1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Curiosity really. Fit on these in 45 feels good. I'd say slightly more generous than P2 though a bit shorter. Seems as if the quarters will be completely closed. Will assess further after break in.

2. barky

barky Senior member

Frank, is the R instep higher than the F and P2? And if you have the time, can you please shoot a few comparison shots of the 3 lasts. Thanks much.

3. FrankCowperwood

I don't have a pair on the F last yet, so I can compare instep. I'll take some comparison photos of the P2 and R for you certainly and I'll see if I can formulate a useful opinion on the relative instep height of the two.

4. barky

barky Senior member

Thanks Frank! I am convinced a cordo or grain Budapester derby with single goyser on the R would be killer but if the instep is higher than F or P2, that's a no go for me.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  5. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

More Budapest love .....
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

These do look better with the lighter colors. The upper has a chance to be appreciated as separate from the sole. I got an all-black pair with Goyser stitching, and by comparison, they look like pontoons. Good enough for snowy days with flannel suits, but I wouldn;'t try that again.

Are yours straight Cognac, or antique? (Or original Cognac with a lot of conditioner added?)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

sstomcat - very nice - I got nuthin' but love for that Budapester vibe.

Concordia - I have to say I don't think black is well suited to this style, but I do think the renditions I have seen in oxblood and dark brown look terrific.

8. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

These are classics, but you have to like them to appreciate them. Again these are not for all, specially those with a fascination for the chiseled shape shoes like U and K. I'm a pretty big guy, 6'2 size 45.5 and I think these go pretty well on my feet with both dark and light colored cotton khakis. I don't like wool so never wore them so unsure how they will look on formal trousers.

These are cognac scotch grain with a coat of reno and light brown Saphir paste wax, so I would say they are pretty much original.

9. Concordia

Good show. If I needed another pair with double-soles, I'd put that on the list.

10. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Personal preferences I guess but I do love my shell in black, it does have a certain uniqueness to it with the added shell sheen.

11. Concordia

Vass made Budapesters/Budapest last with shell? That's a miracle.

12. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

13. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

I'm not sure what the deal is but the black ones I posted here are shell.

14. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Senior member

15. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Exemplary. Worth an un-spoiled quote.

16. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I have shells on the Budapest and 3636 lasts. Love them.

17. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

I am totally leaning toward a shell Budapester for my first pair of Vass handmades. Something like one of these.[​IMG][​IMG] tomcat said the Budapest last runs a bit snug in the toe box when compared to other Vass lasts. Maybe the 3636 will do because I like the classic Astro-Hungarian style, real old school.

18. FrankCowperwood

The Budapest is a little narrow, at least compared to the P2. I wear 45F in P2 but need 45G in Budapest, which then fits very nicely. I have not tried the 3636 yet, but don't abandon the Budapest. It is so classic and distinctive with that high toe box.

19. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Agreed. The Vass commando sole is fierce. Is Vass still having issues with their rubber soles partially coming off?

20. prettywish

prettywish Active Member

sorry another question about sizing. I did go through many pages but I could not get the answer.
    I am good with EG 888 last. sized 6.5F. I believe I should go to EU 40 with the F last. but I am not sure if I need go to standard "F" width, or wider width "G".
    I think F last with standard width should be very elegant, if the G width too wide? if the "G' width equals US "E" width or much like "EE" width?