The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

I forgot to add, depends on your feet actually; if you have narrow feet then you may be able to stick o the same size.I thought i would wear the same size oo; but when I tried it in Budapest I needed to size up for the U-last.

2. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Ouch, will double monks size 41 U last fit? Or will they be to small...

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I appreciate that this is all subjective (and points to the benefit of an explanation from the maker of the differences between the lasts) but while I find the toe box wider on the F-last, I do not find the shoe wider-fitting overall as compared with the U-last.

4. terrorsquad

Oddly Hampton, tried a pair of double monks in U-last in their store and Mr Vass told me that I had to size up 0.5 from my size from the U-last.

I'll post a comparison picture between the U-last and F-last in the same size from above tomorrow.

It may be the case that you may wear the same sizes for both lasts like RogerP but if you are unable to try them in person, I personally would size up half a size for U-last.Ask Rezso to send you another pair of leather insoles just in case the shoe is too long for you.

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Across the board I generally wear a UK9, US 10D or Euro 43. I know peeps are probaly getting sick of this pic, but these are, left to right, K, F, U last. All 43. All fit. I would say my feet are a touch on the wide side with a slightly high instep.

[​IMG]

If I went up to a 43.5 on either the U or K, I'd be worried about heel slippage.

You can only get so far trying to e-fit your shoes, because invariably some of the information you will receive will be conflicting. Ultimately you have to make your best guess, understand the return policy of the particular vendor, then take a leap of faith.

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

Interesting. I am 10D/E US and 9E/EE UK on the wider side and 43.5 in U last pinches my little toe right up front that I had to get rid of it...

7. terrorsquad

I totally agree with this

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Do a bit of research here, and it often helps if you already own some shoes from manufactures the retail shop is familiar with (sells). But as Roger says, do your best, understand the return policy of the particular vendor, then take a leap of faith.

Remember your feet don't always match those who may be doing their best to provide you with helpful information.

9. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

Roger correct - there should be no difference in fitting on the U & F last, maybe F a touch more roomy at the toe
    by a margin of say 2% to 5%.

In fairness to Terror - I have lived and worked in KL and Singapore, the humidity and heat makes your body mass swell
    and I couldn't wear any of my hand sewn shoes - Flip-flips and Sandals were my everyday attire in the office.

10. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Don't forget the possibility to go up in width. I wear 44 in F and have one pair of U-last in 44,5 and one pair in 44 G-width (F-width is standard), and for me the 44 G-width fits perfect, probably the best fitting shoes I own. I normally wear size 10uk in most lasts and makers, and I'd say that like Hampton my feet are slightly on the wide side, at least my right foot, and with a high instep. The U-last size 44,5 works but they are to long and do pinch my big toe from above a bit because of too much leather that has to go somewhere when I take a step. I don't fit in regular size 44, then my toes get squeezed from the sides due to the narrow toe box.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013

11. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I don't know. That's a nice photo of three really nice shoes. I can keep looking at it.

12. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Will skip VASS since I can't try them in real life.

WIll pick me up a pair in C&J and GG instead, safe side since I know my size.

13. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

Don't give up too easily....life not complete without a pair of Vass....and Lobb.

14. chogall

chogall Senior member

Don't settle for lesser shoes.

15. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

GG lesser than Vass? Pretty bold statement.