have 45 in P2, which fits pretty well. I am able to squeeze into 45 F, but the instep is about 1cm too small. One option might be to do a wide F, but there are some risks and inconveniences to that.

FWIW, I have that very model in P2 (oxblood), and while the F does look better, I still like how it comes out on P2.

13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I'm not at all sure that this is correct. One could just as easily claim that most people here wear the same size, but some don't. I have seen the mostly same voices suggesting a size difference - but the same can also be said of the opposite side. I really don't know what most people do in this regard.

I do know that I take the same size in F and U lasts. And I do know that I have a wide-ish forefoot and high-ish instep. I find the fit essentially the same between the two everywhere but the toe box, which is narrower and comparatively more confining in U. Such is true of chiseled versus round toe lasts in general. If one has fat, widely-splayed toes, he may well have to take a different size (i.e., a larger size in the chiseled U than in the round-toed F). But chiseled lasts in general aren't going to be very accommodating of that type of foot shape.

I do know that one vendor that I have worked with - who has both vastly more experience than I and a financial interest in getting the fit right - did not recommend a size difference between U and F.

And I do think Mr. Vass knows a good deal more about these lasts than I do.

14. mimo

mimo Senior member

I'm not sure why this is a matter of such debate. If shoe sizes were just a matter of length, depth and width, it would be easy - i.e. if we all had cuboid feet. But we don't. Every foot is a different shape, every last is a different shape. My feet are relatively wide across the forefoot. And slightly different sizes. And rather curved. I have a size that usually works for me, but sometimes go up or down or wide or not.

The fact is that Vass lasts, like most makers' lasts, are different shapes and not just different toe designs. So they will fit everyone differently. Some will be the same size in all - perhaps lucky enough to be closest to the version of the "normal" foot that Mr Vass had in mind when designing. And some will have to size up in this or down in that because one shape is just not quite right for their pinky or their instep or their heel width or whatever. There isn't a rule. Except perhaps start with your normal size, and there's no substitute for trying stuff on. That is all.

2 people like this.
  15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Mimo. Yes and no. All that you say is true, but there still are some sizing up / down choices that are so prevalent that they take on the status of general rules. Like sizing down a half size for the Alden Barrie last, for example.

Sizing up for U or down for F (depending upon one's frame of reference) is not such a rule, IMO.

Mr. Vass' input on sizing is telling insofar as it suggests the rule might well be the opposite. Of course, some may find that deviating from that rule works better for them.

16. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Is it possible to avoid VAT on that if they're exported?

17. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Outside Europe you should avoid VAT. Rezso certainly quoted me a VAT free price before I unfortunately had to tell him I live in Europe

18. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Yes, you're right. I thought he said US9.

19. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Nice description. My low instep and wide forefoot is maddening. P2 is one of the best I've found.

20. dlind

dlind Senior member

+1, as long as you get them shipped to you/claim VAT back at the airport when going home.