• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

archangle13

Reaction score
Does anyone have the size of Vass down to a science yet? I thought I was done until rezo told me I should go up half a size for the U-last. I'm usually a C&J 9 and according to the reference sheet he sent me I should be a 9,5 in Vass.

So the question is: Should I go up to a 10 or just get the 9,5 in G-width?
My impression is that Renzo tends to overestimate sizes. My personal recommendation would be to go for the smaller size, but then again I'm new to Vass sizing.

Swede66

Reaction score

My impression is that Renzo tends to overestimate sizes. My personal recommendation would be to go for the smaller size, but then again I'm new to Vass sizing.

I agree on this. I had to return my first pair (F-last) and have it sized down a full size versus the size Rezso recommended based on what i have since before. I am typically between 7.5 and 8 UK; often 7.5 is too narrow but 8 is sligthly large. He recommended size 42, but i had fully closed lacing despite an extra insole and still had heel slipage.

Stigland

Reaction score
Thank you both!

So basically I would do well in just ordering the regular size? My feet pretty much fits perfectly in the C&J 9E, how are the differences between the width between Vass and C&J?

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, that's what I theorized initially. Do you have any wrinkles towards the edge of the wingtip or 'ends of the wing'? Pardon my poor shoe vocab.

For me, the cap toes minimize the creasing. For some of my wingtip designs, there are creases on the ends. The only ones that do not have these are my Alden LWBs.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received my Vass U last black wingtip barmoral. In terms of size, follow your usual UK shoe size. I brought my Vass in UK9, it fits me very well. I find the shape of the shoe virtually the same as Anthony Cleverley RTW last.

For reference, I wear UK9 normal width for every shoe maker, except G&G in UK9.5 in their soft square last.

Swede66

Reaction score

Thank you both!

So basically I would do well in just ordering the regular size? My feet pretty much fits perfectly in the C&J 9E, how are the differences between the width between Vass and C&J?

I wear 8 in C&J 337, Carmina Rain and AS 109. 7.5 in AS 87. For Vass F-last 41 was the right size (I was recommended 42 from Vass). Never (yet..) tried U-las. For F, i think the fit issue originated from an unusually high instep compared to the ohers, not from width or lenght.

archangle13

Reaction score
I agree on this. I had to return my first pair (F-last) and have it sized down a full size versus the size Rezso recommended based on what i have since before. I am typically between 7.5 and 8 UK; often 7.5 is too narrow but 8 is sligthly large. He recommended size 42, but i had fully closed lacing despite an extra insole and still had heel slipage.
My foot size is exactly the same size as yours, how strange... And yes, Renzo recommended me 42 on the F last too.

I got 41.5 against his advice, and it was slightly too big as well. But I stuck with the shoe and filled it with an insole and heel grip (the latter is quite useless).

Can anyone comment if the U and F last has the same width at the ball of the foot? How about length from heel to ball? Does the U have less volume under the vamp than the F?

How is instep volume different from volume under the vamp?

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will try to help once again, please take note:

UK7 = US8 = 40.5 in the F
UK7.5 = US8.5 = 41 in the F
UK8 = US9 = 41.5 in the F and so forth

If GG, replace UK size for half size bigger, I can almost guarantee that is 90% accurate. Maybe the other 10% have wide or fat feet. For the U last if you have narrow feet (like me), same size as F, but must people upsize by half a size.

Just don't pay attention to what Vass says, they don't know, they have no idea.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I would like to say the first order should be a laced model, ideally an oxford, this allows the widest mitigation on fit.

Also, I strongly encourage AC RTW as a reference point, it is pretty much the same, except the heel is cut higher on the Vass.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Also, I would like to say the first order should be a laced model, ideally an oxford, this allows the widest mitigation on fit.

Also, I strongly encourage AC RTW as a reference point, it is pretty much the same, except the heel is cut higher on the Vass.

I will try to help once again, please take note:

If GG, replace UK size for half size bigger, I can almost guarantee that is 90% accurate. Maybe the other 10% have wide or fat feet. For the U last if you have narrow feet (like me), same size as F, but must people upsize by half a size.

Just don't pay attention to what Vass says, they don't know, they have no idea.

I appreciate it's a mine field when you're dealing with Vass sizing and styling for the first time. Reszo & Co are knowledgeable when it comes to sizing and comparison of their own product.
If you are relying on them to assist with recommendation based on your current sizing with other makers: Lobb; Edward Green; Cleverleys and Crocketts etc... then it's more tricky.
Vass do not sell these branded shoes and cannot possibly give a true like for like comparison. They may not have come across any of the other makers first hand unless a customer was to walk into their store and show them the English made shoes.

I don't think Vass are being snobby, it's probably more snobbery the other way round. Imagine emailing EG; Lobbs & Cleverley and telling them you're so & so size in the Vass F, U & K last,
and you wanted the exact fitting and for the Lobbs & EG.

One, they will probably never reply.
Two, if they do (Chogall will agree), they will add a C and tell you to F.U.#.K off....because they don't have a clue on the Vass fitting.

When I first ventured into Vass I used a proxy with experience in selling other branded shoes - The guys at Ascot Shoes have experience selling Lobb, EG, C&J's; Cleverleys; SC.
Their insight can help with the like-for-like comparison of other shoes. I am also aware there are guys like Tom Brone and Kolecho who can assist with a 2nd opinion on Vass sizing.
I just received an email from Ascot they be receiving over 70 pairs of RTW Vass shoes in the next 3-4 weeks. With prices starting from £395 exc VAT.

Last edited:

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is consistent with my experience.

My left foot is a UK6 in C&J lasts 236, 337 and 348.
My right foot is right at the verge of UK6 to UK6.5.
After two pairs which came out too large I was undecided between EU40 and EU39.5 in the F last.
In the end I went with EU39.5 and received the shoes this friday.
I have only worn them on a carpet at home so far but am satisfied with the fit.

By the way, I recommend getting half size bigger than shoes one piece shoe trees.
The pair in EU40.5 I received came with EU40 trees and they were very loose.
For my pair in EU39.5 I asked Mr. Kuti to ship them with EU40 trees and they sit in the shoes perfectly.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just received an email from Ascot they be receiving over 70 pairs of RTW Vass shoes in the next 3-4 weeks. With prices starting from £395 exc VAT.    

If so, that would be absolutely fantastic - but that's the equivalent of about US$300 less than they charge via their eBay store, so it's also rather surprising to hear.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
^^ Yes, that sounds almost too good to be true. Have Vass really got that much margin to give a wholesale price? From a practical point of view, it makes the difference in price small enough for Ascot to be a viable alternative.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Yes, that sounds almost too good to be true. Have Vass really got that much margin to give a wholesale price? From a practical point of view, it makes the difference in price small enough for Ascot to be a viable alternative.

Eh, what?

That price is just similar to most proxies pricing except that Ascot still charges shipping on top.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads