The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

  1. dddrees

    dddrees Senior member

    Messages:
    9,161
    Likes Received:
    1,281
    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2012
    Thanks.

    I've been looking for something a bit more fun and funky.

    But different than most, even here on this forum.

    I saw them awhile ago, but didn't decide to actualy pull the trigger until today.

    Hopefully it wont take to long to get them.
     
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013


  2. gyasih

    gyasih Senior member

    Messages:
    5,413
    Likes Received:
    818
    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2010
    No duties on my pair from Vass.
     


  3. RogerP

    RogerP Senior member

    Messages:
    8,354
    Likes Received:
    5,763
    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2012
    Location:
    Oakville, Ontario, CANADA
    Good stuff man. The first pair of Vass I purchased were tri-colour oxfords that were waaaay out there relative to the rest of the shoes I own. I had second thoughts up until when they actually arrived - now, they are just about my favourite shoes. If you've got the basics covered, live a little, says I.
     


  4. dddrees

    dddrees Senior member

    Messages:
    9,161
    Likes Received:
    1,281
    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2012
    Absolutely, I couldn't agree more.[​IMG]
     


  5. RogerP

    RogerP Senior member

    Messages:
    8,354
    Likes Received:
    5,763
    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2012
    Location:
    Oakville, Ontario, CANADA
    gyasih - I can't speak to the US importing experience, but in addition to shoes / clothes, I am pretty deeply into custom knives and watches - so I quite often have inbound packages. [​IMG]

    In Canada, importing via courier gets you nailed for duties + taxes + brokerage fees almost every single time. Importing via trackable postal delivery comes through clean probably 75-80% of the time. MUCH better odds of avoiding a nearly 20% hit (depending on the product in question).

    All three of my Vass shoes (2 from Ascot, I from a forum member) were shipped registered post and came through with zero duties assessed.

    One pair of Loakes I ordered from Herring were sent by courier and I think they collected nearly 25% from me at the door. Ouch.

    Having Vass send me the shoes would involve increased costs in sending a wire transfer (my bank charges something like $35) and paying a higher price for courier versus postal delivery. That alone partially closes the price gap with resellers. Now if the Vass-direct shoes get the full tax-grab (all but guaranteed), while the reseller pair comes through clean - the latter pair will actually be cheaper.

    That's my reality. Yours may differ.
     


  6. bertie

    bertie Senior member

    Messages:
    808
    Likes Received:
    146
    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Location:
    North of
    Ahhhh Canada where everything costs 25 percent more.
     


  7. bertie

    bertie Senior member

    Messages:
    808
    Likes Received:
    146
    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Location:
    North of
    Ahhhh Canada where everything costs 25 percent more.
     


  8. gyasih

    gyasih Senior member

    Messages:
    5,413
    Likes Received:
    818
    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2010
    Hi RogerP, my pair didn't get hit with duties. I don't recall how Vass marked them. But it worked out great considering they wouldn't do anything to reduce my risk of getting hit with duties, when I asked them, but it showed up like that anyways.
     


  9. n-domino

    n-domino Senior member

    Messages:
    181
    Likes Received:
    49
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2012
    Location:
    TX
    Interesting.

    When I placed my order back in January I asked Mr. Kuti if it was possible for Vass to send me the shoes via Magyar Posta because the brokerage fees levied against incoming packages can be outrageous if they are sent using FedEx. I mentioned I didn't mind paying custom fees.

    In his response he said they don't ship via Magyar and only use FedEx. He proceeded to mention that they would mark the value of the package at 90 Euros. So I was thus able to avoid the brokerage fees - and custom fees, for that matter (which just happened to be an added bonus). This was my experience.
     


  10. dddrees

    dddrees Senior member

    Messages:
    9,161
    Likes Received:
    1,281
    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2012
    I've done a couple of searches, but I've not been able to find anything conclusive. Can someone tell me a bit about the K Last in regards to fit?

    Would the F be an easier Last to work with?

    I wear the following:

    Edward Green – 11UK\ 11 ½ D US Last 82
    Gaziano & Girling - 11 UK E \ 11 ½ US in the TG73 Last
    John Lobb – 10 ½ UK \ 11 ½ D US Last 9795R William II
     
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013


  11. Ilovelobbs

    Ilovelobbs Senior member

    Messages:
    687
    Likes Received:
    69
    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2013
    Oh....this pair gonna bling in the office...I just love the contrasting toe cap.

    You must be some high flying Wall St. Lawyer.
     


  12. Ilovelobbs

    Ilovelobbs Senior member

    Messages:
    687
    Likes Received:
    69
    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2013
    I own several EG 82 last and TG73 last - I would say the fitting similar to the K last.

    I own 3 pairs of the William II on the 9795R last - it's a closer resemblence to the F last.
     


  13. stevent

    stevent Senior member

    Messages:
    9,556
    Likes Received:
    1,431
    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2010
    

    Thanks was looking at ascot for some other shoes
     


  14. Ilovelobbs

    Ilovelobbs Senior member

    Messages:
    687
    Likes Received:
    69
    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2013
    I have used Ascot Shoes in the past for my maiden voyage into the Vass brand - very knowledgeable guys with experience in other
    English brands like EG & Lobbs, so their advice and comparison on other shoe brands paramount into getting my first
    Vass correctly.

    Business has recently allowed me to travel to Budapest frequently last year, so I am in a fortunate position to buy direct
    & order with cash in the store. Ascot and other SF members seem to be very reliable and knowledgeable in the Vass
    brand, so you can't go wrong, either way.

    Ascot started a sale this weekend - so picked up a pair of RTW Old English Chelsea for $595 exc VAT
    and sent to my Swiss work place - I instructed them to use normal post, so there be no fees to pay.

    I am not sure how they do it, but they have sourced some extremely hard to find Lobbs for me in the past.
     
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013


  15. NAMOR

    NAMOR Senior member

    Messages:
    20,576
    Likes Received:
    3,450
    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2010
    Location:
    Heavenly & Northstar
    ^ rogerp makes very good posts. Also Vass doesn't deduct the 20% vat making ascot that much more relatively attractive
     


Share This Page

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by