• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of OE plain, Saddle cordovan, U last

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And something completely different, theresianer in blue calf, New Peter Last

My mistake was ordering this pair with a double sole, I think a single sole would look better

Fiddler

Reaction score

My mistake was ordering this pair with a double sole, I think a single sole would look better
Great colour...very understated for navy.

Silence

Reaction score

This model is meant to be a double-sole one, right? Is the heel lifted off the horizontal plane?

I read that singe-sole models that are made on the double sole have the heels lifted at the front. I wonder if a double-sole model will be the opposite if made with a single sole.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
This model is meant to be a double-sole one, right? Is the heel lifted off the horizontal plane?

I read that singe-sole models that are made on the double sole have the heels lifted at the front. I wonder if a double-sole model will be the opposite if made with a single sole.

The problem to which you refer is the "HAF" sole or two-into-one, where there is a double sole on the front of the foot that is skived away into a single sole over the waist, giving a more elegant, tapered look. With a full double sole, the extra layer extends all the way to the heel, so there is balance with the extra layer on the forefoot. But with the two-into-one, the double layer on the forefoot ceases before the waist and does not extend over the the heel, leaving the heel and sole slightly out of kilter. But if you ask, they will put an extra layer on the heel to compensate. I guess the reason they don't as a matter of course is aesthetic - as the sole in the waist area next to the heel is single, the heel looks taller if they add a layer. But they should.

Anyway, the point is that this is irrelevant to the full double sole, which should be perfectly in balance. It's just a matter then of what you like.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes dark brown shell is great, what last?

3636 which fits very well when the left shoe is 44 and the right 43.5. Definitely a shorter last, but very comfortable.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here
ir
is a link to a pdf that is marginally better than the website. You can mix/match and just about do whatever from what I've seen.
thank you
So... I have something coming from Vass.... it weighs 3.3 pounds, but I don't know what it is... any ideas? :D
sick, post pics once u get it :D

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saddle Shell on the Budapest Last from the new batch in outdoor natural light. At first the color was a bit mundane, but I added some Venetian polish and a touch of Mahogany Saphir which made them more classic Chestnut. Really like the way that turned out. Spring is here so time for Chestnut colored shoes!

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, which Vass model would be the closet to JL city II shoes? Does anyone have pics of the Vass equivalent ( if there is one ) in museum brown equivalent? Thanks

Old English plain without heel counter with a single leather sole in black calf on the F last

rikod should be able to share a lot more.

Last edited:

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3636 which fits very well when the left shoe is 44 and the right 43.5. Definitely a shorter last, but very comfortable.

So you get one shoe in 44 and the other in 43.5? :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads