Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. joiji

joiji Senior member

DYEL?

I find the same thing, I wouldn't worry about it. If you find you can't deal with it, replace the spring with a softer one.

2. archangle13

archangle13 Senior member

How am I to do that? I don't mind being a carpenter for a day, as long as I'm sure I won't wreck the trees.

3. joiji

joiji Senior member

4. joiji

joiji Senior member

5. archangle13

[​IMG] Stiff trees will be my choice.

6. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

They can be a bit tough to get out at times, but I don't think the problem is that the spring is too stiff. They seem to get set in place — bike people call this "stiction". I just press on the heel to free them up if they're jammed. You could try oiling the shaft, as well.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

7. joiji

joiji Senior member

8. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

One of my pet hates with the Vass trees - bloody painful to take out especialy on my boots...
    Must admit they are finely carfted piece of art, esp the lasted U shape tree. ...I find the curves on them very sexxxy to stare at.

9. rikod

rikod Senior member

What size are you?, If you are in the middle of full sizes you could request the smaller size tree. I have the opposite problem, I'm in the middle of sizes (about 40.5) and they send some of my trees size 40 and they are a bit loose (except for the 3 piece trees), In some shoes I have to put an insole to be able to fit the tress well. I request trees 41 and they a are tight but fine.

10. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

I have pairs in both 44,5 and 44 G-width, which both have trees in 44 that seems too small and don't fill out the shoes properly, main problem would be that the trees are too low at the vamp area. When I got a new pair of trees in size 45 from Rezso, the fit was better in both pairs, but they were almost impossible to get out of the shoes. Had to like fight for ten minutes on each shoe, terrible. So now I'm back with the size 44 trees, they are difficult enough to get out.

I think that's what causing the problems when trying to pull out the trees is that the front part of the heel area meet the back of the front part of the trees, preventing the tree to bend and be pushes together enough to be easily pulled out, if you understand what I mean. Would actually be quite easy to solve I think, if they just shaped the inner parts where the spring sits differently, so that the tree could be bent a bit more. Just my two cents.

11. archangle13

I am in between sizes too, and they gave me the bigger trees. But I filed the heel of the trees to the point that it is actually more than half a size smaller.

And the shoe trees still take a huge amount of strength to take out.

BTW, for those with half sizes and larger shoe trees, do you have annoying stretch marks at the side of your shoes when new?

12. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Just turn the shoe so the toe area rests on the floor and push down hard using the round tip sticking out of the tree. Never had a problem.

13. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Bingo. That's what I meant by pushing in the heel; you just have to get things moving.

14. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Next time; jusk ask for a three piece shoe tree.

15. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

3-piece shoe tree = better?